Have to sell my bike due to home repair issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to sell my bike due to home repair issues

Need to sell my XJ1100, have some plumbing repair issues that I won't have the money for otherwise that I need to get taken care of before they get worse. I need to sell the bike as that is the only way I can come up with the money. I have about $1200 into her so far, but would take $1000.

1982 XJ1100 with 1979 XS1100(2H7 engine)
    Motorcycle runs, idles fast, but probably just needs idle screw adjusted. It has leather/artificial leather saddle bags. The tank is maroon with some dings in it and I have black side covers for it. I replaced the rubber boots between tank and carb. Replaced the missing left rearview mirror so it has both now. I have an ACCT and a gasket that should be arriving shortly along with new plugs that I will put in. It does need new tires. It does have a title, which I paid to have transferred, but have waited two months so far to get the new one in my name.

The bike is in Minnesota, just southwest of Minneapolis about 20 miles. If interested, please let me know. I would like to sell to a member here rather than list on Craigslist.
    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

It does already have the newer style fuse box.

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Also, bike has 48k miles, unknown on the engine.

Comment

And issue has been resolved and don't need to sell my bike after all thankfully. For $34 I installed an access panel and fixed the issue myself! If an admin could delete this I would appreciate it.

Comment

Good for you! Glad you saved yourself from the anguish you would have felt after letting her go!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Toying with selling the motorcycle, I just don't have the time, knowhow, skill or money to get it on the road I would enterain offers as low as $800 I have $1200 into it give or take including purchase price. Still waiting on the title from Minnesota dmv, going on three months now. I think I would be better off, trying to squirrel away some money and getting a fully working motorcyle without quirks.

Comment

It is all about time and money, takes one or the other to get a working bike. The knowhow is all available here on this site. Truly there is enough knowledge skill and good will here to either walk you through any task you need to complete, or sometimes come to help you do it. So that should not discourage you.

However, it will take more time and less money to fix the one you have, or less time and perhaps alot more money to sell it and buy one that is turn key. Only you can decide which is more important to you. If you lived closer I would be happy to come help, or come look it over for my next project bike.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks DGXSER, just really frustrated right now, and feel like I am in a financial bind and way over my head with trying to get it to run. Maybe this winter I'll have some cash and can take it to a shop who can at least point me in the right direction. This is my first bike and just want to ride

Comment

Originally posted by pbaker27 View Post
                  Thanks DGXSER, just really frustrated right now, and feel like I am in a financial bind and way over my head with trying to get it to run. Maybe this winter I'll have some cash and can take it to a shop who can at least point me in the right direction. This is my first bike and just want to ride
                  There are a few other guys in your area. Why dont you reach out to them for some direction. A shop is just going drain your funds and give you no returns.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I can understand the just want to ride part. What is the current issue keeping you from riding it? Some things you can put off until winter to get some seat time in, others you just have to tackle first.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

It was running, then I replaced the CCT with an ACCT following all instructions and swapped out plugs after gapping them correctly. Now it won't start at all. It turns over, but will not start. I just thought of something, I need to make sure I didn't pull an ID 10 T error and run it out of fuel. /forehead smack

Comment

Originally posted by pbaker27 View Post
                        It was running, then I replaced the CCT with an ACCT following all instructions and swapped out plugs after gapping them correctly. Now it won't start at all. It turns over, but will not start. I just thought of something, I need to make sure I didn't pull an ID 10 T error and run it out of fuel. /forehead smack
                        Well, just in case that isn't the problem, did you reverse the plug wires when you swapped out plugs? Is the off-on-off switch on the right handle bar in the on position?
                        Have you taken a plug out and, leaving it connected and laying on the head, hit the start button, and looked to see if you are getting a fat blue spark?
                        Usually, when we go in to do something, another thing in the way, or associated with what we were doing, gets jiggled, disconnected, or somehow affects the outcome, so the best thing we can do is to go back and try to see what we could have affected by our actions in the first place.
                        Good luck, CZ

Comment

So, no id 10 t error with the gas, have plenty in the tank. yah, the engine shutoff button is moved to the on position, the bike won't even try to start if that is off. Had the choke out, and both fuel lines set to on. the inner spark plug wires are only long enough to reach the inner plugs, so don't believe that is the problem. If I have time tonight I'll check for spark. One of the caps at the end of one of the inner plug wires has some of the plastic broken off of it. Was going to order a new one to replace it.

Comment

Try setting your fuel taps to PRIME. If it feels like it is out of gas, and you still have the OCTY or vacuum valve in our fuel system, the diaphram may have gotten torn or just worn out and not opening to let fuel flow.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Check to see if your plugs are dry or wet. If they're dry, then no fuel is getting sucked in. If they're damp then you're getting some fuel, then check to see if they're sparking like CZ said.
                              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                              The Green Monster
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                              Got him in '04.
                              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                              Scarlet
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                              Hugo
                              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                              X