Have to sell my bike due to home repair issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbaker27 View Post
    Normally I am mechanically inclined, but something about the motorcycle that just feels beyond my ability to work on it

But hey, at least she wants me to use the money towards a motorcycle
    There is nothing on this bike that is not on other bikes, there are just more of them. Take a deep breath, say a few ohmms, and figure that you are smarter than a machine.
    Now, I re-read this thread, and you stated that all you did was to change plugs, and put in a ACCT.
    Yet, in a previous post, you said that you replaced the boots between the carbs and head. Did you? Right there is a whole new area for problems.
    Make a list of EVERYTHING that you did since it was running, and post it here. And also list what portion of the suggestions given, that you have or haven't tried.
    Problem solving is a process, with the answer found from one step determining what the next step will be. So if you have loosened the bowl drains, and turned on the petcocks, and looked for gas to run out, we can assume that the carbs have gas, and if the plugs are dry, we can try to figure out another cause for that result. If you haven't done that, we don't know which way to go.
    You are going to have to be our eyes, hands, and ears, and if you want to learn, what better place to be.
    Now, make a list of EVERYTHING that you have done since it ran, no matter how inconsequential, and everything that was suggested, and you haven't done, no matter how inconsequential, and let us know. We can make this work. CZ
    Last edited by CaptonZap; 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Here is everything I have done to the bike and what the status was after.

after buying bike-
      choke had to be full out or bike wouldn't run, bike backfired, idled at 5k rpm

installed new battery-
      na

bought airbox, and installed it-
      bike ran without choke out, only needed choke to start, backfired, idled at 5k rpm

cleaned up wire connections-
      turn signals and hazards worked in front

replaced fuse for lights with correct ampage-
      all turn signals, hazards and break lights worked

checked spark plug, one was fouled, pulled it out and cleaned it-
      bike ran without backfiring, idled at 2k RPM

replaced intake boots between engine/carbs-

cleaned carbs/adjusted float heights-

replaced standard CCT with ACCT, replaced spark plugs, put a cover on the front nipple on the left petcock-
      bike will not start but occasionally backfires

checked spark plugs for spark-
      all plugs have spark

checked each whole with finger for compression -
      all wholes have compression(try to suck/push finger out)

check if fuel on spark plug ends after pulling-
      plugs are dry

removed cover from left petcock front nipple-
      bike still does not start and front two nipples both leak, but they leaked since I got it

I'll check the bowl drains to see if I get any fuel out tonight. One question about the idle screw, which way do I turn it to make it idle faster? Wondering if that just needs adjusting or would that even have anything to do with how much fuel is going to the engine?
      Last edited by pbaker27; 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM.
      Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

OK, now we have a better picture of what was done.
        Just as a matter of "Let's make sure that isn't the problem," swap the grey and orange wires going to the coils, and try to start it. If they got pulled out while you were messing with the carbs, and were put back in reversed, it would act as you are describing.
        If there is no change in response, put them back the way they were, and then you can check the bowl drains for gas.
        Actually, check the bowls first, just to make sure you have gas.
        It would also be a good idea for you to go here;
        http://http://www.ringler.us/xs1100/...viceManual.pdf
        Page 2-13 will have useful info, and a read through the whole manual would stand you in good stead.
        I'll check back later, to see what you have found out, and, to answer your question, the idle screw acts opposite to that of a faucet.
        Turn the idle screw clockwise as you look at the top of it to increase the idle speed.
        Counter clockwise to slow it down.
        But then, you will have seen that on page 2-9.
        Later, CZ

Comment

I will try to do that tonight, but at this point, I am starting to think selling it is the best idea I have had with it right now. I am very gunshy at the moment about riding any motorcycle since a guy I have been friends with for 25 years, who has been riding for 20 of those years was hit by a car on his motorcycle last night and is in ICU.

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

I get the being gun shy part. My neighbor was ready to buy Banshee when I finished the project, then I wrecked a month before I was ready to finish it up. Now he will not get on one, and I still ride. Interesting isn't it. And I bet your friend will be right back on one as well, soon as he is able.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

And its unfortunate, but seems like every day, i get some other sign that either this is not the bike for me or I shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Comment

Its all choices. Every time you stand up out of bed you take a risk of some type. People slip in the tub hit their head and fall down and drown every day. Going to stop showering? I get it is not the same odds, but for me, I love it to much, the reward is worth the risk.

Then again, I see that Full Metal Jousting show and think "what complete goofball idiots!!" But for them, the reward is worth the risk.

You just have to decide where that line is for you.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Funny you mention the full metal jousting dudes, I work at the local renfest and yah, the jousters are not the brightest bulbs on the tree...

Comment

Interestingly enough, a local XSive is very good friends with the host of that show. Have not met the gentleman yet, but I am sure he would think I am a nut job. Wrecked a bike, broke about twenty bones in less than ten seconds, three months in a wheel chair, and I still ride. So to each their own. You still will not see me on a horse letting someone stab me with a bigazz pole!!

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

The pole part can be blocked, what I think is silly is purposefully falling from said horse in full armor, that does not really absorb the impact so well, at least with a motorcycle if you are in full protection, there is much better padding generally....thank goodness for modern technology.

Comment

left coil wires 1and4 right coil wires 2and3

Comment

[QUOTE=pbaker27;387763]The pole part can be blockedQUOTE]

Actually, that is against the rules. No blocking the other lance, or moving to avoid being hit.

As to which coil goes to which wires, well, that all depends who put the wires in last, and who put the pick-up coils in last. They can often get crossed up.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

see how much I pay attention to jousting, lol!

Comment

Just so happens one of the local XSives happens to be good friends with the gentleman that host the FMJ show. The only reason I know much of anything about it.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

So, still having bad luck this year, my fridge is dieing, so SWMBO and I bought a new fridge. I really need to sell my bike I will drop the price to $700 for anyone on the boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X