Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STANDARD fork air cap/valve

Need to buy!
    Disassembled a set of venturer forks in prep for new seals. One cap looks to have taken some damage in a previous life.

Special caps will NOT fit, special valves will NOT fit (however, if you need either of those I have plenty!)

Let me know!

Last edited by Dbshea; 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarify buying, not selling. Mods, feel free to edit title
    79 F

Easily fixable........then I'd suggest you give Andreas a call at his listed number where he lists parts available. He may likely have some extra air-chuck valves for the Standard forks.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Easily fixable........then I'd suggest you give Andreas a call at his listed number where he lists parts available. He may likely have some extra air-chuck valves for the Standard forks.
      I think the cap itself is salvageable. Might be a little ugly, but this bike is no show stopper.

I am thinking the easiest route will be to build a balance kit and just plumb in a T. Do you by chance know the thread of that valve body? Trial and error will probably be my friend...

Also motorman, have you been inside your H forks? These came off an H but the springs are not progressive, and are actually just slightly longer than stock spec. Was a bit surprised by that.
      79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
        I think the cap itself is salvageable. Might be a little ugly, but this bike is no show stopper.

I am thinking the easiest route will be to build a balance kit and just plumb in a T. Do you by chance know the thread of that valve body? Trial and error will probably be my friend...

Also motorman, have you been inside your H forks? These came off an H but the springs are not progressive, and are actually just slightly longer than stock spec. Was a bit surprised by that.
        Ddshea, gettin' way to old to even fit in them. Pulled them some 5-6yrs. ago, had them professionally taken completely apart, cleaned, dryed and put back together with 15w Silkolene and new seals. I also quit using any air in forks.
        As for the springs in yours............who knows which PO had them apart previously.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I always thought they were 1/4" npt threads with a schrader valve on top. Might be wrong though I guess.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1%...schrader+valve
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            I always thought they were 1/4" npt threads with a schrader valve on top. Might be wrong though I guess.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1%...schrader+valve
            That may be the case for a special? These caps are thread m10x1.25 and I'm playing hell trying to find a suitable replacement. Might end up getting creative.
            79 F

Comment

Let me look and see what I have Dan. I think there's a set of Standard air forks out in the pile-o-parts.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Here is how I have mine done, courtesy of mindwebs and Dragon tamer.

Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

check your PMs Dan
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I managed to salvage the set I have by tapping the broken valve seat to accept the special valv (m8x1.0 if any stumbled upon this)

We'll see if she holds air and move forward from there.
                    79 F

Comment

Working...
                    X