Yamaha Venture Full Dress Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Marco... I've owwned 2 ST1100s a '95 and a '01. Both were awesome sport touring platforms...they do everything well but never stand out in any one area. The ST1300 is also a an excellent sport tourer...its fuel injected whereas the 1100 is carbuerated. I have always preferred the styling of the 1100 over the 1300...and the gauge pkg on the 1300 is partially digital...it can wash out in bright sun and you also cant see your blinking turn signals...the 1100 is all analog gauges which I also prefer....Both platforms are rock solid...dead nuts reliable,,,well known for their endurance and longevity...it is not unheard of to obtain 300000+ miles on them...they never burn oil and the 1100's would get 48-50mpg....If you haven't already...check out ST-Owners.com and ST-Riders.net both sites have 1100 and 1300 owners...there is a wealth of information and lots of great folks just like here at CH11...
    I remember that thread a while back where you posted pics of your ST's ... both beauties, by the way ...

I'll definitely check out the ST forums ...

I'm curious, Ben ... What makes you say that very few people are comfortable on the ST's right out of the box?

Is the bar/seat/pegs relationship a little quirky as delivered? Windshield height and/or angle? Buffeting? The windshields are adjustable, yes?
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Marco...if you go over to those sites you will read many posts on people farkling their STs for comfort and more convenience....My own experiences also confirm that straight out of the box there was not enough comfort. The OEM seats had the wrong angle...especially the 1100 s...you would be sliding your crotch into the gas tank top. The 1300 seat does have height adjustments the 1100 doesn't have but it still left a lot of folks something to be desired...so yes it is the relationship between the seat..footpegs and handlebars...Some people are lucky and they fit to the STs without the need to" dial them in"... but most folks need to improve upon OEM ergonomics....Honda has never offered cruise control like they do on the GW. but a good electronic cc is out there...My own experience was that after buying abike with aftermarket helibars and electronic cruise control .iaddedsime highway pegs...I stlll wasn't dine...I discovered d that even worked OEM seats are too low and my entire body was cramped and very uncomfortable... Finally I discovered a seat that raised me 2" and all my aches and pains magically disappeared... I have owned a fair number of bikes and all if them except the STs I was able to get on and just ride without any of those aches and pains...as always YMMV...
      Last edited by madmax-im; 09-12-2014, 06:22 AM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

So once you have dialed in your ST for comfort...it is an amazing machine...it may lack a little soul and there isnt much engine to look at...but if you want to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours or less this bike will do that with ease. It will do everything well and keep you smiling all the while.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I just found this...

with 66000... is pristine...wow wow wow !!!
          http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/4657758733.html

Last edited by madmax-im; 09-13-2014, 02:46 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

and this is local to me

about 10 miles away...same price as the Red one with 20k more miles...the Red one is in upstate NY...
            http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4622656161.html

1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I would be reluctant to buy any bike with 84,000 miles on it, even if it is a bike that's easily capable of 200,000+ miles.

Unless you knew exactly how it was cared for, it could be a lot of potential problems.

The red one appears to have been well cared for ... and at least you would have a little breathing room as far as mileage is concerned.

I really like the red one ... are you thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these, Ben?
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

well Marco ...I bought my 2001 ST1100 with 94000 already on it...maintainence and the documentation that went with the bike convinced me it was good...and it was...I put another 50000 on it with only one mechanical failure and then sold it
                If given a choice between the 2... I would go for the Red one in NY...it looks to be pristine and very well taken care of....The white one is 10 miles away so it offers me an oportunity to go look at one and possibly test ride it. I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger on one of these,but the more I see and learn the more I am liking it.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Careful... once you ride one you will be hooked!
                  Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                  80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                  82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                  82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                  82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                  72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                  72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                    I would be reluctant to buy any bike with 84,000 miles on it, even if it is a bike that's easily capable of 200,000+ miles.

Unless you knew exactly how it was cared for, it could be a lot of potential problems.
                    Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                    well Marco ...I bought my 2001 ST1100 with 94000 already on it...maintainence and the documentation that went with the bike convinced me it was good...and it was...I put another 50000 on it with only one mechanical failure and then sold it
                    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!! Maint. records and docs that more or less proved the ST was well cared for ...

Hopefully one or both of these Ventures has similar paperwork ...
                    Last edited by Prisoner6; 09-13-2014, 01:40 PM.
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                    X