Eliminate Sqeaky Brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminate Sqeaky Brakes.

As part my rebuild I installed new EBS copper sintered brake pads on my G.
    After a while they started squeaking, no - more like squealing like pigs!!
    Every time I pulled up to a light, I got stares. And when riding with others.... the comments were always forthcoming.
    I sanded the rotors to no avail. So I tried a trick I used to employ on my VWs and Volvos.
    I removed the calipers and pads, sanded the rotors with 80 grit, and then I grooved the pads. I grooved the pads by putting them in a vice, lengthwise, then using a hacksaw I cut a perpendicular groove leaving aout 1/8" of backing. This creates two +/- 1.25" X 1.25" pads on the metal backing.
    I then applied some of that 'special' brakepad grease on the backs of the pads, re-installed them, and re-assembled the calipers.
    Haven't heard a squeak or squeal since.
    Hope this helps if you're experiencing the same issue.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

I had a similar issue on the front with some Vesrah semi-metallic pads and I did a similar thing except I cut a very shallow X across the pads. Squeal went away and I still have the pads installed (though most of the X is now worn away).

Not sure why this worked other than guessing that it helped get some of the brake dust out from between the pad and rotor.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
    X