No announcement yet.

2021 Colorado Rally, July 15-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun day of twisties in the Ozarks. 340 miles riding from south MO to far NW MO. MO is a great state abbreviation as in MO' Curves. Good I made that weather adjustment to my route on Sunday as my originally planned route into Illinois then west from Hannibal would have put me right underneath yesterday's severe weather from that pesky Low.

Needed one route adjustment yesterday to stay away from rain.. Seemed all Missouri was low grey / black clouds yesterday. Instead of north then west went west then north and stayed dry. Road was fantastic yippie bike ride. Max temp was 66° yesterday.

Now on the flats. 1,000 miles behind me and 730 miles to go. Now it's just straight due west from here to the Rockies like 640 miles straight due west. Elevation here 1,200 ft so starting that gradual elevation increase to 5,280 ft then with Joe to 14,000 on Mt Evans next week.

Cool / Chilly riding Sat, Sun & Mon since leaving Atlanta. Now out of the influence of that Low pressure so be sunny 97° today.

That's about it. Still riding. Had fun so far. Be checking out the Pony Express stuff in St Joesph early today then into Kansas.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

In an unrelated note, do any of you XSives need anything from the pile-o-parts? If it's not too big i can carry it up there in the car.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Arrived the Front Range at the base of the Rockies. 1,670 miles from Atlanta. Short stopped each day expecting super cells and tornadoes which never happened. So only 334 miles per day vs more. Plus enjoyed adding the extra curves in GA, TN, KY & MO.
        Good Ride. Surprising how Temps have been cool to chilly all the way from Georgia. In previous years have had to deal with 100+ temps and nasty humidity but not this time.
        Today was a north wind and the best it got was 68 out on the open range. Actually been more like the late September rides I have taken to Colorado. Been nice not to be a dirty hot & sweaty. Sitting in Greeley tonight. Will head over the hill tomorrow AM. Have a Permit for a noon arrival to ride over Rocky Mtn National Park Trail Ridge. Then Kremmling.

Pavement has been overall pretty good. Only dangerous SHOW STOPPER that I saw was in St Joseph MO onto US36. Major hole in the concrete all the way down to rusty rebar. Would eat a motorcycle wheel, bend the forks and slap the rider down hard. I know our AMA has an advocacy panel about unsafe road conditions but I will find out if we can actually report extremely dangerous situations for motorcyclists to that group or if they are just working with States and Feds on making sure road repairs and construction also consider us bikers, not just cars and trucks. Mike got wonky in Nevada last year on a poorly marked off ramp that was being repaired.

Seems Bonz, OK Bob & Tim went for a Pre-Rally ride today to Durango. They will be back tomorrow at Rally Central. I should arrive by 3:30pm. Joe will be there early, then the others start arriving.

I got to ski on some of Colorado's finest Packed Powder today. Dirt not snow. Was a wreck (actually turned out to be a fatality) on remote part of US36 in Colorado so the few Trucks and cars that are out there were detoured on dirt 2 miles south, 4 miles west then 2 miles north. Was actually pretty smooth but if a cattle truck or semi was coming at me I had to stop and let them go by. #1 couldn't see for the dust. #2 couldn't control the bike unless I was riding in the middle of the road. Sides of the road were like brown flour. Could see where that would end up if you got into that stuff. Crazy how accidents like that can happen. Two lane highway. Absolutely nothing there but wheat, mile and miles of wheat. Can see 40 miles in any direction. Fireman i was talking with seemed to indicate it was where a dirt road came out on the highway and young people. Heard on his radio them saying Extraction, then small fire, the fatalities then highway closed for rest of day. Sad Makes one appreciate their family & friends

Jeff

BA: naw, nothing i can think of off hand for me. Have a good trip over tomorrow.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I noticed that Vultures kept circling around me in Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	865780

Imagine they were waiting for me to 'screw up' in one of the curves

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Arrived Kremmling at Rally Central
            Joe is here and Bohn. Waiting for the others

Good to be parked. Rode 1,900 miles to get here.
            Nice EZ 220 mile ride today in the Rockies. Rode the Big Thompson River US34 to Estes Park. Then down the mountain on US36 to Boulder.
            Then up Boulder Canyon to Nederland then back to Estes Park. Got into the Rocky Mtn Park at 11:15 (with my 11AM Entry Ticket) up to 12,100 ft on Trail Ridge. Really pretty day. Hit some spitting snow blobs and then some hail about 40 miles out from Kremmling. Only lasted about 4 miles. That hail hurts. Some pea sized and some marble sized. Dropped to 55 degrees then back to 77 degrees at Kremmling. Was surprised to look in the mirror and see the mountain peaks where I had just been 30 minutes before that were sunny now a wall of grey and black storms. Up above the tree line in a thunderstorm isn't the best place for motorcycling. I'm sure some got caught up there and got cold and wet.

Internet seems to work so will maybe post a few pictures later.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Soccer4m (Mike) is at myhouse for the nite(Thur.). He'll be up there at Kremmling tomorrow(Fri.) early afternoon. You all have a safe and great riding weekend!
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mike arrived Kremmling. Long ride from San Diego with stop at Motomans in Grand Junction.

Bonz had great ride plan today. 7am departure. 8am arrival at Ranger Booth on US34 Trail Ridge. Arrived 8am on the dot. We all got in free. (normally $25 a bike)

Was chilly high 40's when we started off. Then warmed up a bit. 77° riding back. 52° at the Summit today with light winds so it was comfortable riding up high.

Group up on Trail Ridge at 12,100 ft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210716_092004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.1 KB ID:	865796

We had a fun day of high altitude riding with 1,000 - 2,000 ft drop offs and NO guard rails. And some great hairpin curves.

as usual, herding cats deal so missing a few.
                So before you ask: Harry, Bob, Tim, Tom, Bonz, Russ, Rich, John, Scott, Jeff & of course Bonz.

Jeff & the Colorado Riders
                Last edited by JeffH; 07-16-2021, 05:34 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Perfect Rest Stop

Moose and calf

Name:	20210716_081353.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	865798

Scenic Valley with Rocky Mountains as backdrop

Name:	20210716_081412.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	865799
                  Sticking pretty close to mama while still exploring

Name:	20210716_081440.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	865800

Fun to watch and perfect rest stop.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

A few photos of todays Rally Ride on Trail Ridge

Certainly some amazing scenery

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0464.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	865802

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0425.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	865803

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0411.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	865804

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0403.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	865805

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0445.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	865806

Great day. All the bikes ran fine. No problems. Weather was spectacular.
                    Now back at Rally Central

Had a Group Dinner last night. We may do the same again tonight. Bonz was planning to have a cook out but there is a Stage II Burning Ban in place so no charcoal grills allowed (or camp fires).

XS Rallies are sure a great opportunity to do some good riding and have a fun time. Fun is an understatement, to we had a BLAST ......

Jeff
                    Last edited by JeffH; 07-16-2021, 06:16 PM.
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Colorado Rally Day 2

Another really good ride today. This time NW of Kremmling. 220 miles with a nice variety of scenery from high desert to aspen forests with a good lunch stop about 30 miles from Colorado / Wyoming state line.

​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0502.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.9 KB ID:	865831
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0522.JPG Views:	0 Size:	188.2 KB ID:	865832

​​​
                      HEADS UP: Range Cattle resting along the road and yep, you guessed it, that stuff in the road in p n' poo

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0529.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.7 KB ID:	865830
                      ​​​
                      GREAT SCENERY FANTASTIC ROAD REALLY GOOD HIGH SPEED SWEEPERS

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0590.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	865820

Will try and get more pics up later
                      Good Day / No Issues

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 07-18-2021, 06:38 PM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff I really appreciate these posts and living vicariously through all the details of your adventure.
                        Steve R

'80 SG
                        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                        1978 XS400E Red
                        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

We're already talking about next year's rally guys. And we still have tomorrow's 250 mi ride to go... SO looking forward to some new faces joining us. This is one you need to beg, steal or borrow to get out to.

I promise you will see scenery you have never seen before, experience fun roads that are fairly wide open with twisties and switchbacks that make it a truly rewarding experience, and lots of camaraderie and fellowship among riders that truly care about each other.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

A few more pics

Greg and his 11

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210716_081825.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.8 KB ID:	865826

Joe and his 11

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	865827

Tom's rockin' V Max

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	865828

jeff
                            Last edited by JeffH; 07-18-2021, 06:47 AM.
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff I can only see the last picture in this post. The other three just a placeholder where a picture should be. Of course I may be the only one with the problem, however everything else you have posted so far I can see. Looks like a great trip and thanks for posting.

You fixed it...or it just fixed itself... thanks.
                              Last edited by cajun31; 07-19-2021, 02:27 PM.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Today's ride was Berthoud Pass and Loveland Pass
                                Another day of great riding

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0751.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	865834

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0772.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	865835

Coming into the hairpins

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0755.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	865836

Sharp Curve, watching Bonz and the front of the ride group go by way below

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0762.JPG Views:	0 Size:	172.1 KB ID:	865837

We sure had a really great XS Colorado Rally. Three days of some great riding. Bonz, Bob & Tim had a two day 600 mile pre-rally ride before the rally. Joe & Greg headed home today. The rest of us we pack up and leave Kremmling in the morning (Monday). I'm talking off to ride the Million Dollar Highway and then the Dolores RIver Canyon in western Colorado tomorrow.

Thanks for Bonz for Organizing and Hosting another really great Colorado Rally

Jeff

None of those funny blocks showed up yet between these pics. There were none on the other set of pics either. Will see what happens with this set.
                                Could have something to do with the PC vs. Phone as I used both. But an upload pic shouldn't change or morph or disappear.
                                Last edited by JeffH; 07-18-2021, 07:06 PM.
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X