2021 Colorado Rally, July 15-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Colorado Rally, July 15-19

Merry Christmas Xs’ers! Hoping this finds you all doing well. Wanted to get out the info as it stands today for the 2021 Colorado Rally.

Colorado Rally 2021: Kremmling Colorado, July 15-19.

Begin Arriving on Thursday, July 15th and plan for a Friday ride for the guys that are there. Continue arrival on Friday the 16th with meet and greet at Red Mountain RV park in the evening. Main rides are Saturday and Sunday, with departure on Monday. This is a laid back rally, lots of riding to see Colorado sights with ride routes to be determined as the new year progresses. Rides in the past have been into Rocky Mountain National Park on Trail Ridge Road (highest continuous road in the United States), historic Steamboat Springs, down the Yampa River Valley. Looking at doing a loop through Walden Colorado as an option this year, and potentially Mt. Evans (highest paved road in the United States).

Command Central and group site camping: Red Mountain RV Park. Typical cook-out each evening, local restaurants within short distance of campground and even closer to the hotels covers all eating opportunities. On your own for breakfast, eat on the ride each day for lunch. Will make a reservation when they’re open again after the new year at the RV park.

Red Mountain RV Park Cabins: 877-375-9593, ask for Sarah.

Hotels/Motels:
    Super 8: https://www.reservations.com/hotel/s...UaAvAGEALw_wcB

Allington Inn and Suites:
    https://www.reservationcounter.com/h...saAtsyEALw_wcB

Hotel Eastin:
    https://hoteleastincolorado.com/

I look forward to the rally and hope this gets the info to you to consider attending.

Last edited by Bonz; 03-15-2021, 11:18 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Sounds great. A ride opportunity.
    Will be there if I can. Hopefully on a 2 wheel machine.

fwiw: booked the '8' for 15 - 19 as that worked super for us LD non-campers in 2017.
    Like Red Mtn, the Allington Inn is not taking summer reservations just yet until after Jan 1st.
    If I'm not riding the Grocery Scow we need a Plan B for getting all that food & drinks to the campground.

jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Lol, the Grocery Scow. The Great Pumpkin sounds much more dignified. With the guys trailering there will be vehicles to help do the grocery runs, no problemo.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Yeah, turning into a trailering group.
        but at least people still meeting & riding.

The heat, humidity, wind, thunderstorms, tornadoes are challenging & dangerous out there on 2 wheels. Trailering to rally eliminates a lot misery for those that need to get out of Missouri & Kansas. Greg toughs it out like me but on an xs11. True Grit ...............
        Last edited by JeffH; 12-28-2020, 08:43 AM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

With the distances guys are coming and with the weather traversing various parts of the country to get here, trailering makes the riding once out here all that more enjoyable. Not beat up and tired from just showing up lol. The California boys, you and Greg are quite the warriors.
          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

COOLIO BONZ, now to get the logistics and make it out there,,,maybe drag Roo,3Phase and others,,,,keep us informed, the CALI CREW,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego

Comment

Good to hear from you Mike, look forward to you guys making it.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                With the distances guys are coming and with the weather traversing various parts of the country to get here, trailering makes the riding once out here all that more enjoyable. Not beat up and tired from just showing up lol. The California boys, you and Greg are quite the warriors.
                The ride over is most of the fun and adventure. Bouncing along the super slab In a cage I can do anytime.

Gotta make plans to ride up North again sometime too. Had a great time seeing old friends (and girlfriends).
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, maybe wanna pack a Camelback and fill it with 20w50 to feed old Okie... Get an spare oil fill cap, drill a custom hole in it, feed the line from the Camelback right into the crank case. Like a Scottoiler for your engine. It would be called a Gregoiler. Note: it has to be a custom hole, otherwise the mod is considered as redneck and not true engineering.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hello all,I had a bit of trouble getting on the new site,I had to change my screen name ,I am looking forward to seeing you guys again this year,even though I live really close to the rally site I will be trailering my bikes up to the site, so no need to to turn anyones bike into a grocery scow" lol....Besides it's always nice to bring a spare machine in case anyones bike breaks down.Anyone going through Denver on the way is more than welcome to stop by my house and hang out or rest up on their way, In the mean time stay safe and healthy, Happy new year and I'll see you next summer ..

Comment

Good to see you here Joe and good talking to you the other night. Always great to have your support for the rally and have you at the Rally.

Let's see if the mods can help you out there with your screen name.

Mods are you listening? . Please send him a PM and let him know that you can change his name to rdmcguy.

Thx!

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Greg, maybe wanna pack a Camelback and fill it with 20w50 to feed old Okie... Get an spare oil fill cap, drill a custom hole in it, feed the line from the Camelback right into the crank case. Like a Scottoiler for your engine. It would be called a Gregoiler. Note: it has to be a custom hole, otherwise the mod is considered as redneck and not true engineering.
                        It actually only used 3 quarts both ways. Started him up in the garage a couple days ago after sitting 2 or 3 months. Had to leave the doors open for like an hour to clear out the smoke. I was afraid the neighbors would call the FD.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hope to see some newer guys and guys I have seen on here for years but not met yet give the rally a look this summer! A handful of guys have made their Super 8 reservations, so don’t be bashful.

Greg, I figure Tulsa to Westcliffe for the rally last summer was about 640 miles each way. Add 600 miles for three days riding at the rally. That’s a quart of oil about every 700 miles. A 100 oz Cameback would have covered that with 4 oz to spare using the new Gregoiler (or is upon further review, “Okieoiler”).

Kremmling is gonna run you about 790 miles each way plus rally rides so be sure to squeeze an extra few ounces into the Okieoiler before ya’ head out.

Truth be told, when I changed the oil this fall on the ZRX, it had 5,345 miles on the oil for the riding season and it was down about 1/3 of a quart, or about the equivalent oil volume cc of one XS1100 piston. I am running M1 10w40 4T synthetic, so not surprised to use a little bit with the high ambient temps this past summer especially at the rally and running it pretty hard last spring and early summer refining the jetting with the ZZR1200 carbs I’ve adapted to it.

Looking forward to riding with you again Greg!

Last edited by Bonz; 01-02-2021, 09:34 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hopefully the xs will be ready by then,lol. Im new here and would love to meet you guys who have helped me so much on this rebuild. Tommorow she gets new clutch plates, then carb issues on number 3 , and she'll be ready to roll, again. 1980 xs 1100 special. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201214_223742.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	862568

Comment

Mtsteve, you and Greg (BA80) have some Montana stomping grounds in common it looks like. Good work on the bike!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X