2012 Cali Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still thinking about a September Rally

In spite of my recent calamity, or maybe because of it, Ray and I are still willing to host a Central Coast Rally. Motel prices drop to "off season" prices after Labor Day and there is a KOA within spitting distance of the Pacific Ocean. We propose a map guided ride through the Santa Cruz Mountains to a very bike friendly hamburger joint known as "Alice's Restaurant" situated on a cross roads of "Skyline Drive" and a twisty road leading down hill to Palo Alto. All of their burgers are named after different bikes, and it is a very popular destination for riders from all over the San Francisco Bay area. On any Sunday one can view and shmoose with the owners of very interesting bikes.
    I can put up a couple of riders in my humble pad. If you are interested please respond and lets see if we can get something going!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

rally

Hi Ed,,,hope the Phoenix will rise again. For me, with a one day trip to your area and one day back,,,,,about the only time I can make it is during Thanksgiving week or Christmas week. I would think the San DIego crew is in the same boat, its tough to get there and have any time to enjoy it without a holiday weekend and a couple of travel days. SO, hope you can get a rally going. If we can get Scott's back, Garth fixed up and back on the road, there will be at least a couple of more riders going if the dates work out. Thanks to Ray for helping you out. See ya, Mike in Sun Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

i'm up for it, santa cruz & monteray. never really rode that area.just pick a date,i'll be there.i ve been on a few camp outs. newcastle off the 80.that was a hot weekend, 108f. went on some nice roads,and swiming in the lake to cool down,stumpy meadows was the place.
        also went to lake isabella,then camped on top of the mountain, ponderosa,real nice camp ground. and good food just up the road.
        alright lads, take it easy. roo
        1978e. special forks.she's a frankinstien.a bit of this a bit of that.its a monster

Comment

I could do a one-nighter, Fri evening through Sat. I have driven by Alice's and done a lot of camping down the road at Loma Mar. Excellent bike roads, twisty up and down through the redwoods. Tell me, Ed, I have been told that the best weather in that area is in the fall. What say you?
          "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Maybe move date up to Thanks Giving?

"So, time to plan a rally up your way,,,hopefully over thanksgiving or xmas break so us Southern boys can make it up.............time to ride,,,,Mike in Sun Diego " quote soccer4m

Actually, Thanksgiving might not be a bad idea. I should have a running bike by then, and the weather here is "iffy" but frequently very nice about then: cool, but never cold, (relative to , say North Dakota,) and often dry. The weatherman is pretty accurate on the 7 day forecast around here, so it should be possible to get a pretty accurate "go or no" when we get down to the wire.
            DiverRay and I are VERY familiar with the back roads in this area and can promise you a very enjoyable ride.
            I would be happy to put up a couple of riders here, in my pad, and the motels and campgrounds are on off season rates. Talk amongst yourselves, and get back to me.
            Special Ed

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

I am considering, but we are closing on a piece of land this Friday and SWMBO has weekends planned out until the snow flies here in Colorado. A trip to sunny California may be just the ticket...

Land is at an elevation of about 9,300 feet, snow comes earlier up there.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

Land is at an elevation of about 9,300 feet, snow comes earlier up there.
                Does the snow ever leave? You probably have glaciers in the shady areas. What the H. E. double hockey sticks are you going to do with land that high?
                "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                  Does the snow ever leave? You probably have glaciers in the shady areas. What the H. E. double hockey sticks are you going to do with land that high?
                  Longer ridin' season for the sled........if he can take the blizzards, snowdrifts and high winds that come up through South Park.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid
                    Motoman knows. I have a Yamaha snowmobile (snow machine to some) that I run in the off-season. Its a 2001 Mountain Max 700 tripple. Older, but one of Yamaha's best 2-stroke sleds.

Besides, I like it up there. Great views of South Park, which is an actual place in Colorado. Aspen trees are turning color right now. Lots of trails in the area for riding my Grizzly 550 ATV. Gives me a place to get out of town on hot summer weekends.

If you want to take a look as some photos visit my blog page at:
                    http://www.appleattic.net/blog

I have a link at the top of the page to my Galleries page which includes photos from past XS Rallies and a collection of XS 11 Owners.

Included on the Galleries page are a couple collections from California rallies. The page has the events listed by year. I'll be adding a "land" gallery shortly.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                      "So, time to plan a rally up your way,,,hopefully over thanksgiving or xmas break so us Southern boys can make it up.............time to ride,,,,Mike in Sun Diego " quote soccer4m

Actually, Thanksgiving might not be a bad idea.
                      Are you talking about Thanksgiving Day, or Thanksgiving-ish, meaning sometime in the usual 4 day weekend?

Comment

I'd like to join this party. I can head up the day after Thanksgiving, Friday morning, get into the S.F area between 6- 8PM. Then find you locals Friday nite or Saturday morning, Follow you all around Sat/ Sun, then head back south Monday morning. Could stay longer if motivated.

Any riders from SD/ LA or anywhere along the route are welcome to join me.

scoot

Comment

[QUOTE=scoot;Any riders from SD/ LA or anywhere along the route are welcome to join me.

scoot[/QUOTE]

South Dakota/Louisiana??? Kinda indirect route, aint it?

Comment

Thanks for all the interest guys

I think we need to postpone our meet until Spring. I'm still working on the "new" old skoot. It had been sitting "non-op" for 8 years, so it has a lot of deferred maintenance issues. Anyway, gotta run. More on this later.
                            Special Ed

Comment

Well, I want to go on some kind of ride, so I will go on a rally of one if need be! I've been wanting to do some riding and camping in Yosemite, just throw on a pup tent, sleeping bag, mini-stove, some vittles, camera, and off I go. I just need to finish my bag rack and go before it gets real cold.

Comment

Planning on spending Nov. 9 ,10 and possibly 11 in either Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, or a combo of two. Possibly get my son-in-law and another XSive friend of mine to come. Could also go to Bodie, Ca., the country's largest ghost town. Anyone welcome to tag along.

Comment

Working...
                                X