Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suwannee River Rally 2020 & Florida Ride

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suwannee River Rally 2020 & Florida Ride

    Its not too early to begin doing some 2020 Florida Rally & Ride Planning

    We can name the 2020 event: the Suwannee River Rally


    For all the obvious reasons we usually avoid Valentine's Day, Daytona Bike Week & Easter Week.

    This year (March 2020) the "Daytona Experience" really fouls up Travel and Reservations from Wed March 11 to Wed March 18. That covers the worst of it. So we will avoid those dates.

    April is bad for me (as in not available) but if somebody wants to put together an April Rally that would be perfectly fine with me. What seems to work well is to have a Rally followed by a Florida Ride for those that might have the extra time and inclination to do some additional riding in Florida (as in head to Punta Gorda, Naples or Florida City or Key West and the Everglades.

    Looking back over the last 13 years we have sure done a lot of winter riding in sunny Florida. What seems to work out well is to pick a Rally location where both the South Florida riders and the North Georgia & Auburn / Opelika AL area riders can meet within a fairly easy days ride for everyone. After all it is winter Beyond that most everybody else that usually attends Trailers their bikes in.

    Last year 2019 was the "Florida-Georgia Line" in Kingsland GA. 2018 was "Ride Florida Rally" in Lake City followed by group ride to Naples and back to Clermont. 2017 was "the Panhandle" rally in Tallahassee. 2016 we met up for Rally in Silver Springs then had group ride to Punta Gorda and a couple nights in Florida City. 2015 was Key West at Spanish Gardens. 2014 was Key West staying at Looe Dive Shop on Ramrod Key or maybe that was in 2012? 2013 was Gulf Coast run from Tallahassee to Galveston Texas. 2007 to 2012 was combinations of Florida City, Everglades National Park with stop at the Annual Seafood Festival held in Everglade City. We've covered a lot AND done a lot of riding on some really obscure Florida backroads less traveled. Even 11 miles on sand of Berman Rd, sorry about that.

    As for Suwannee River Rally 2020, lets see how March 19-23 might work out. That would be Option #1 Mar 19-23
    Option #2 might be March 5-9
    Option #3 might be Feb 27 to Mar 2

    Depending on what floats your boat we could meet Rally and Ride at Live Oak, go back to Lake City, do a re-do at Kingsland GA and go to Saint Simons Inland since we did Jekyll Island
    A weekend Rally held at any of these locations would help with Atlanta area and Auburn / Opelika AL area riders attend.

    The Rally dates where we can get the most people WINS.

    Something to ponder

    Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

    '73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

  • #2
    I'm up to riding around.
    80 G

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Jeff sounds like a grand plan. Not likely to make this year either but will be following along just in case. 6" of snow on the ground and not even 1/2 way through November .

      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Hi Jeff sounds like a grand plan. Not likely to make this year either but will be following along just in case. 6" of snow on the ground and not even 1/2 way through November .

        Phil
        Don't give up hope yet Phil...March is a long ways away
        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
          Don't give up hope yet Phil...March is a long ways away
          Hi Brian,
          March will be here soon enough. I live on hope or is that in hope ?
          Phil
          Last edited by MaximPhil; 11-13-2019, 08:45 PM.
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

          Comment


          • #6
            Florida in Spring

            I believe that I can be there. Sounds good. Need to have the usual suspects and more.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

            Mike

            Comment


            • #7
              Suwannee River Rally 2020 & Florida Ride

              I hope to be able to make at least the Saturday and Sunday ride. Here’s to hoping! Let’s see how the schedule shakes out.

              Ernie
              1979 XS110F, Stock
              1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
              2000 YZ 250, Sold
              2002 YZ125, Sold
              2009 Royal Star Venture
              '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

              Ernie

              Comment


              • #8
                Date & Location

                Suwannee River Rides & Rally
                Date: March 6th, 7th, 8th
                Motel: Days Inn - Lake City, Florida


                Days Inn by Wyndham Lake City I-75 @ exit 427
                3144 West US Highway 90 Lake City, Florida 32055
                +1-386-269-6074
                Fri, 03/06/20 - Mon, 03/09/20

                https://www.wyndhamhotels.com
                then type Lake City, FLA then whatever Dates you want

                Lake City Florida works well as an fairly easy day ride meet point for everyone riding in. Good spot for the northerly trailering in riders too.

                Restaurants in walking distance. Will plan to do some riding along the Suwannee River from Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia out to the Gulf of Mexico. Or for the Saturday ride maybe to St. Augustine on the Atlantic side. It is always nice to have many ride choices.

                So that's the plan. You can book at Days Inn now and if your plans change can easily cancel before 4pm day of arrival. Rate is $90 for Fri & Sat and $70 for Sun night. $280 should cover the 3 nights so if splitting $140 each including tax. If interested, a fancier new Holiday Inn & Suites is next door but that will set you back $490. There is also a Rodeway Inn and a Quality Inn nearby on SW Commerce and within walking distance of Days Inn and Restaurants too.

                I guess that's it for now.

                Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

                '73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  Suwannee River Rides & Rally
                  Date: March 6th, 7th, 8th
                  Motel: Days Inn - Lake City, Florida


                  Days Inn by Wyndham Lake City I-75 @ exit 427
                  3144 West US Highway 90 Lake City, Florida 32055
                  +1-386-269-6074
                  Fri, 03/06/20 - Mon, 03/09/20

                  https://www.wyndhamhotels.com
                  then type Lake City, FLA then whatever Dates you want

                  Lake City Florida works well as an fairly easy day ride meet point for everyone riding in. Good spot for the northerly trailering in riders too.

                  Restaurants in walking distance. Will plan to do some riding along the Suwannee River from Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia out to the Gulf of Mexico. Or for the Saturday ride maybe to St. Augustine on the Atlantic side. It is always nice to have many ride choices.

                  So that's the plan. You can book at Days Inn now and if your plans change can easily cancel before 4pm day of arrival. Rate is $90 for Fri & Sat and $70 for Sun night. $280 should cover the 3 nights so if splitting $140 each including tax. If interested, a fancier new Holiday Inn & Suites is next door but that will set you back $490. There is also a Rodeway Inn and a Quality Inn nearby on SW Commerce and within walking distance of Days Inn and Restaurants too.

                  I guess that's it for now.

                  Jeff



                  BTW, Don has once again graciously offered Parking in Tallahassee for those trucking or trailering to the Rally.

                  Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

                  '73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That looks like a good ride and rally, Jeff, and I can go with the bear but where in blazes did you find an otter in Atlanta?
                    -- Scott
                    _____

                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                      That looks like a good ride and rally, Jeff, and I can go with the bear but where in blazes did you find an otter in Atlanta?
                      Lots of rivers so otters are around too. Decided to test the don't run from a bear theory and the otter popped up to see what the heck was going on

                      Seems you had a year of smoke events around you from all those various fires. cough, cough, wheeze. Glad those are out. Now rain. Snow, Grapevine closed.
                      Hope you hadn't decided on a short run up i5 to Buttonwillow and gotten stuck in the mess.


                      btw: from your BA80 ride report post I hope you had success with iterations to fix the recursion problem.
                      Sounds like a gremlin popped back into the equation. Hope all resolved.


                      Jeff

                      For those that are thinking about a ride:
                      March 6-7-8 Days Inn Lake City on US90
                      https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-inn
                      Last edited by JeffH; 12-02-2019, 08:30 AM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

                      '73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I guess with rivers there otter be a few of them but whatever's in the water that made them bear signs needs watching....
                        -- Scott
                        _____

                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sudanese River Rally

                          Scott and I are in. Made reservations. Ready to ride. Let's go.
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

                          Mike

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Rally

                            Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                            Scott and I are in. Made reservations. Ready to ride. Let's go.
                            Sorry about the wrong title to last post. Computer decided to mis-pronounce Suwanee???
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

                            Mike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So to night I find myself at the Days Inn in Lake City Florida.
                              Looks like a good place to have a rally base
                              I'm in a car and only saw 3 motorcycles to day 2 Harleys and 1 sport bike being ridden like moron by an idiot or was it the other way round. I doubt he will make his 21st birthday let alone old age.

                              Phil (in Sunny Florida to day.)
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X