No announcement yet.

Home safe and sound thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys from out west may have favorable weather for their ride today.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Just rolled into home. It was a great day for traveling today. It was still wet this morning in Wildersville,Tn when we left the motel but after about 100 miles the skies turned blue and the sun came out.

JW split off at Little Rock and headed to Texas, Bigfoot split off at I540 north and headed to Missouri, and trbig and I waved good by when I turned onto Oklahoma 51 and headed to Tulsa.

Harry should be home around 9 and Tod around 7:15.

We had a great time and it was really good to see some old friends and to put faces to names and make some new ones. We were talking about preparing to make the trip again next year on the way home. Maybe we'll drag some more people along with us.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        We had a great time and it was really good to see some old friends and to put faces to names and make some new ones. We were talking about preparing to make the trip again next year on the way home. Maybe we'll drag some more people along with us.
        I'm glad you made it home and what you're sayin' feels pretty good.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Pulled in just a few minutes ago. Today had a couple minor incidents, but like was said, make it a bit more memorable. We stopped a ways down the road and I decided to check my middle drive fluid. I borrowed Harry's allen wrenches, took off the filler cap, then used the allen wrench for a dipstick.. the oil was fine... so I looked around for something to wipe off the oil off Harry's allen wrench, finally found something, wiped it clean and handed them back to him. Then we went inside to eat. About 50 miles down the road, I had a hell of a mess since I forgot to put the frikkin plug back in. Had a spare and John had some oil, so all was good. Oh.. and @ 50 miles after we left out this morning, it dawned on me that I had only finger tightened the 4 bolts holding on my u-joit, so we had to pull over while I did that.

Then on the way home a bit ago, my face shield was up and I lefted my chin bar (Modular helmet) to spit out my old gum and the face shield ripped away to some unknown region. Oh well.. got a spare one here at the house.

Bike pulled into the drive purring along like it wanted more.. my butt thinks otherwise. Thanks for the great rally you guys. I'll post a report with pics and videos as soon as I get a chance.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Home safe and sound

Got home this evening about 5:30. Rained about the whole way. Bruce Heckert and I stopped at Sierra Electronics on the way home. Had a great time and appreciate all the work you guys put into this to make it happen!
            See you all next year!
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              About 50 miles down the road, I had a hell of a mess since I forgot to put the frikkin plug back in. Had a spare and John had some oil, so all was good. Oh.. and @ 50 miles after we left out this morning, it dawned on me that I had only finger tightened the 4 bolts holding on my u-joit, so we had to pull over while I did that.
              It's a good thing you weren't working on an airplane!

I'm glad you're home.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Wow!

Hey guys, I feel for all of you that had troubles on the way home. And commend you for making such a long journey to and from North Carolina. Sounds like it was worth the trip.

For the ones having an issue with cylinders not firing in the rain, you may try this (picture) with your plug wires. Don't have any proof yet, but think it would make water less of an issue.

MP

1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure but I think the problem I was having was a crack in the insulator on #4 plug. It was still misfiring when I started it this morning and I figured out it was that cylinder. I changed out the plug with an extra Tod had and the problem went away.

I believe that when it started raining that the water on the hot insulator cooling it too quickly caused a hairline crack. The bike actually ran OK as long as I didn't get into the throttle. (Like climbing hills or taking off from stops, that sucked)

As long as I was just cruising it was fine, it was just when the ignition demanded a hotter spark is when the problem showed up.

The water proofing is a great idea and I WILL be doing that but also I will be looking for a way to protect the exposed part of the plug insulator.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Made it to my Brother in laws place in Lufkin...not going to San Antonio till tomorrow so I'm calling it safe and sound.

No real major problems not already outlined above. Glad we stayed dry today.

Glad I met everybody and look forward to the next rally.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Made it home at 9. 706 miles today. 2802 miles for the complete trip. Bike ran great all day today. It was great meeting you all. Thanks for your hospitality and showing us a great time. Looking forward to next year.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Just rolled into home. It was a great day for traveling today. It was still wet this morning in Wildersville,Tn when we left the motel but after about 100 miles the skies turned blue and the sun came out.

JW split off at Little Rock and headed to Texas, Bigfoot split off at I540 north and headed to Missouri, and trbig and I waved good by when I turned onto Oklahoma 51 and headed to Tulsa.

Harry should be home around 9 and Tod around 7:15.

Good to hear y'all made it back relatively without incident...nothing like a LD ride to shakedown the issues with one's bike(s). It wa sgraet to meet you all too...hope y'all come back next year.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Made it home today at 5 PM, bike ran great the entire trip. Thanks to all who put together the rally, it was a good one this year. Great to see some old friends and meet some new ones as well.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                            Hey guys, I feel for all of you that had troubles on the way home. And commend you for making such a long journey to and from North Carolina. Sounds like it was worth the trip.

For the ones having an issue with cylinders not firing in the rain, you may try this (picture) with your plug wires. Don't have any proof yet, but think it would make water less of an issue.

MP

Where do you get that stuff Mike?
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              Made it home today at 5 PM, bike ran great the entire trip. Thanks to all who put together the rally, it was a good one this year. Great to see some old friends and meet some new ones as well.
                              oh just seeing this now...glad you're home safe and it was a real pleasure to ride with you again...cant wait to do it again Phil...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                                oh just seeing this now...glad you're home safe and it was a real pleasure to ride with you again...cant wait to do it again Phil...
                                Yep, same here Ben, good to see you again buddy.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                                X