Home safe and sound thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home safe and sound thread

I figure seeing as how I am almost the first one home I thought I would post up. Left at about 7:20am and arrived home at about 9ish pm
    1300 kms home ..... total for this time away 7,000kms
    time for another oil change!
    Tom
    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Made it in at 10;30 pm...left Tellico Plains with BikerPhil @ 3pm...great riding and great friends...glad to meet the midwestern boys...I hope you all enjoyed the roads in the SE USA...Thanks to Jeff and Marty,,,my hats' off to youse guys. Total mileage for 3 days came to 1200 miles . Cant wait til next year...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Nice to meet you too Ben. Catch you next time....................if you don't change your mind again that is.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Nice to meet you too Ben. Catch you next time....................if you don't change your mind again that is.
        nah next time I'll just go my own effin way... I am long overdue to travel back to the southwest so if I plan it right I will try to get out there in mid June...you can bet I'll be giving youse guys a heads up as I travel thru OK and TX...it is time i headed your way...look out heh heh heh...cough...cough..
        Oh and Tod I want to see that video of the Dragon run...I need to know what I was doing wrong when I got a little hot in some of those left handers...
        Last edited by madmax-im; 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I missed saying in my first post. I would like to thank Marty, Jeff, Brent for putting this on and their SO for putting up with them during the planning.
          Yes, even though I didn't go for a ride with you guys I love the park lot talk.

I can't forget to thank Brent for his talk. Sometimes we forget the basic things when out riding. What if's

I also like Ironhorse. It has almost everything for you. Cabins, tents or RV's. If I was a voting kind of guy I would vote for it again.
          Tom
          2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
          gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Well, I rolled into home about 3:30 PM today, rained the whole trip. Thankfully I'm trailering! I feel for the OK guys that have to tough it out back west, as well as the other folks that RODE their bikes to the rally. I hope everyone makes it back home safely and without incident.

I, too, wish to thank Marty, JeffH, Brent for hosting this event, and for Gary and Bruce for "herding the cats" around the twisties! I hope to be able to stay a bit longer next time to get to run with you on more fun roads!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

considering today's weather I'm glad I rode back yesterday...it was clear and dry...although it did look like we were gonna get wet on the Cherohala,but the rain never materialized...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I got home a couple hours ago. It was only about 100 miles for me, but it rained all the way. My rain gear and motorcycle worked great. I think Jeff and I were the last to leave, other than Gary and Bruce who will continue on for a few days.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I'm back in Atlanta, just in time for Tornado Warnings.

As Marty posted, we had a soggy ride home over the mountain but I expect most everybody got wet at some point today on their return ride.

(I also found a new thing to fix. 11E motor ran AOK in the rain -but- when riding 65+mph on GA400 in moderate rain seems the heavy road spray got up into the coil/plug wire area and started to cause some mis-firing. I took two 30 minute delays then rode the rest of the way home on the Interstate at 45mph). Going slower would have saved me an hour because until increasing the speed the rain water was not an issue.

So Rally helped diagnose Steer Head Bearing clean / grease and this electrical issue that I need to chase down and fix.

Great Ride! I sure had FUN

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

home, left this morning with maxim phil at 7:15 am. got home around 7:30 pm.
                    rain off and on most of the ride back. bike rode great in the rain, so did phil's.

thanks to all that made this rally a great one.

time to buy a new tire
                    80 xs1100G

Comment

I made it home around 2. Posted in the other section though.
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

Earl you realize we joined the same month/year?
                        Also it was good riding with all yall again!
                        Glad everyone is safely home so far.
                        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

home again

Made it home around 3pm. Rode back with Chris Yamahansolo as far as Gainesville. Great Rally. Really good to see every one; thanks for coming.

XS11 did well, even in rain.
                          It is a great big beautiful world out there
                          Brent in GA
                          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Oh the joys of motorcycle riding

Started off late this morning as John needed a rear tire and the place didn't open till 10 am. Greg, John, and i were at Wheeler's bike shop on 129 with the rear wheel off and waiting at 10. He got right to it as the rain started to fall. Didn't take too long and he didn't rape John too bad on the price.

Headed south on 129 eventually to take us 64 west to Chattanooga with light to heavy rain. Found out in a hurry that neither Greg's or my bike like being wet. Not bad when the rpm's are up but was a little bit of a challenge keeping them fired at lights and such. Had the joy of running on two cylinders occasionally as well. Got onto I24 to see signs that all lanes were closed due to an accident. Managed to bail off of it and work our way past it on city streets. Only cost us an hour or so there.

Got a break in the weather and made good time for about most of a tank until just south of Nashville when it really opened up on us. Visibility was almost zero with heavy traffic. Oddly enough, i think i had the easiest time with it since i have that small windshield and can see over it without having to stand up.

Got a call from Tod about that time seeing where we were and what time we might make it to where he was tearing apart and rebuilding his bike in a parking lot. Told him we were only a couple hours away, guess that was wishful thinking. Rain continued to fall but we were making good time and were only about 40 miles from where Tod was when I40 once again became a parking lot. We idled along for over an hour and made it about 5 miles. Bailed off the highway and were told that the jam would continue or another 8 or 9 miles. The only way around was about a 50 mile detour. By this time it was dark, wet, and cold on somewhat curvy, dark back roads. Not the best time I have had on a bike.

Finally found Tod just as he had completed getting his bike back together. Greg announced that he was done for the night, period. lol. We didn't give him too much crap as John an i were tired, wet, and cold as well.

The adventure continues tomorrow.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Thanks Earl for your company in the dark dawn hours. Earl already said we left at 7:15 Breakfast at 9:30 and a Coffee at around noon in Wytheville where I took I77 North. 1:00 into WV some heavy rain and we escaped WV at 5:00 having run on 2 or more cylinders
                              Found dry road for the first time in PA but that did not last as it rained again off and on all the way to the state line. Dinner in Washington PA.
                              NY was dry and colder. Crossed into Canada at 10:30 and home by midnight.
                              Header nut let go again so the last 10 miles were noisy.

Thanks to Jeff Marty & Brent for a great rally.

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X