Western Va (Blue Ridge Parkway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Phil, that's a haul!
    I really don't know what my personal range would be I've never ridden for more than an hour at a shot.
    My other 'setback' is my wife isn't too comfortable riding with me and she doesn't ride by herself even if I could get my SG up and running.
    So, if I did goto iron horse, it would probably be by myself.

Now, something local here in VA, I can minimize my time away from home.
    don't misunderstand, I don't have a short leash or any thing like that, it just I don't want to take off too much time from work or spend a lot traveling to the site of the ride.

I am tempted and thinking of possibilities for Sept.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

I certainly understand finances can be tight for every one these days. I would think you could get a Curt hitch online for the Liberty for about $100 or so online. I have bought and installed a couple of them, one on an F150 and one on a Honda Oddysee. Both went on perfect, bolt up, no welding and you can buy the wiring kit that lets you just snap in a connector and your wired.

Then you can spend the $20 on the U-haul trailer is needed. Since SWMBO will not even get on a motorcycle (we tried it once about 20 years ago, and we both agreed it would never happen again), I understand the time away from family part also.

Best thing to do if you want to start a local "Rally", just plan a nice ride with some decent twisties and some nice smooth sweepers mixed in, post the route and a date and see who else wants to go with you. Worst case scenario you have a nice ride for the day, chances are good you will get a few to come along.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Best thing to do if you want to start a local "Rally", just plan a nice ride with some decent twisties and some nice smooth sweepers mixed in, post the route and a date and see who else wants to go with you. Worst case scenario you have a nice ride for the day, chances are good you will get a few to come along.
        That sounds like the best idea. Maybe if I plan it far enough in advance, a few here might be able to join up. I'm hoping I can get TC to join me and Maybe Keithh (if he can figure out his electrical issues) and Nightengale once his project is done.
        Who knows, maybe a few XSives up in the northern part of the state like ViperRon or DPotter58 or even some guys over in WV (like jjZ28) may show.
        I just don't know if I'd want to ride it alone.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

I just don't know if I'd want to ride it alone.
          All I can answer to that is that my worst day riding was alot better than my best day wokring!! (ok, with one possible exception )
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I would ride mine ,rather than trailer.but.wife is coming along,so hahahhahahahaha.not gonna happen
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Hi George,
              He who travels alone travels fastest. Having said that it is nice to have company for a shared adventure. I have ridden the parkway,with Brent,
              from South to North which made the last bit DOWN hill for me Obviously going the other way is uphill climbing to 6000 ft if I recall correctly.
              There are NO Gas stations on the parkway itself. You have to go into one of the towns, only some of which are close to the parkway.
              The idea to just pick your day and see who wants to join in is a good one.
              I would also suggest you take some longer day rides from home to get used to more time in the saddle. Better to stop too often than push until you are overtired and could make a mistake or misjudge a situation/react too slow in an emergency.
              Wish I was closer I would like to go on the parkway again.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Caution on the BRP

Best ye adhere to the speed limits as violations are a federal offense due to the prkwy being on federal land and such...so fines are quite punitive if yur caught.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I was told by the federal officer that stopped me that I could have 55 mph and no more. I was very happy to listen to his lecture!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    I was told by the federal officer that stopped me that I could have 55 mph and no more. I was very happy to listen to his lecture!
                    Nonetheless fines are severe if they decide to ticket ya...rumors about confiscating your bike as well but unconfirmed. I think 55 is just right for the BRP but weekdays off holidays are best trafficwise.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

just read this

i am ready for a ride just let me know, i now have almost three thousand miles on the bike since i finished it. lets see about a date and where to ride and make a day of it.
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                        i am ready for a ride just let me know, i now have almost three thousand miles on the bike since i finished it. lets see about a date and where to ride and make a day of it.
                        Sept 28-30. XS Southeast. It's in the rallies section.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Working...
                        X