Key West FL 2/5/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key West FL 2/5/2011

Making plans tgo go to Key West again this year.
    Earl from Allentown, Pa wants to ride his XS on his Birthday in February and wants warm weather. You are invited to ride along and help Earl celebrate his Birthday. (Yes, you too BNE. Call me, Brent Hoovestol - Home phone
    (770)982-4715)

Tentative Itinerary;
    2/2/11 - Earl hauls his bike out of the frozen wasteland of the Great White North, crossing the Mason/Dixon line, ariving at Don Hather's house in Havanna, FL (about 20 miles north of Tallahassee.) Ample parking is available for many snow plows,trailers, etc.

2/3/11 - Ride south along Gulf coast arriving in Bradenton, Sarasota area. We have stayed at motel 6 exit 220 in Bradenton in years past; decent room @ good price, However, recent reviews are mixed. " very nice folks... let me and my dog in from the storm, welcome pets policy..." or "Very Bad, bedding smelled like wet dog, Rude... I left...no refund." This is a good mid point with Cracker Barrel, several other motels and Harley parts.

2/4/11 - Ride to Everglades City, FL arriving Lunch time for Seafood festival.
    _ See Gators from elevated deck at NP
    - Arrive at 47 Shoreland Dr Key Largo , FL check in; Lodging @ KeyLargoHouseboat.com 305 766-0871
    or next to it, theFloatingInn.com 305 879-0561
    Hide Out Resturaunt is there too.

2/5/11 - Ride to Key West, see Sunset at mallory pier, return to Key Largo,
    or stay in Key West.

2/6/11 - Ride to tourist site Coral Castle (between FL city & Miami)
    continue north along Lake Okachobi on to Leesburg, FL Microtel. This was a nice spacious room, (and the best value)
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

thanks brent for posting the key west ride. my vacation is approved, so let it snow in feb.
    80 xs1100G

Comment

Hi Brent & Earl,
      Some thing to aim for. Too soon to tell if i can make it .
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'd like to join you guys in Florida City for the trip down to the Keys. Maybe I can get a couple local XSers to join in.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Bucket list

This is definitely a ride that goes on my "bucket list"!! Sounds like an incredible break form the frigid weather round here.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Planning on being there

Comment

Ride Key Largo to Key west.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              I'd like to join you guys in Florida City for the trip down to the Keys. Maybe I can get a couple local XSers to join in.
              Biker Phil,
              You are most welcome to do a day ride if not more with us. We will most likely meet for breakfast at the Hideout Restaurant in Key Largo at Shoreland & Transylvania ave. (just across the parking lot from where wee will be staying.) I am not sure if Jonathan will go again this year. He is local, near Miami. I have not heard much from him him since he covered his face with his hands shouting ooh, my EYES, my EYES, on the ultra clean & pink east end of Duvall st. Earl tried to warn him... Perhaps more local XSives will attend. Other make bikes will also be riding along.

Hope to see you there
              Brent in GA
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hey Earl

How do you get your bike down there? Trailer?
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

contact info

Some contact info for me

name Brent Hoovestol
                  phone is listed in Atlanta area book
                  (770) 982-4715 This is main numnber, I answer when I can, check messages often, and return calls.
                  address 2784 Nathan Ct. Lilburn, GA
                  email firehoove@yahoo.com
                  Cell phone 770 363-9036 (I seldom answer it, but I will check messages several times in the spring and several times in the fall. I will call you back. If you can wait that long, use cell number. I do sometimes carry cellphone on road trips, but smoke signals are my preferred method of remote communication then.

Happy motoring,
                  Brent in ga
                  Brent in GA

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                    How do you get your bike down there? Trailer?
                    yes on a trailer. i use a friends trailer, he tows his quad, my bike just fits. like to ride down, but coming back that is a chance. last feb. with all the snow the highway was closed at pa. w va. border.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    80 xs1100G

Comment

Brent, glad to see you are still up to doing this. I would like to make it myself this year. I haven't rode my bike for a little while since it needs some work done. I hope to get it done in December so I can still enjoy some warm weather riding. I am in South Florida as you know.

Anyway, I see you already hooked up with the Boatel people in Key Largo. It would be a nice change to stay there. I would probably want to stay overnight in Key West like last years trip.

Looking forward to seeing you, Earl and the rest of the bunch in February.

-Jonathan
                      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Hi Brent,
                        I'd like to join you guys at Everglades City for the Seafood Fest, and continue on down to the keys and back. I'll probably separate from the group when we reach Palm Beach Co. Hopefully you plan on riding up the east coast of the lake.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Pahokee

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                          Hi Brent,
                          I'd like to join you guys at Everglades City for the Seafood Fest, and continue on down to the keys and back. I'll probably separate from the group when we reach Palm Beach Co. Hopefully you plan on riding up the east coast of the lake.
                          East side of Okachobee is prettier to me. I preferr that route, through Phokee. Sebring on the west is bigger and more congested than the map shows.

I am fielding some more suggestions for lodging in the keys. Key West? Islamorada? any recomendations?

Freezing here in GA now...Warm Sunny FL is calling.
                          Brent in GA

Comment

Just a little over 4 weeks to go.

Had the chance to ride for an hour on Dec 31st, temperature climbed to 42F.

Looking forward to sunny and warm Florida.

Comment

It's sweet down here now, mid 70's. Hope beginning of Feb. is as nice.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X