Talimena Rally anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talimena Rally anyone?

We are considering organizing a ride on the Talimena trail in the mountains of SE Oklahoma. This is very scenic twistie road. I goes from Talihina, Oklahoma to Mena, AR.

The first step of this process is to see how much interest there is.

This area is about 250 miles NE of the DFW metroplex so all you north Texas XSives may really be interested.

However ... if we do this... all you yahoos on the west Coast are welcome too! If you recall one half crazed Okie rode a big Maxim named Zilla to Reno a few months ago. Just FYI...that highway has lanes going both directions.

Here's some photos of Talimena:
    Talimena Drive

Just post here if you're interested and when you definitely could NOT go.

Thanks

Cody

OklaTeXSive

Actually this area is only 200 miles from North Dallas.

It's about 150 from OKC...200 from Tulsa....and about 350 from Witchita, Kansas.

If enough interest is expressed then I'll get to work trying to find places to stay and figure out the best dates.

If we actually put it together we'll likely call it OklaTeXSive!

Thanks

Cody
    Last edited by MAXIMAN; 02-16-2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Ya got my vote.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

GREAT! I've already talked to three other guys that'll ride.

BTW Daniel - ever ridden the Talimena Trail? I figure you have seeing as you've ridden half million miles.

Comment

Hmm-m-m only 1154.8 miles from Kane to Mena....

What time of year might this event occur?
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Not sure . First thing I'm trying to establish is how many are interested and when they might be able to come.

I would prefer spring or fall as opposed to summer. Summer in Oklahoma is NOT fun. SO that would place it before the end of June or after mid-September.

Comment

I drove this with my parents on a family trip (in a cager) The views along here can leave a person at a loss for words. Incredible is the only way to describe it, and thats an understatment.
              Bauer
              1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
              Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
              1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
              Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

What, you wouldn't consider my old hometown of Lubbock for a rally? "The Hub of the Plains," the home of the "Fighting Red Raider?" Home of Buddy Holly?
                I remember what a thrill it was to ride my Harley Sprint out to "Buffalo Springs Lake" where there was water and roads that had curves and went up and down!!!
                Don't think I can make it, but I really wish I could.
                Hope you got yer bike back in good shape. That was sure a bummer when you went down!
                E. Liberty
                Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

It's a pretty good haul, but I would definitely be interested. Seems like it would be the closest one to me.

If I had my druthers, I'd go for late summer. I know I'll be swamped with work at least until then. Be a good time to take off a week and cruise.
                  Yamaniac
                  '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                  '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                  '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                  '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                  '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

guess I should have read the thread first, MAXIMAN. Early fall would be perfect. I just mapped it. Only 370 miles from Spring Hill KS to Talihina, OK. I'm in for sure.
                    Yamaniac
                    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by E.Liberty
                      What, you wouldn't consider my old hometown of Lubbock for a rally? "The Hub of the Plains," the home of the "Fighting Red Raider?" Home of Buddy Holly?
                      E. Liberty
                      ED

You're joking - right? Ah I get it. You know I'm from that neck of the woods...eh er...neck of the dirts.

Oh yeah west Texas is a great place to ride....

if you're trying to break a Land Speed Record.

Comment

Maniac

Cool. Who knows we do two rides...a kinda of OklaTeXSive and OklaTex Lite maybe.

I will say this, the Talimena is the best in fall when the leaves are turning.

Comment

Any chance of having a ride in the Ardmore/Davis/Arbuckle Mnts area? Given my situation, three young kids, and having Fri-Sat as days off, SWMBO and I would only have one day to ride, if we can find someone to watch the kids for the entire day. We usually make a couple of camping trips each summer to Turner Falls, in Davis, and that is only 120 miles from us. We love that area, but it is becoming a trash dump because of the influx of 'non English speaking persons'. There are beer/soda cans in the water, and I have even seen soiled diapers floating down stream. I can't for the life of me understand how some people can be such friggin' slobs as to leave their trash laying around when there are ample number of trash cans in the area.

Comment

Well we haven't really considered it. I guess it's possibe

John do you know where Talimena is?

It's only 100 miles farther.

My map software shows Ardmore about 100 miles form Dallas and Talihina, OK about 200. And if you know OK very well the Kiamichi Mnts. are a far better ride than the Arbuckles.

However we'll keep it in mind.

Hey how's your back doing?

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
                              BTW Daniel - ever ridden the Talimena Trail? I figure you have seeing as you've ridden half million miles.
                              Yep. Some great riding up there. Had some REALLY good Mexican food in some itty bitty town there too. Surprised me!
                              CUAgain,
                              Daniel Meyer
                              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X