HANDLE BAR VIBRATION, tingle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HANDLE BAR VIBRATION, tingle

I have an XJ1100J Maxim and have done the following to the bike to lessen the vibration in the handle bars:
    1. Rotated the motor mounts 180 Degrees in the front.
    2. Filled the handle bar extensions with bird shot, no help, removed.
    3. Replaced the upper motor mount bolt with a tempered one to take the 40 ft lb torque, PO had a mild steel all thread (3/8-NF)that stripped out.

When I get the bike running again will take to my shop and investigate using a Spectrum Analyzer to find predominate frequency and severity at 3000/3500 RPM, worst case

Have heard of other techniques to reduce the vibration but cannot find the threads, weights at ends of grips, size weight length etc.

I was thinking about a DYNAMIC ABSORBER but do not have enough info to determine the frequency, severity, angle of displacement, weight needed etc.
    Would like to have the absorber inside the bar so I can use standard grips.
    Any help in this endeavor from the group will be greatly appreciated
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Hmmmmm......

My XJ has very little handlebar vibration. I assume you have remove the ignition switch cover (has 1100 on it in gold) and checked to see that the allen screws (item 14 on diagram) that hold the bars to the fork legs are tight? Also remove the black plugs where the round hand grips meet the square vertical risers and made sure those bolts (item 5 on diagram) were tight?
    XJ handlebar assembly

I have had handlebar vibration associated with these front end problems: wheel out of balance or out of round, axle pinch bolts not tighten correctly, warped rotor. Check the front end, all nuts and bolts, to see if the vibration is originating there. The XJ isn't know for excessive bar vibration.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

jerry, Thanks for the reply. Yes all triple tree bolts and bar bolts were torqued to spec per the manual. I had other XJ owner feel my bars while running up and they said there is to much vibration. That led me in the direction of the mounts. When first purchased I found the engine guard was shorting out the mounts so I moved it but the High Frequency vibration continues. Drives the blood right out of my fingers over about an 2 hour ride. Some say that I should put a metal bar with "O" rings in the handles! Need size length and "O" ring size. Tire balance is very low frequency this is in the range of 3000 RPM or more. I will test when the bike is again running.
      Can you move this thread to the XJ/XS discussion Forum?
      Dell82
      Dell82
      Houston, TX

Comment

Have you tried a proper carb sync?

Comment

Could it maybe be bearings?? Either in the steering head letting it vibrate, or in the wheel bearings? Did you put it on the center stand, jack up the front, and see if there's any play up and down or side to side?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Randy I have not done a proper carb sync. I have four vacuum gages but are not sure if they are calibrated the same, no way to tell unless I make a manifold and set all to same reading.

TRBIG I have not checked the triple tree bearings, but they were taken apart several months ago and found to have hardened grease in them. They were ultrasonically cleaned and packed with Royal Purple synthetic grease, torqued to spec and rotated very smoothly, no extraneous movements noted, will check again tonight.
            Dell82
            Houston, TX

Comment

TRBig. all bearing and handle bars are at spec on torque. No movement in triple tree.
              Dell82
              Houston, TX

Comment

Hmmm... makes me wonder if you aren't losing one cylinder. Like maybe pilot jets are fine and idles ok, but a main jet clogged? That would be tough to diagnose. Maybe a digital thermometer... ride it at the rough idle for a bit... immediately kill it and check the temp on each pipe? I don't know what else... may be better to put this in the main forum and get some ideas from peeps that are a lot smarter than me. (Doesn't take much.. .lol)

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own