XSEast Tire Poll Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XSEast Tire Poll Question

You’re in Bridgeport WV. You’ve finished a third day of cutting WV mountain roads on your FJR1300 and your front tire looks like this, it’s literally thread bare in five places. You think back to the previous week when you had your bike serviced and the mech saying you were down to one wear bar on the front tire. Gee, I’ve only had the tire on two years. You finally crack open your logbook, do the math and note that you put the tires on 12K miles ago. You’re 270 miles from home; its Sunday evening on a Memorial Day weekend and no shops will be open tomorrow. What do you do?

a) Trust your luck, ride home on the interstate at reduced speed hoping your front tire doesn’t blow out.
    b) Trust your luck, ride home on WV-50 at reduced speed hoping your front tire doesn’t blow out.
    c) Spend another night in no tell motel, hoping they’re not shooting live video next door and take the bike to the shop Tuesday.
    d) Spend another night in no tell motel, hoping they are shooting live video next door and take the bike to the shop Tuesday.
    e) Call the wife who just got home from picking your son up in Pittsburg, hear her ten minute lecture on checking tires before a trip, coerce her into picking up a trailer then pick you up five hours later.
    f) Call the wife who just got home from picking your son up in Pittsburg, hear her ten minute lecture on checking tires before a trip, float the idea and see if she bites.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Extra Credit

Now that you’ve replaced your bald tires with new ones, cornering and maneuverability is___________
    a) a helluva lot better
    b) much better except for the rattling in the brake pads
    c) no change except you don’t have to worry about a front tire blow out
    d) worse and they didn’t shoot live video next door
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

C

Wait. Are they paying for D? Might pay for tire...

BTDT DAMHIKIJK

John
      Last edited by jwhughes3; 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM.
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

More info needed. How old is the son? Teenager you say? Option D, only stay longer.

On replacement, I am going with B because no. One would think of it if it did not happen to them.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          Wait. Are they paying for D? Might pay for tire...

BTDT DAMHIKIJK

John
          We don't need to know about other professions you have had John......and please for the love of god do not start telling us the names of the movies....
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

FWIW, my tires looked just fine before I left home. Upon my return, I'm showing fabric on the rear and getting to the wear bars on the front.

I would have made the same choice you did.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

If you have ever had a front go down at highway speed you know that A and B are not even an option.

I E or D are the best options, either way. I would prefer D personally but that's just me.

I wouldn't want to listen to the preaching all the way back home.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                We don't need to know about other professions you have had John......and please for the love of god do not start telling us the names of the movies....

Ha! Perhaps I should be more specific next time with what I had experienced

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

John, I have never inquired of the source of the callouses on your hands...let's play the Clinton game and not tell!!
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Take if from someone who wears out tires, what they "look like" has little to do with how long the tread will last. I chart every tire and carry that chart with the bike. I know how many miles I can put on a front and rear tire. I get 6200 to 7000 miles on a rear tire, 8000 - 10,000 on a front. If I have a 1,000 mile weekend planned and I have 5300 miles on a rear tire I will take it off, and replace it before I leave. Of all the things that could happen on a bike, worn tires before the end of the trip won't be one of them.

...although there was that weekend in north GA when I started out with a brand new rear tire that was completely worn after 2 1/2 days with only 745 miles on it...

Darrell you probably did the right thing waiting an extra day to get a new tire. I might have tried the slab for that 270 miles on the slab, but I am glad you didn't.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
                      Take if from someone who wears out tires, what they "look like" has little to do with how long the tread will last. I chart every tire and carry that chart with the bike. I know how many miles I can put on a front and rear tire. I get 6200 to 7000 miles on a rear tire, 8000 - 10,000 on a front. If I have a 1,000 mile weekend planned and I have 5300 miles on a rear tire I will take it off, and replace it before I leave. Of all the things that could happen on a bike, worn tires before the end of the trip won't be one of them.
                      This is a piece of advice I should follow. It seems 6K is the most I can get out of a rear tire. I got home showing some fabric on the rear and approaching the wear bars up front. The front tire is starting to show cracks in the tread grooves. The front has 12K on it or there-about.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

The Elite 3 I have on the rear of my SG I put on just before XS South East last fall and I just changed the oil for the second time so I have right at 6K on it. It MIGHT make another 3K but I won't test it on a long trip.

I like the E 3 but they have jumped in price to about $150 for a rear. Ivan suggested the Pirelli MT66 so I bought one for my next tire. $92.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, that Pirelli would save me over $60 if I bought those rather than replace the ME880. The load rating is the same for both tires @ 805 lbs. I'm not going anywhere until I replace the tires.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Ivan seems to like them and after the last weekend we rode in Arkansas it certainly hasn't slowed him down.

The $60 lower price and Ivan's endorsement is what attracted me.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Tire shopping is a drag. It's too hard to know exactly what you're actually buying.

I found:
                              Shinko 230 Tour Master @ $125 for the pair

Pirelli MT66-Route @ $165 for the pair

Metzeler ME880 Marathon @ $252 for the pair

These tires are all sized to fit my XS1100SG and all carry the same load rating. Interestingly, the Shinko is V rated and the other two are H rated.

I have the Metzeler on the bike now and I like them just fine, but are they twice as good as the Shinko? Do they last twice as long? What I have to go on is my experience with the Metzeler, and Greg's valuable endorsement of Ivan's endorsement of the Pirelli.

My own experience with the Dunlop GT501 was very good, and it's a V rated tire, but with less load rating than I desire. They cost even more than the Metzeler above and I go through them quickly. Many of you rave the Shinko 712, but I want a higher load rating.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X