Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Which base in Texas? Plenty of XSives down this way.

Snow really isn't an issue down here.
    I'll be operating out of San Marcos, Texas as a guard field artillery officer but living in Austin for my job.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Sweet, it'd be awesome if you could make it. Hopefully I'll be able to be more organized this year and get to a few more roads and sights. I guess though, if nothing else, we can just spend the whole day running up and down US-41. Heh. JK. No crappy gravel and more twisties. Check.

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Yeah, good thing I don't drink much. I think it was mostly Greg.

And that Widowmaker was awesome. One of the best beers I have had. Tod and I sampled quite a few of those and even found some of it in cans to take home.

Looking forward to it. I should be able to make it.
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Hoping to be walking and maybe even riding by then. Will just have to see how it goes.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sounds like a nice ride

Keep me posted on more information for this event. This is rally is on the calendar in pencil. Assuming the bike stays running and I can get a time a way from the kids.

Comment

moved

I moved last May and am 14 miles east on highway B . Out in the boonies..if anyone wants to layover before heading to the U.P. your more then welcome to stop, camp. Motel is close also. Can do some grilling/beers and bonfire. Have a gigantic yard and plenty of room.
            81 H

Comment

Hey all,
              Just a quick update. I called Julie's Motor Inn and they are still pretty wide open as far as available rooms. BUT, if you know you want to come up, make your reservation. Again, mention that you're part of the XS11 group so that maybe we can all get rooms in a block.

If anyone has any questions, ask before Tuesday 6/24 because after that, I'll be offline till 7/25 or so. A no-computer-usage vacation. Unless you don't mind getting an answer 3 weeks before the rally goes down.

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
              '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

head count

Have we count on the people definitely going ?
                '82 xj1100 17k miles
                '82 XJ1100 30k miles
                '82 XJ1100 90k miles <stuck in 2nd gear>

Comment

It's 1000 miles one way for me and no one else is manning up to ride along.

Not sure I can swing it financially anyway. We'll see.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

We got any takers?

So, I haven't heard from anyone who will be for sure coming.

I got a call from the motor inn and they said that another motorcycle group is having a rally that weekend as well (Ink Run?, or something). As of right now there are only 5 rooms left.

If it turns out there's not enough interest, I'll hold off from it for this year. Bike's been acting up lately anyhow. BUT, if there are folks who absolutely want to meet up, I'll finish wrenching quick and we'll meet up. Either post to the thread or shoot me a PM to let me know. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll just cancel my room and try for something else another time.

Another option: if there are people who want to head up there later in the fall for a color tour, we can plan something like that too. Roads will be a lot busier, but the colors are pretty great.

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

I am planning on coming up to ride
                      '82 xj1100 17k miles
                      '82 XJ1100 30k miles
                      '82 XJ1100 90k miles <stuck in 2nd gear>

Comment

Two days & only strabo's interested. Don't get me wrong, my feelings aren't hurt, I'm just a little surprised, that's all.

Since that's the case, I'm just going to postpone it. Sorry Strabo. Maybe this August was a bad time for folks??? I need to trace my stupid oil leak anyhow. I've been gone for the last month and work's piled up to the point where I won't get a day to get to the garage before then. Looks like I spread myself a little too thin for the end of this summer.

It is with great regret and a heavy heart that I cancel the lost in da UP rally. If there are folks who would still like to get up there to ride, I'd be happy to do it later on in the fall, or maybe next year sometime. It's a 6 hour trip for me to get there, so I'm not there often anymore, but I still love it.

-Erik

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

It's been a bad year for a lot of folks. I was thinking of coming up but everyone down here has some issue that they can't make it.

I would have had to ride to Ely, Ia and meet up with Bob Falter alone. Not that big a deal but on top of that the cash is pretty tight. That trip is 1000 miles one way for me.

Let's try again next year and see how things are.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It's been a bad year for a lot of folks. I was thinking of coming up but everyone down here has some issue that they can't make it.

I would have had to ride to Ely, Ia and meet up with Bob Falter alone. Not that big a deal but on top of that the cash is pretty tight. That trip is 1000 miles one way for me.

Let's try again next year and see how things are.
                            Hi Erik,
                            While on my dream list it was never a possibility for this year.
                            as Greg says let's try again next year. With XSSE in September August was a good choice IMHO just did not work this year for many of us.
                            My daughter just returned from a week in the lower part of Michigan visiting a friend. Heavy advertising for Pure Michigan in Toronto area this summer.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

no U.P. for me this August6 2014

[QUOTE=BA80;446644]It's been a bad year for a lot of folks.

I hope things are looking up for most of you.

Hi Erik,
                              I am not riding far or gone long lately. (Wife is recovering from some cancer surgury, and needs some help...). August is a good time to head north... perhaps next year.
                              It is a great big beautiful world out there
                              Brent in GA
                              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

[QUOTE=Brent;446661]
                                August is a good time to head north... perhaps next year.
                                August would be a good month for Oklahoma this year. I had to wear a jacket riding to work a few times this month and it's been a steady drizzle here for the last couple of days. Been in the 60's and 70's in the morning a LOT this summer.

I think we swapped climates with Seattle.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X