Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Da UP (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Okay, so I've been talking about it, I may as well post the official invitation to beautiful northern Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We had a good ride last August with some of the guys so let's do it again. Details:

When: August 15th-17th (or 18th if enough interest), 2014
    Where: Houghton, MI and the spectacular Keweenaw Peninsula
    What: XS11 Rally, of course
    Who: whoever's interested in riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads
    Why: because we'll be riding some of Michigan's best motorcycle roads

This'll be my first attempt at hosting an official rally, so I'll begin by saying that any and all advice on hosting is most appreciated. Any words of wisdom you care to throw my way, awesome. We'll be hitting US-41 up to Copper Harbor, Brockway Mountain Drive, M-26 through Eagle Falls, etc... as well as several other roads in the Keweenaw, along with a few spots of interest along the way. There's a ton of copper mining history up there, and a mine tour will be an option for those interested -probably a different mine than the one we hit last year. I'll be figuring/arranging food stops as I get a better idea of numbers. If there are folks interested in staying through to Monday, I'd be happy to continue the Keweenaw tour -there's a ton of cool stuff/places up there.

Accommodation information:
    Julie’s Motor Inn, (906) 482-5351 -mention the XS11 group when you register
    http://www.juliesmotorinn.com/
    1 bed - $60/night
    2 bed - $70/night
    Check-in after 3 pm, check-out 11 am.

If you'd prefer to camp, Hancock Beach is about 6-8 miles away from the motel, but it's over a bridge where you'll navigate grates -not great if you've had a couple at the motel. That's pretty much the only camping that's near Houghton.
    http://www.cityofhancock.com/recreat...campground.php
    15 tent sites available @ $14/day. Other sites available (prob RV sites) for $20/day.

I'll be looking further into it in the approaching weeks for closer camping oprions, but this is what I have for now. If you know you want to make a reservation at Julie's, call them and let them know you're part of the XS11 group. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to it.

-Erik
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Hi Erik,
    I have added that to " Things I want to do in 2014 List"
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

just a tip

Watch out for those Okies charging up huge bar tabs to the rally host.
      Still trying to figure out how they drank 437 dollars in beer over one weekend.
      81 H

Comment

Originally posted by haywardguy929 View Post
        Your lucky, I wasn't that thirsty.

Next time ask, no one minds chipping in a buck or 2. I never even thought or I would have offered.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There is BEER in the Upper Peninsular
          Move this up the Want to do list
          Phil
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

There is even GOOD beer in the UP. Houghton has a microbrewery that has several excellent offerings. I think Tod & Harry would probably vouch for it. The Keweenaw Brewing Co. is certainly on the itinerary for anyone who appreciates good beer. I certainly plan to pack a growler to bring some back to the motel.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Was reading there was 51 inches of snow in Houghton right now. same source said we had aBout 30. Been a b#&ch of a winter, still expecting more. You guys really get pounded up there.
              Erik, was just kidding about the bar tab from the Okies so don't get nervous....lol. Looks like things are coming together. Hope to make it up.
              81 H

Comment

About a 50-50 chance I'll either be in Michigan or moving to Texas for my guard duty station. Hopefully this weather clears soon. I'm expecting the UP to take until June to thaw out..
                78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                  About a 50-50 chance I'll either be in Michigan or moving to Texas for my guard duty station. Hopefully this weather clears soon. I'm expecting the UP to take until June to thaw out..
                  Which base in Texas? Plenty of XSives down this way.

Snow really isn't an issue down here.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

for beer of my choice....THE WIDOWMAKER !!! can't get enough of it
                    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Oh, a high maintenance drinker.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Lost in UP

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Hi Erik,
                        I have added that to " Things I want to do in 2014 List"
                        Phil
                        Good choice Phil. For a good ride & Rally in the UP, Follow a Yooper motorcyclist. Eric has "herded the cats", Led well, and learned that the group covers distance more slowly than him alone. He will not likely ever get lost though, being familiar with the area. Even when we were at the Brewery which had been closed for a loong time, he took us through the ruins and added interesting info.
                        Eric, If you simply do a repeat of last years Keewanee & UP tour, it will be a good rally. (might skip that one stretch of rough road, When we were lost in WI we praticed u-turns on gravel.) Anything more would simply make it even better. Owners & staff at Julies were friendly & helpful. Price was good. I like old style motel rooms with doors to outside. Plenty of room in parking lot for kicking tires, talking, smoking & wrenching (I brought cigars & my Harley). A good Yamaha Shop is in Ischpeming MI.
                        I have been to the UP, and would like to go again. Not too sure that I will make the trip this year, but I would like to. cool in August! Bring your warm coat, gloves & scarf etc. Warmest part of afternoons were still cool - long sleeve sweatshirts for those not riding. This is a trip North, even for you near Toronto. Recomended
                        It is a great big beautiful world out there
                        Brent in GA
                        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hi Brent,
                          It has been many years since I ventured to the Upper Peninsular.
                          It would be great to return on the bike witha bunch of XSives
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

A little more info

Brent, thanks for the kind words. I certainly did learn about group riding last year. I do hope you're able to make it, although I realize it's a substantial trek for you.

My plan is to hit the roads we did last year plus a couple extra. For Friday night I'm planning to grill up burgers & brats, corn on the cob, and have another side or two. Julie's has a grill available for use & picnic tables. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the entire weekend will be perfect weather. Like Brent mentioned it can get cooler, esp. in the a.m. And a lot of the roads are near, if not right by, big water which I guess to be 8-10 degrees cooler than inland. Good to have an extra shirt.

I just talked to the motel and Julie said that reservations usually start to pick up in June, and they are busy most summer weekends, so don't wait too long to call. But you do have a couple months here to decide if you want to come up. I'm not sure if the Houghton RV park (different from Hancock Beach mentioned in first post) allows tent camping but if you choose to camp at the city of Hancock park (Hancock Beach) across the bridge, the grate length on the bridge is about 250'. Check out google street view if you want to see it. Just FYI.

-Erik
                            Last edited by Erik the Red; 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                            '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"

Comment

Originally posted by haywardguy929 View Post
                              Yeah, good thing I don't drink much. I think it was mostly Greg.

And that Widowmaker was awesome. One of the best beers I have had. Tod and I sampled quite a few of those and even found some of it in cans to take home.

Looking forward to it. I should be able to make it.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X