No announcement yet.

XJ11 as a first bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usually not hard at all. If you upgrade to a more performance oriented pipe, like a more free flowing one, then you will have to do some carb work. If you simply switch to a factory pipe or a factory styled pipe then you just unbolt one and bolt up the other. Sometimes you may have to do a few modifications to get them to fit. I refer to it as "clearancing", or "massaging".
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

It sounds more like a ploy to get you to jump at it to me. There doesn't look like there could be too much wrong with that bike besides sit- itis, and it looks like it did that somewhere covered. Try to negotiate the price, but if you can't, $1200 still isn't a bad price from the looks of it. You may still have to stick a few bucks into it, but you can do that at your leisure. Sure beats the ^%$# out of bike payments!

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

One other thing.... if you go to a different exhaust.... just send the stock mufflers to me. I'd be glad to throw 'em away for you!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

No doubt about it, someone (maybe me) would gladly exchange a performance 4 into 1 for your stock pipes.
          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

As long as the pipes aren't rusted out from the inside, it's just a cosmetic issue. They may clean up a bit or you can just sand 'em down and paint 'em with header paint. These bikes usually like the stock pipes and intake unless you want to go through the trouble to re-jet the carbs which is a trial and error thing until you get it right.

BTW welcome to the club, you're now a Vice President!
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

newbie to ride?

New to riding anything? Go to nice secluded parking lot. Practice SLOW turns/figure 8's. Also practice stopping. Got to know what/how the bike and you respond. You don't want to get surprised on the street

mro

Comment

Good advice. Actually it's a good idea to get something old, cheap and small just to get oriented. I've taught quite a few people to ride on my XS400 and I've lent it out for people to take the DMV test on. You should jump on that XJ though (good deal), you could learn on that but consider looking about for something smaller too as a temporary learner so you could learn the control functions without taking a chance on dropping the XJ. Most of the time when bikes get dropped it's at low speed or while parking!
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Most of the time when bikes get dropped it's at low speed or while parking!
                  .. or while drunk

hey Mike, you told me i was Vice President,

Comment

first bike

I bought my XJ 2 years ago as my first bike. I'm only 5'-8" so the height was a bit of a stretch for me. The power is adicting to a new rider and I think I'll have a hard time stepping down to anything smaller.

The slow speed stuff is true as well as the rear brake thing. My brother (an experienced rider) suggested once I was used to riding for a few months that I try some slow speed stuff in an empty parking lot, standing up on the pegs. I thought he was nuts until I tried it. This is not a substitute for counter-steering but it teaches you balance. When in a tight U-turn, I slide my but to the outside of the turn and always look to where you want to go - not where the wheels are tracking. Always countersteer.

Good luck - hope you can snatch it up!

Tom B.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG

.. or while drunk

hey Mike, you told me i was Vice President,
                      In charge of what?
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

Comment

Always countersteer.
                        You cannot turn a bike without countersteering. It's just not possible. California superbike school have a device that proves it.

Comment

Hey Turbo,

I believe what Tom was saying was that he should NOT try to steer it at speed by JUST LEANING, as what many newbies think they need to do, WITHOUT using the countersteering technique!?

You CAN turn one, albeit very slowly just by leaning, but yes, Countersteering is the only true safe/reliable/effective method!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gaaaaaaaaaaaghh I was just ready to go over there and check the thing out and he decided not to sell due to "sentimental value"! Turns out it was his dad's bike and he didn't want to part with it. C'est la vie.

Oh well, it's sort of a buyer's market around here in Detroit due to all the economic hardships in the auto industry, so I expect more bikes on the market soon. I do really appreciate all your advice though, both xs/xj related as well as general motorcycle tips. I'm not going to let this little set back hold me down though, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for good ride!

Comment

No Problem LOC.

Just keep looking and feel free to buy anything out there..... as long as it's a '78-84 XS or XJ!!

Good luck. Once you feel that wind in your hair... look down and see the road just beyond your feet... the noises and smells so much more intense than in a cage... the underhanded wave from every other bike (XSept half the Harleys)... it's addictive.
                              I wave at everyone... and if they don't wave back, it's real easy to just curl up all but one finger while it's out there!

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                                ... the underhanded wave from every other bike (XSept half the Harleys)... it's addictive.
                                I wave at everyone... and if they don't wave back, it's real easy to just curl up all but one finger while it's out there!

Tod
                                Everybody waves in these parts except guys with apehangers.
                                Shiny side up,
                                650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X