XJ11 as a first bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 as a first bike?

I am a non-motorcylist looking for a 1st bike and have recently been offered a 1982 Maxim with 7,000 miles on it. From what I can tell via the photos it looks pretty darn good for an '82 and according to the seller it "runs strong". He's looking for $1200.

Here's what he says: "This a great bike with less than 7,000 miles. It has newer tires (less than 100 miles), new spark plugs, oil just changed, new fuel lines, brake system flushed and pads inspected, and carbs just cleaned. I do have the title for this bike. The price is $1200 but is negotiable. "

What I am nervous about is the 1100cc's for a new rider. Will this bike be unwieldy for a complete newbie to ride?

Here's a photo for reference
    Last edited by locdogg; 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM.

I don't think so, The 1100's are pretty docile machines till you turn the wick up. The only thing I could see as a problem is. These bikes are heavy like 500 plus pounds. And they tend to show their weight at slow speeds. And could give you problems if you plan to take the road test at your local DMV. But if you take a Motorcycle saftey course (which I highly recommend) you can by pass the road test portion of getting your license.

Another positive note is you won't have to upgrade from some pewny little starter bike later.
    1980 XS850G
    1978 XS750SE>>>>>Sold
    1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Welcome!..........and no, you won't have any problems, as these bikes 'lug' around real well so you won't have any surprises........also, that's a steal for that XJ as good as it looks, and hardly broke in to boot!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Go for it! I did the very same thing a couple years ago and have never had any second thoughts. I agree about the weight, but you'll quickly get used to it. Also did the MSF course.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

If you don't snap it up, I'm sure someone else will. Offer him $900 or 950.... all he can say is no, and you can deal from there. Just tell him you're a little concerened with the age of the bike..... then giggle like a school-girl all the way home.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I learned to ride on my XS and enjoy its solid feel compared to a Virago and its responsiveness compared to a big Harley, which are the only two other bikes I've ridden to compare it with. Of course, I'm still a crappy rider, so what do I know?
            ~LoHo~
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

The only thing I would warn you about is braking while cornering at slow speed. If, as you should, take the motorcycle crse, you will find emphasis placed on slow speed riding - that having been said when you push down on the right foot pedal - on most bikes the rear brake is activated. Unless the previous owner/s have disabled it, the maxim has what some refer to as intragal? braking. When the foot pedal is depressed both the rear brake (located on the right side of the bike) and the front left brake come on at the same time.
              "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
              84xj1100
              82xj1100

Comment

My XS was my first bike, and I've handled it well. Like others have said, it's a heavy bike, and compared to other bikes I have rode, it's top heavy too. You also won't grow out of this bike so it will serve you well for many years.

I would say go for it!
                1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate all the advice. I emailed the guy back to see if I can come by and look at it. I'll of couse play up the "poor grad student" angle and see where it takes me.

Wish me luck!

Comment

My first motorcycle experience was on an XS1100 when I was 17 years old.

What an awesome memory. it felt like I was riding a confidence inspiring muscular steed.

Now I'm 33, and I own that bike...

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

I paid $1300.00 for this one, He wanted 1500.00 but when I saw the headlight wasnt working He dropped it down, it also had a dent with paint chipped off the tank.

It had 32,000 miles on it.
                      I believe I got a good deal, so it looks like you stand to get a great deal! Good luck.

'82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Does anybody have a backrest like the one on the bike "locdogg" is looking at?

I'd like to have one like that to switch out with the one I have on now. I'd be interested in buying one.

Thanks in advance, you can reply here or PM me.
                        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Another thing not mentioned... my first bike was a 550. It was great... quick... nimble... good enough power>>>> for about a month. Then I wished for something bigger that wasn't straining so hard at highway speeds.
                          Same thing happened to me with a Yamaha YZ 250 in the Nevada desert. That thing was wicked fast.... uncontrollable at times>>>>> For about a month! Then I'd wished I had gotten the 490.
                          Just because the these 1100's have nearly 100hp, doesn't mean you have to get into them until you're ready. To me, they feel like a lighter more agile bike because the power is good enough to move me and the bike around corners without any strain to it, but not so stupid fast that you worry about it getting away from you.

Good luck.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ditto what everyone else said. I started on the xs11. Just have to use your head a little and realize that even though it has all of this power, you do not HAVE to use it ALL!! Just take it easy and remember the weight issue particuarlly at slow speeds. Also my biggest problem seemed to be giving it the juice coming out of a hard corner. Seems to want to come out from under you and slide out of the corner. Not a big problem, just give it less juice! Just be CAREFUL any time that you use that right hand for at least 15 years until you get used to it!!!
                            Travis Miller
                            1978 E

Comment

Update: He said he had some people coming over last night and again this morning to "look at it" then emailed me this afternoon to see when I wanted to come by.

Hmmm... this tells me one of two things, either A) there is some fatal flaw B) there really was no one coming by to look at it!

Oh, and to everyone saying be careful, well I most certainly will. I'm past my wild days and am now just looking for a nice bike to cruise around on for those warm summer days.

Oh, and how hard/$$ is it to put some new pipes on? They look kinda rusted up in the photo. Maybe I can knock him down a bit because he seems like he needs/wants to sell.
                              Last edited by locdogg; 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X