Jetting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trbig, try this one

these are like what i have on my XJ, never gave problem, and you clean and oil them when the get dirty, I got my cleaner and oil at the yamma shop (K&N brand) for $8 or $10 bucks, and it will last for years as little as you have to clean these things (on the cleaner it says every 50,000 mi. but I do it when they look dirty, or shine a light through them as you would do a car filter and see if you can see light coming through well. These say they fit XJ 82-84.
    At that price I dont think you can go wrong unless they just dont fit.
    http://Partsnmore.com

OVAL CHROME CAP AIR FILTER
    54mm - Fits XJ1100 (82)

$12.00US EA.

Part#15-0035

Any XJ owners tried these and can report? They look identicle to what I have, but as i said mine came on the bike.
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Oh, and with that order you would qualify for free shipping so if you need anything else like mirrors, handgrips or whatever now would be the time to check out so other items also.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Thanks John, but Partsnmore is where I ordered these that I am having the problems with. I am looking for some that don't restrict down the neck size going into the carbs. I think these would be the same design as the round ones. Would prefer to spend the 60 bucks on the right ones, than 40 bucks on a maybe.... unless someone else has ordered these of of them and they are different?? The filters LOOK fine... just don't perform.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

OH, same?

I thought you said you had POD, like foam or something.

Well whatever the brand is I have they fit perfectly no cutting, it just doesnt say anything on them,

someone hopefully will enlighten us as to what brand they are...

Guys we're all ears,

good luck,
          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

trbig,

You may have to start a new thread to get an answer on the filters.
            '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

I ordered these filters from partsnmore.com:

They have about a 1/4 gap between this lip you speak of and the airjets and the like on my carburetors. So I have no problem running them.
              "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

Learning not to be too pushy!

Hey Firehawk,

Are they EMGO, or did they come in boxes labelled Emgo?! I got identical looking ones in EMGO boxes from BikeBandit, and they too fit like you described, with 1/4" or so gap between the bell and that inner lip!

On most of the carbs I've seen, they have a small metal tang that sticks out from the outside of the bell, about a 1/2" from the edge, which is a guide on fitting the OEM rubber filter tubes up to this little lip. IF I push hard on the Pod Filter, I can easily push it over/past this metal lip, and then the pod rubber lip DOES make contact with the Inlet bell's ports.

SO...I'm wondering if some folks are pushing them on too far onto the inlet bells, and that's why they get the air flow restriction?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopCatGr58:

I would agree with you, I just went outside and loosened one. I could shove it all the way up and cover the airjets and the like. I think that is what people are probably doing, as it didn't take too much effort and it seems as though the pods are 'more secure' that way, although the way I have them installed (with a 1/4" gap), I can't pull them off if I try when they are tightened.

I'm not sure what brand they are, I didn't actually pay attention to the boxes other than that the boxes were red and the 54mm box was checked.. Just sprayed some K&N oil I bought from Advanced Auto Parts on them and installed them.
                  "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

More Pod info and pix!

Here's a few pix illustrating what we're talking about!

First is a side view of the carb, with the Pod filter installed, and you can see that little metal tang just at the end of the filter mount!

Next, I removed the filter from the mounting ring, and put it on a spare carb, from the rear it looks like it obstructs the flow!

But, in these 2 shots, I have the head of a phillips screw bit stuck in between the carb body and the edge of the angled flange/lip of the pod filter mount, seems to be plenty of room!?

But IF folks are paranoid, they can cut out a section where the arced port it, and then just apply some silicone sealant to the filter and rubber mount to make a seal, should stay securely!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Firehawk,

Those are the same filters I ordered from Partsnmore. Here's the generic box they came in.

If I put the filter boots on all the way to the tab like in TC's picture, the motor craps out at 6 grand. I am not installing them past this tab. If I back the boot out to where it is just barely catching the bell like this..

It will go up to about 7 grand before it craps out, and doesn't pop and sputter as bad. If I take the filters completely off, it runs on up to redline like a new one. To me, that's telling me that there's not enough air getting through the carbs for whatever reason.... either the smaller diameter of the boot that the air is going through, or it is still partially blocking a port.
                      When I remove my air filter boots after running the bike, the boots and the bells are wet with fuel. It has to be causing some sort of "Swirling" problem for the fuel to be getting back to there. I am going to order the more expensive K&N knockoffs mentioned on here and try that.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

(sorry about the picture size)

Those are mine installed. This is odd. My engine screams all the way to 8500 without a single problem (minus the cutting out discussed in a different thread, which I believe to be non-carb related).

That box is what mine came in. We got the same filters. This is quite odd that it has no bad effect on my carbs but strangles yours.

The onlyproblem with these filters is that I perhaps jetted too high anticipating more flow.

And don't mind the fact that my boots look like ****, they seemingly don't leak or the screw I stripped out of my carb lever holder that I'm too lazy to attempt to drill/tap as it works just fine without it. :P

Comment

sounds like a jetting issue

trbig,

it sounds like you are just too rich, and may also have some plugged up venturies (orfices) in your carbs,
                          because it sounds as if without any filters it is just about right, therefore with any little bit of restriction: ie. your filters-
                          it is overly rich, thus the wet with fuel problems when you run them.

I hate to say it but you may have to triple clean those carbs, taking all jets out and thoroughly
                          cleaning all orfices and passages to get whatever is olstructing the flow out.

Let us know if that helps, also I would suggest going down to 122.5 mains, and stay with stock
                          pilot or at most go up one size, but mine I stayed with stock pilot jet and
                          works fine, idle mixture screw out 3-4 turns makes mine idle just right.
                          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

The pictures show a definate problem. Anyone know how a pitot tube works? With those holes covered or partially covered, there will be a difference from how the carb was designed to work. The hole size was designed to measure "impact pressure" (aka total pressure) as air enters the carb. The impact pressure is converted largely to static pressure inside the carb. With the carb shown (later models), it can affect the operation of the slide, the richness of the main jet, pilot jet, and perhaps even the venting of the bowls. If the vent to the bowl is blocked completely there could be real problems.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Pod Filter Velocity Stacks!

Hey Skids,

How about this adaptation? I had said first about getting some stuff from LOWES, but I had quoted the wrong sizes. The correct size of Flexible Rubber Coupler is 1-1/2" cause they size them for the "inner" diameter of the pipe being joined, not the outer! I also measured some 1-1/2" PVC pipe, but it wasn't quite wide enough, but the 1-1/4" PVC coupler IS wide enough.

Here's my original pod filters mounted:

Below is a shot of the Rubber coupler after it was cut in half, and then mounted it with the cut off end onto the carb inlet bell. The part of the rubber where the hose clamp fits would not fit close enough to the carb body to secure it properly. You have to
                              S-T-R-E-T-C-H the rubber a bit but it will fit, and then clamp it with the hose clamp.

Here's a view down the throat showing no restriction to the inlet ports!

Here are a couple shots with the PVC coupler cut in half and mounted about halfway into the rubber coupler, and again looking down into the throat!

Here's the PVC coupler sticking out some from the rubber coupler, had to put a few layers of Duct Tape around it for the Filter Pods to fit onto it a little more securely, since the Pods were the 54mm size. IF they had been 52mm, they would have probably just slid and tightened right down onto the plain PVC coupler!

And here's the filter mounted to the rubber/PVC adapters! I ran out of time today to finish the other three!

Almost forgot, final rundown of cost:
                              4 Hose Extra Clamps: $3.50
                              2 of 1-1/2" Rubber Couplers: ~$7.00
                              2 of 1-1/4" PVC Coupler: $1.12
                              Total: $11.62 + tax!
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Pod Filter Velocity Stacks!

Be sure and let us know if there are (or if there are not) performance changes. TC, you are an inventor.
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X