No announcement yet.

Jetting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the plugs looked slightly on the lean side before... but everybody was saying rich.... Some say you can tell... others say you can't with the new fuels. I just don't know.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Trbig

I still say you are lean, especially now with pod filters.
      I looked back at your posts and didnt see what your floats were at . I have 4-1 exhaust and indiv. K&N style filters (paper/steel mesh) so I went up 3 sizes on mains and left pilots alone.
      now get 35-38 mph, and plenty of power and take off.
      Good luck.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not sure which way to go. I am going to agree at this point that maybe it is running rich. I had alsways thought that the blueing was from lean... but when I start it in the garage, it the fumes smell pretty rich. Bigger valves sucking in more mixture than the XS motor was meant to maybe?? My fuel mileage isn't great... but it's not terrible either. @ 27-30 mpg on cruising at 70-75mph.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        My fuel was around 25 mph with stock jetting, once I went to 122's I believe it was, (3 steps up) mains, then since I left pilot alone I had to screw the mixture screws (screw that has needle that comes out right in front (or behind) the butterflies inside the ventura-(throat of carb)-out to about 4 turns out (cant remember exact # of turns)but close to that.
        Also I had it syncronized, I tried to find the thread where i posted the details and if I find it i'll post the link
        Last edited by xj11john; 03-24-2006, 04:53 AM.
        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

My results were spread out on several threads so here is the results

mains 122.5's , pilots stock, ind. filters, and idle screws out about 4 turns.

hope that helps.
          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Since I was originally thinking I was lean, I figured in 2 sizes for main jets, then I had pods ordered, so I figured 3 sizes for those.... so I ordered a set of mains that were 5 sizes up (125's) from the 112.5's. I will get some new plugs and put those and the new jets in tonight and see how it does.
            How can I tell if I need bigger pilots? I know on here they say to go up one size for every 3 main, but like John, many haven't changed their pilots at all after doing things like this. It starts cold OK choked. I will make sure all the butterflies are the same, then re- sync it. The last time I set these, I made sure the butterflies all were set to about halfway through that little hole at the top of the throat. I was told that this was maybe a better way than the bread tie thing. Should I open them up a bit more while I am there?? Close them a bit? Leave it all alone until I run it tonight? I am leaning towrds just running it tonight with the new plugs and jets and go from there...just one thing at a time.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Pod Filters sometimes don't SUCK!

Hey Tod,

I sent you a big PM yesterday explaining problems others have had when they put the Pod Filters on. Put the new plugs in, and take the pods OFF, and run it down the road and see how it performs, should rocket to 8.5 k without a hitch.

THEN, put the pods back on, and see how it behaves. IF it bogs down, then you know it's the pods restricting airflow. I wrote about how to trim the lip from the filters so as not to block the curved inlet port on the top of the inlet bell that provides the flow for the vacuum slides!!

OOPS, just reread your post, I thought in your previous PM to me that you had already put in the newer richer jets, and that this symptom was with the NEW jets AND the pod filters!? Okay, so now it does seem like you're way too lean with the 112.5 jets, AND the pods!! It's just that some folks reported similar symptoms with their PODS, and it was due to restricted air flow, cause they took the pods off, and it ran great with no other jet change!?
              Keep us informed on your progress!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK... I took the pods off and went for a ride. It ran fine.. pods are choking the life outta me! Only way to modify the pods is by cutting away the lip that is holding the filter on! Does anyone know of a place to get different pods that I wont have to modify that won't choke me down?
                On a side note, I came back in, put my new main jets in (125's) and went for a ride again without filters. It pops and sputters BAD and won't idle, but HOLY SHEEP S@$* BATMAN!! It ran like a scalded azz ape wide open! My first gear has started jumping... haven't done the fix, so started in 1st easy... shifted to second and gunned it and couldn't believe it! I thought it might be pulling hard enough, so I slowed back down, did a low RPM start in second again, leaned back just a little, and when it hit 4 grand, the front wheel came up and stayed up to 9 grand, blipped the throttle and hit 3rd with a no clutch shift and the wheel touched but came back up! 3rd slips a little bit and about 7 grand it finally dropped back down. I'm not talking straight up in the air full wheelie, but maybe 5 or 6 inches off the ground?? But man what a ride! Is there any way to keep this type of performance without getting 10 miles a gallon and running like crap the rest of the time? Can it be done with filters on? Again, does anyone know of a filter pod that doesn't restrict the airway like these do? At this point, I'd even pay K&N's price, but would like to get around it if possible.

Whew... man.. I'm still excited! lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Tod,

I dont wheelie (frankly alitttle chicken) Prob would do it though, but do get great gas mileage with my set up.

also I saw on this thread alot about pod filters and a good source on page 5, havent looked at it recently but here it is.

www.aperaceparts.com

heres the thread http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=5
                  '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Thanks John.

Anybody else try these filters out? Also, anybody know where to order a little filter for the big crank case hose that used to plug into the top of my stock airbox?
                    I also didn't wheelie on purpose before this... just kinda cool that I could. I never could before on this bike.
                    I haven't ever messed with the mixture screws.... still stock and haven't been drilled. A little scared to. I'm afraid I may have to... and get a colortune to get it right I guess.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Tod

Do a search for one of TC's posts about trimming off the inner lip of the inlet rubber on the filters, so it doesn't interfere with the airflow into the carbs. I would think you could use an exacto knife, or maybe even a deburring tool on a die grinder or a small coarse grinding rock in a Dremmel tool.

Comment

Thanks John. As flimsy as this rubber lip is, I am thinking that by trimming on it, it wouldn't be strong enough to hold the filter on any more. I am just going to order some better ones that don't do this, and in the mean time, just barely mount the filters on the carb bells so as not to completely close off the ports. I am going to put the stock 112.5 mains back in and maybe look at ordering some that are just maybe 2 or 3 sizes up instead of 5.
                        Can anyone tell me why it is sputtering and popping so much at low RPM's now? Even back with the stock jets, it does it. Like I said before, at 2-3000 rpms, at a steady speed, or slightly decel, it pops and sputters pretty bad... but does not miss a lick on accel.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Another trick I have seen here is to remove the OEM intake boots from the airbox, and attach the new pods to the airbox ends of them, and then attach it all to the carbs.

Comment

Hey Tod,

YES, drill out your pilot screw caps, actually do a search for that, and you should find a post I made describing in detail the safe way to do this to remove them! Then turn your pilot screws OUT a few turns, this will richen up the pilot circuit and help to reduce your popping on decel and probably help in getting it to idle!

Your 125 mains may be adequate and not necessarily too rich.

IF you've got a LOWES or HOME DEPOT store near by, go to the plumbing section. They have 2" diameter rubber pipe fittings, and get a 2" diam. piece of PVC, cut it into a few inches long sections x 4, get 4 of the 2" rubber joining fittings, and mount the rubber fittings onto the carbs, and the PVC into the fittings and then the filters onto the ends of the PVC pipes, and you'll have velocity stacks as well, without cutting up your OEM intake rubbers!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I put the stock 112.5's back in today and just BARELY put them on to the carb bells and clamped them down good with clamps. It runs really well with the stock jets in it, except it still cuts out around 6-7 grand now. I just don't think those bigger valves are getting enough air through that 41mm hole in the filters. All this messing with jets and such, I need to sync the carbs agaib. Idler screw isn't even touching anything and it's still idling around 2 grand. Kinda like it was doing before I sync'd it last time, just not as bad.
                              I got the fever after puting it back together since it was so nice today, so I took off for a short trip, that ended up being longer than planned. Rode down to north Texas (@ 100 miles) and ended up making a beer run. lol. I got little better than 30 mpg on the way down, but only about 26 on the way back.... but had two 30 packs of Bud hanging out the saddle bags catching wind!
                              I honestly think this thing is running rich still with the stock jets. Maybe it's the smaller opening of these filters, but who knows. I'm goiong to order the right filters through that web site John gave me if nobody has heard anything bad about them. I had tried to look at the stock airbox boots already to see if that would work, but the only way I could see was to cut up my 100 dollar boots... not me! Then I would still be trying to suck air through that 41mm hole.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

Tribg I used to ride a 78' XS11 with just wire gauze over the intakes and a loud obnoxious exhaust(that cracked windows) also jetted to hell I'd wring it out in 1st to 9000 revs and shut the throttle and coast clean thru the city traffic at 50mph backfiring on the over-run like you wouldn't beleive and it'd wheelie in 2nd easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X