looking at a XS1100 midnite, might buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at a XS1100 midnite, might buy

I'm going to look at a midnite special XS1100 tomorrow. What are some soft spots of the bike I should check on? Right now its got a locked front brake and its not starting due to flooding, the owner said he will have those fixed before I come look at it. He says its an 82.

Check this out:

http://www.xs11.com/faq/neglectedxs.shtml

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

IT's a GAS, GAS, GAS!!!

Hey there Gas,

Can't tell WHERE you are, no info in your profile, so don't know if you're in the US, Canada, across the pond??

If US, then IF it's an 82, it's an XJ, not an XS11. IF it has curved spoke wheels, it's an XJ, along with other tell tale signs, like YICS on the engine covers, etc.

Otherwise it's an 81LH, that probably first got registered/titled in 82. However, I've heard that Yamaha made the XS in 82 in Canada and EURO!?

The flooding is probably gummed up carb float needle seats. Not a biggie persae` cause you'll need to rebuild the carbs anyways. What is a concern is ensuring that gas didn't leak into the intakes and get down into the engine, not good to run it with gas in the oil!

You say locked front brake...as in ONE? The XJ's front master cylinder controls the right front caliper, the rear brake lever controls the rear and the left front thru a linked system! Starting to sound more like an 82XJ1100.
      Good Luck! T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I'm in GA. He said he rode it up till the summer, let it sit the winter, then pulled it out to sell it and it was flooding and the brake was locked up.

But what you're saying is an XS1100 would have 2 front discs and calipers and a XJ would have 1? If thats so its a XJ. It only had one and he had it off as his mechanic was working on the caliper.

Comment

Nope.... got that backwards. If it has 2 front calipers... it's an XJ.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nope on both accounts

Both the XJ and the XS has dual front disc calipers, but the XJ's front MC handlebar only controls the right one, the rear MC controls both the rear and the left front caliper.

The XS11 has a larger capacity front MC that controls both front calipers. So...if it has only 1 front caliper, then either the "other" one was removed, OR it's not an 11?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey TC

The '81 LH has "curved" gold-spoke wheels. The '80 LG has straight gold-spoke wheels.

And at least my '81 LH has the split-controll calipers on the front - hence the reason the Midnight Special front master cylinder is much smaller - it only controls one brake caliper.

Brian

Comment

curved spoked wheels, it did have dual front discs, I missed that the first time. I doubt I"ll buy it though, it still won't start, it has fuel and ignition issues, and I looked some more and realized its been dropped at one point in its life. It also has 31k+ miles. Seems like he's hiding something, he's acting real shady.

Comment

Easy way to tell the XJ from the XS at a glance is the instrument cluster. The XJ has an LCD readout panel between the tach and speedometer. Wheels / rims are interchangeable, not always the most reliable indicator, but the instrument panels are completely different and won't interchange. The XJ also has square handlebars, another good tip-off.

There was an XJ Midnight Special; I've never seen one but a few people have reported seeing one. If this is a "Midnight Maxim" I might be interested in it if you are not; let me know.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Compression tests are quick and easy. It would tell you a hell of a lot into the amount of "fixing up" that it MIGHT need.

Originally posted by gasisontheright
                    curved spoked wheels, it did have dual front discs, I missed that the first time. I doubt I"ll buy it though, it still won't start, it has fuel and ignition issues, and I looked some more and realized its been dropped at one point in its life. It also has 31k+ miles. Seems like he's hiding something, he's acting real shady.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Brian,

Thanks, I had forgotten about the 81LH having the curved spokes, and that it was where Yamaha started with the split front brakes, 'preciate the correcto!!

Hey Gas,

Well, he might be trying to hide something, or he may just not know what's really wrong with it, and as has been found by many here, lots of times, it's a relatively simple fix once you know what to do, and have a little mech skill!?

What some folks think are really bad problems quite often turn out to be easy fixes, like corroded connectors that can cause an ignition problem. The leaking fuel is easy to fix. Even the dreaded 2nd gear problem isn't that hard to do.

With these problems presenting themselves, you should be able to do a bit of bargaining to get the selling price down a bit!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

I talked to him today. He said it turned out he didn't have enough gas in it. He got it running, took it out for a ride, then it broke down on him. He said something ab out the fuse box, he thinks its like a loose wire or something, but he knows very little about bikes/motors, and it tired of calling mechanics so he said he'd let it go for $700. I'll probably end up with it tomorrow.

Comment

What a block head, the seller that is!

Well, it just so happens that I have those nice new ATC/ATO style replacement fuse blocks in stock and ready for immediate shipping up receipt of a modest $7.00 payment!

See the thread here, and follow the instructions! Now, don't forget to show us some photos of your new ride!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

As soon as its home there will be pics. Thanks all who helped.

Comment

Nice work... I went to Georgia and bought my MS..It's an '81. Get some pictures posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X