fuel diaphram and petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel diaphram and petcocks

The bike is a 1984 Maxim 1100. I had fuel leaking out #1 Carb into the air box. I changed the needles and seats. My fuel diaphram (octupus) was leaking so I ordered a rebuild kit for it and the petcocks. Anyway when I was taking it apart something dropped on the floor. Can't find anything so I dont know what it was, My question is, is there supposed to be a spring in there or does the rubber diaphram work to keep the fuel from flowing. I seem to have everything else. If so does anyone know what the spring is supposed to look like, maybe I can find one somewhere.

I also rebuilt the petcocks but the left one is still dripping. Not very much but it is leaking some. The handle is also broken off. Are these available anywhere or does anyone have petcocks they are willing to part with? The petcocks and diaphram are the same ones that ar on my 1981 midnight special so I assume Yamaha didn't change the design for a number of years. I kind of want to keep the bike stock account it only has 17,000 kms on it.

If it is anything like the octopus diaphram on mine, there is a spring that keeps it close when there is no vacuum pressure. Did you check on yamaha parts page?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yes, All they show is the complete diaphram assembly, no exploded veiw. The Diaphram is still available but 2-3 week wait. Also $75 cdn. May have to go that route.

Comment

Does it look like this?
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Cokeman,

The spring is 1/2" diameter and about 2" long, hard to miss. Take another look around, and if you still can't find it, PM me your address and I'll mail you one. Should take about a week to get to you. Better than $75 cdn !!

Comment

Randy: You are the best. Once I had an idea what I was looking for I went on another hunt. Found it clear across the garage under my boat. Thanks alot. Now I just hope the thing works after the rebuild.

Comment

Yo Cokeman,

Where, when did you get your 84 xj.

Being a Cdn owner with an original purchase in Edmonton, in 85, of an 84 xj1100 and when our neighbours south of the border seem a little skeptical about it's exsistance, it intrigues me when one surfaces.

Ed
              "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
              84xj1100
              82xj1100

Comment

I boughtt it Last november from some guy that had it and thought it was too much bike for him. He bought it from the original owner that had it stored. The bike was not even registered from 1989 to 2006. Ther original owner did a fairly good job of storing it at least. It had the carbs done before I got it and since then other than leaky petcocks and fuel diaphram I havent had any problem with it. I have the fuel leaks repaired and it is running as strong as it should be. By the way, there was some confusion about what year the bikee actually was. It was manufactured in Late 1983 and sold as a 1984. Either way I love it.

Darrell

Comment

Well I don't know if you really realize it or not but you sure lucked in on the purchase. Got photos???

Ed
                  84xj1100
                  82xj1100

Comment

Hope this works. I threw in a pic of my 81 MNS as well.

Comment

Oh my word,

I was right...........that is one gorgeous piece of kit. That takes me back to 1985 - the first year I owned mine, I put her to bed with 11,500 kms on it.

The seat (which has since been redonetwice), the pipes (which have been replaced & close to it again) and the carrier (which looks brand new - mine shows its 110 kms+)

cherish that baby pal....

the MNS ain't lookin too bad either

Ed
                      84xj1100
                      82xj1100

Comment

Working...
                      X