8000k's chain XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 CHAIN

WILL THE 530 CHAIN BE FATTER/TALLER THAN THE ONE YOU HAVE IN YOUR PIC? FRAME CLEARANCE O.K. ALSO. THE VFR SWINGARM I HAVE HAS 43 TEETH. I ASKED YOU WHAT YOUR EXACT WHEEL WAS BECAUSE I REALLY DONT KNOW IF I COULD GET A SMALLER REAR SPROCKET FOR IT BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT IS DESIGNED WIYH THE LARGE DRIVE HUB....THANKS AGAIN....CHOP
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

530 same height 520. 43teeth on the back is perfect with a 17 inch rim. 13 with 17 should be 3600 revs at 65mph. Did mention 2mm spacers at back sprocket and sprockets at the rear are about NZ$120 but the stud pattern is needed. Sprockets milled down from 530 sprockets with the shoulder left on.

Comment

kit

looks like a kit may be in the works!!!
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Questions about the rear wheel?

Hey Pggg and Chop,

Along with the possibility of trying to find a 650 rim, I was also wondering about the chance of using the XS11 rim!? It was mentioned that a very large spacer would need to be machined to fit on/over the spline area to be able to mount the sprocket wit enough clearance to miss the tire!

My question is about the fancy Rubber shock cushions that are on most of the chain sprocketed rear wheels I've seen. Is that absolutely necessary, or can a sprocket be fitted to the rear rim without this type of cushion obsorber? Would it possibly cause quicker wear to the chain/sprocket? Is it mostly to reduce vibration in the rear wheel? Thanks in advance!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

good question

answer is E: ALL OF THE ABOVE. ACTUALLY THE XS11 REAR WHEEL WOULD WORK GREAT BECAUSE OF THE SIX ABSORBERS TAKING SHOCK OUT OF THE CHAINDRIVE/MIDDLE GEAR .YOU WOULD NEED TO MACHINE A SPACER. i THINK THAT WOULD BE PART OF THE KIT!!! i LIKE PGGG'S IDEA OF TWO RIGHT SIDE SWING-ARMS WELDED TOGETHER. hOW ABOUT HIDDEN CHAIN ADJUSTERS?!#!$!#! I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THAT SETUP SINCE I HAVE 4 EXTRA SWING-ARMS IN STORAGE. HEY PGGG,CAT, JUST FOR THOUGHT,WOULD A 14T FRONT SPROCKET BE MUCH MORE DIAMETEROR CASE CLEARANCE PROBLEM THAT 13T? JUST WONDERING BECAUSE THE STRUT-ROD THAT NEEDS TO BE WELDED ACROSS THE TWO SIDES CAN BE LARGER IN DIA. THEN A NOTCH CAN BE TAKEN OUT FOR A LITTLE LARGER SPROCKET I'VE FOUND. 2 SUMMERS AGO, I HAD THE STANDARD 17 ON THE BACK OF MY 79F, I HIT @140MPH, WAS CHECKED WITH MY FRIENDS HYABUSA. DYNATEK COILS MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Notice quite a few custom bikes have a 'solid' rear sprocket/rim setup, so obviously functional anyways. The usual cushdrive or sprocket carrier setup is most likely smoother at least. Chop,14T is an extra 5mm in diameter and a no-go without removing metal from the surrounding ENGINE case. Hey TC, find out the rim centreline to inside sprocket measurement of an XS650 wheel, and if by lucky chance it's 110 - 115mm, then you'd be good to go without too much trouble.

Comment

thanks

O.k. that settles that question. Looks like the only one that will work is 13T then. the cush drive on the xs11 is a great design. i was trying to look at the xs650 rim online to see if they have the small cylindrical cush drives as well. I couldn't tell so i'll check at the bone yard next chance i get, there are a few there.what is the largest tire you could put on the 650 rim? There is a shop here in okc that can wided the rim. now that would be trick....chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

banshee sprocket

although not positive about the fitment, it looks like a front drive sprocket from an 89-04 yamaha banshee is 13T with the same spline pattern as the xs11 shaft...if you guys have one lying around....chop
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

XS650 rim

The 650 rear rim does not have the cushioned sprocket as standart.
                    Some of the guys in the german XS650 forum have changed that by using a rim from the old RD250 with spoke wheels.
                    This set-up helps to keep the springs in the clutch basket of the 650 alive. The springs take up the work of the cushions, but usually do not live too long.
                    XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Hey Chop, just looked at a pic of a banshee sprocket on the net. It looks to be less than 530 pitch(3/8" width) They're possibly 520 pitch(1/4" width) If so, they'd be less than satisfactory as they have no collar/shoulder, and 530 is what's really needed on an XS11, but the spline pattern sure looks very similar to what's needed. Will check out the local bikeshops sprocket catalogues tomorrow to confirm. If no good, I can get some spare 530 13t made next week. Will keep in touch. Cheers.

Comment

13t banshee

Hey pggg, that's where i came up with the banshee sprocket. i could tell it was a little thin, but i figured some company had a thicker one for hi-performance or something. there are alot of 4-wheel junkies here!!! How much$ do you need for one of those sprockets? let me know...and thank you...chop
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Yeah nah, banshee/warrior sprockets fit a smaller shaft. Also only in 520. Have some custom sprockets getting cut at the moment. The blank sprockets they use are about NZ$10 each plus labour for machining and hardening. Won't cost much in U.S. dollars. Am also getting them to skim 3mm off the spline stops so I can move the 530 sprocket 3mm more to the right on the shaft. That'll allow a bit more chain clearance at the rear using the wider 530 O-ring chain.

Comment

chain clearance

hey pggg, that last reply sounded right. I was wondering about YOUR chain clearance. so when you move your chain 3mm to the right,you mean closer to the engine correct? So the chain clearance you refer to is the chain to upper brace that connects to the swing-arm pivot area or the lower frame part to swing-arm pivot? reason being is the way i will have to cut the middle gear case to keep it 1-piece,looks like I will have to maybe reweld the lower frame part that connects to the swingarm pivot point. Not too difficult....p.s....in your pics i can only see where your chain looks @ 1/2 inch fom the pivot point from above...thanks... chop
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

You can see where the chain just skims past that lower frame tube - right where the tube is angled. Chain is clear when riding and will lightly skim the hose plastic on bumps etc.. Also on the top of the swingarm pivot tube, you can see where the chain will touch the plastic strip with no rider on board. With a rider on board, the chain sits clear above that plastic. With shocks uncompressed, the chain is lightly touching it. The two points show the line of the chain when the front sprocket is positioned hard to the right(engine side) on the shaft.

Comment

chain position

thanks for clearing everything up. So one last question,hopefully....what is the measurement on your setup from top chain to frame clearance...exactly. I will relocate that bottom frame member over and put @ a 90deg. angle in it to take care of that problem. this will allow for cutting the mid gear casing 1 piece and maybe won't even need to put spacers on the spline like you have done,which will save some steps.....thanks again for your help...chop....not to mention 30-40mm bigger tire...if i run across something..
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X