8000k's chain XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See the difference between 520 and 530

I rigged my drive unit originally with 520, the reason being I didn't have a clue as to what rear wheel setup would fit and using 520 gave a wider choice of make/models to choose from, as quite a few different bikes have the option of a 520 'conversion' sprocket available over the counter. My ZX6R wheel is 525 as standard, and I'm running a 520 'conversion' sprocket on it. As luck has it, a GSXR 530 fits that wheel also, so I'm swapping to 530 front, chain, and rear.

Comment

Dayam...what big teeth you have!

Hey PGGG,

THat's a considerable difference, and with the power that the XS11 can put out, I can see where the 530 is much more desireable!

Are you going to be having some sprockets made at that shop, and if so, could you have an extra one in 530 made, so that I can buy it from you?!
      T.C.

Ps, Chevy might want to get in on this also, and sounds like XSChop might want one, seems like there were several of us looking to do the Chain Drive conversion!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No probs TC I'm getting some 530 sprockets made up soon

Comment

chain conversion...

hey guys, i have been watching you guys' posts so i can do a chain drive conversion as well. i have been carefully studying the middle drive gear to see how i can brace it after it has been chopped the same way it was in the pictures here. it looks like that one was chopped on to much. when you figure out the sprocket deal i will be real interested in the details...
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey xsc I've got 3 spare drive units to experiment on and can get whole new shafts/splines machined too. They reckon they can copy the original easy and reduce or increase some measurements.

Comment

serious question....

can someone here clear up the 12,13,17 tooth thing here.. is the diameter of the
              17T larger and not able to fit through the middle drive shaft opening. Although the pic of the overchopped middle-gear housing is evident, it looks as if the sprocket will fit through the shaft opening.
              know how to modify the housing using all stock parts if the sprocket will fit through the middle-drive shaft opening. Let me know....thanks...xschop
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

By the skin of your Sprocket teeth!

Hey XSChop,

IT's not so much being able to fit the larger sprocket thru the opening of the middle gear housing, besides, with it cut in two, you put the sprocket on the shaft, and then put the housing on AROUND The shaft.

The problem is that there is NOT ENOUGH Clearance with the sprocket and the main engine case halves, it will hit the cases, and unless you build/design some sort of jackshaft system, the 14T IIRC, is the largest size sprocket you can use without modifying the case!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Also got 141mph(once so far) on a sigma speedo with my chain setup, but at 130mph you're hopin' like hell the C-clip on the skimpy 520 chain ain't gonna fling off.

Comment

sprocket

so a sprocket larger than 14t will hit the engine itself? according to the pics,whatever sprocket they used, i can make work without having to cut the middle-drive gear housing in two..chop
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

They don't call them choppers for nothing!

Hey Chop,

Yes, the larger sprockets will hit the engine cases!

Have you seen these other threads?
                      Chain Drive Info thread 1
                      chain drive info thread2

From what I can see, and the research that Pggg has put into this thing, you DO NEED To chop the middle drive gear into 2 halves to allow room for the chain and sprocket!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

chain sprocket

O.K. I can see now what your talking about. So what size sprocket is that in the pics there?
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Don't forget I could of been drunk or something. Maybe it's quite possible to do what chop says.

Comment

chain- sprocket

if you look at the pics. you can see that the sprocket can be moved towards the outer bearing by @ 1/2 inch allowing for the grinding of mostly heat fin alloy, keeping the circular part of the mid-gear wall for structural support for the outer bearing. Thus, no need to cut the mid-gear housing in two. I can even have the upper housing braced from the top by arc-welding some alloy around the sprocket for even more solid support...gotta get to bed here folks. i will keep in touch....xschop
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

More than one way to "chain" a cat!

Hey Chop,

Take a look at this conversion that you may not have seen!?
                              Vipers Mighty Thor XS1500

Here, he didn't cut the middle gear at all, but appears to have mounted the sprocket on the outboard of the shaft beyond the bearing!! My concern with moving the sprocket closer towards the outside of the shaft, but still on the inside, is that you run out of room for the chain path in relation to the frame.

Thor's technique puts the chain on the OUTSIDE of the frame, allowing for a very large rear tire!!

I'm in partial agreement with you that it looks like there should be a way to leave most of the housing intact, like where the chain would run both above and below it. The idea of welding a brace between the partially cut open sections allowing enough clearance for the sprocket and chain is also appealing. I've welded mild aluminum with my simple MIG wire feeder, not easy but doable! I also have access to T-6061 stock aluminum that I can cut/shape. Hmmmmmm

Keep us informed with your findings!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

fat tire

actually t.c. the fat tire on that chopper is hard tailed. As pggg stated, he could have the middle shaft lengthened or cut. I would put money on it that the guy lenthened the shaft and used a spare housing to add on to the existing one. I am wanting to keep the swingarm functional. hey BTW, can someone tell me what the width is of the stock xs11 swingarm, pivot-to-pivot? my bikes are put away and it is 20 deg. F, and snowing right now in okc.blahhhh-humbuggg. Did someone say VFR single sided swingarm?
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X