No announcement yet.

8000k's chain XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you locate the steel plate positively into the aluminum housing, or is it just sandwiched there? How did the paint get rubbed off the plate where it bolts together?

Might need to bore the plate hole and put in a ring the locates to the bearing housing.

In other words the plate might be slipping between the aluminum housing pieces under stress and misaligning the shaft.

Steve
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

That’s pretty dam nifty pggg

If the threaded rods are holding the setup secure then maybe all it really needs is to be “aligned” properly. Out even a few thousandth’s might be enough to cause the spline to wear.

Replacing the inner nut on threaded rod with a “tube” should not be hard, but the “tubes” would have to be near perfect in length or you’d have the same problem. Putting anything between threaded rods (plate or such) runs into same problem, would need to be “machined” to tolerance.

I'd R&R the bearing, reinstall, and check the alignment about 4 times.

mro

Comment

Shoes the plate and housing are bolted together, so no worries on that one. Paint chips from cranking up the nuts tightly. Mro you're right the holes in the plate have gotta be perfectly in line and I know damn well my drill holes have a mis-close of a mm or so spread amongst all 7. It's gotta be a new plate with the holes drilled with a drillpress. Like it should have done in the first place

Comment

Chain Driven

Hope you don't mind pggg
          Copied all the pic's to my hard drive and plan to print them and put in my XS book for future reference.

Have a "pipe dream" project that's nothing but thoughts right now. Need more info like your project

mro

Comment

GNE says throw the bike down the road under hard acceleration... Am switching from 13T and 43T to 14T and 45T, which is about the same taller gearing still, but found out TL1000 sprockets(they fit) only go up to 40T. Lucky a 96-98 GSXR750 fits the 97 ZX6R hub on my bike with up to 46T. 530 pitch. A 98 GSXR600 sprocket fits, but is a 525. A KLR 250 sprocket fits too, but is only in 520 and the stud holes need drilling out a couple mm. 3rd gear with a 38T is a buzz from 30mph to 110mph. A 48T - 50T on the back would be pretty brutal.

Comment

Go for it mro

Comment

.. i got these pics from a dude selling this part on ebay, i didnt get a chance to bid on it for some reason.. there are some clues here to solving your alignment issues, might need to rent a chop saw and a dremel for a day and score another middle drive housing tho..
                .. i also like the sleaves over the bolts trick but they would have to be kind of thick so they would'nt distort when you torqued them down..
                .. this way looks kind of stable but would be better with a couple more support bolts going through a larger end cap[like the aluminum puck]

Comment

Sad to say, that setup won't work as the sprocket has clearance but not the chain. Having a chain is helpful

Comment

Hey PGGG,

IF you look closer at the 2nd and 3rd photo from the end of the series, you can see the cut out along the bottom of the housing, 90 degree cut, which looks like it's to allow the chain path along the bottom portion of the housing, you just can't see the bottom of the drive sprocket in the photos!? IS this what you were talking about somewhere else on the housing?

PS, can I have your 13T sprocket??
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

.. i ask the gent how many teeth the sprocket had and what size it was when i ask for the pics but all he sent were the pics.. maybe one of you could ask him your self, his name here is KJ Shover he seemed nice enough, he might describe how it worked and tell you who made it for him

Comment

That's Frankencycle!

Hey Gnepig,

I did a search in the MEMBER'S FORUM for "Frankencycle", and found a few posts from him including this one about the chain drive conversion:
                        07-14-2004 05:53 PM

KJ Shover

I can't speak for him on if he will do another, but the work was done by Carl Civitello of MadMax Enterprise http://www.madmax.com they mainly specialize in the Vmax he is quite the wizard on that motorcycle. it took a while about 3 years because I was in no hurry and he had several other projects currently going and cost almost $2k

KJ Shover

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

.. that Fat Max looks kinda familiar, looks just like one i seen on ebay not to long ago

Comment

TC, if you look at the 3rd pic, you'll see the sprocket is too close to the long bolt 'tube' left intact. Been there, tried that No room whatsoever for chain clearance at that point. There'll also be chain clearance problems where the chain exits to the rear. That unit is actually non-functional as it is.

That swingarm looks great, BUT, again that swingarm will need to have been designed to precisely fit a pre-determined make and model? rim/hub/axle combination, bearing in mind the left side arm needs to be shaped to clear the rear sprockets' studs and nuts. Also, the left side shock mounts have to be offset to clear a 530 O-ring chain. If the whole swingarm is based on XS11 measurements, it'll be of no use without further mods.

That front sprocket looks to be 530 or possibly 525, and, if left positioned where it is, a part of the bikes rear frame near the footpeg will need to be cut, modified, and re-welded. Of course none of this will work unless the chosen rear wheel has the right rim centerline to rear sprocket measurement. If the swingarm pivot points are proven to be precision machined to fit the XS11 pivot bearings, then it would be worth buying that swingarm based on that feature alone. good as a starting point.

P.S. as we're restricted to smaller than usual front sprockets, the wider 530 pitch would be the better choice. The 520 can 'skip' in 1st gear if the chain is slightly loose. XS11 has serious grunt down there!

Comment

chain drive

hey, what sprocket is that from?
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock
                              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey XSCHop,

It's one that PGGG had a local (NZ) shop machine the inside mounting splines. You can't find a 13/14T sprocket to fit the shaft in that pattern. The 650 sprocket is the right pattern, but only comes in 17/18T size When I'm ready to start cutting mine up and making the conversion, I'll be ordering from the shop that made his!
                                T.C.
                                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                                X