Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - would a new TCI/Igniter for the XS11 be worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the fact is that all of these tci boxs are getting very old (antiques in electronic years.) if someone has the skills to build a ecm unit that meets oem reliability count me in. (at under $200 bucks) if it is programable your efforts will be greatly rewarded. As these are not the only bikes that are getting old and facing the same issues
    one day im gonna ride it

Comment

I found it.

Thumpernow posted pics of his GM HEI conversion. Here:

GM HEI TCI replacement

Comment

Hey Randy,

THanks for digging that back up, I copied it to the TECH TIPS, Mods, Electrical, so it'll be easier to find next time!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

shutchis has a megasquirt running fully adjustable timing (with vaccum) on his bike.

He's working on a website with the write up and pictures.

His system also controls the fuel, but there's no reason a megasquirt couldn't do just the spark.

Going price for a megasquirt is less than 200 bucks + the time it takes for assembly.

Stan's megasquirt is using a GM coilpack and ignition module with the megasquirt sending control signals to adjust the timing curve in realtime.

Stan built a small wheel to replace the yamaha reluctor wheel and some type of replacement pickup (only one is used I think). Stan's bike is an XJ, but there's no reason it couldn't be done to an XS.

Time, money, and skill permitting - I still want to go through and build a standalone timing computer that's cheaper than a megasquirt and easier to hook up.

Dan
          Last edited by mainlylinux; 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM.
          Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Dan,

I posted this a while back so you may have missed it, but i was able to get my hands on the Hitachi patent for electronic adavnce. may be of help. Take a look.

Hitachi advance patent

Comment

Thanks Randy, believe it or not I'm still working on this, albeit slowly.

I'm trying to come up with something practical that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Recently I've been working with a microcontroller kit and book, learning c programming for the AVR microcontroller.

Stan Hutchison has a buddy that's a machinist, and he is supposed to make me a prototype timing wheel (toothed wheel) to go on the end of the crank.

Then I'll either try and meld a GM DIS and a small microcontroller as a brain, or go from scratch and build the whole ignition circuit.

Both methods have their drawbacks...

Needless to say, I've been learning alot, and found that doing something like this isn't as easy at I first thought (Duh!) :-)

Dan
              Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey, Dan, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Comment

What about making a mounting plate for a Dyna S ignition kit? The advance mechanism might need to be modified to fit a magnet, but the Dyna is only $200.
                  2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                  1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Not sure - I've never messed with the Dyna ignition, but it sounds good. Would it work on the late model bikes, the ones with no mechanical advance?

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Comment

The ignition curves are selectable or programmable based on the Dyna product line. The higher end (more$$$) stuff is all programmable. Maybe if I come across some more play money...
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Ignition Systems (TCI)

This may sound a bit simplistic, but my method for solving the scarcity of TCI boxes for my 81 is too simply buy three good spares,enough to wear out my bike several times over.Why try and reinvent the wheel (TCI box) when the stock one works so well even when the motor has been highly modified.It is possible to alter the advance curve in the 81 to get it where it needs to be and still use the stock TCI box.There are other avenues to pursue in ones quest for additional horsepower that produce more positive results than spending an inordinate amount of time creating something that already exist and does the job.Of course there is generally always more than one solution to a problem but when it comes to the XS and lack of parts for it, my solution is to simply have at least two of everything and maybe more if it's electrical or carburetion and hope I have enough.
                        81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Of course, Dan. That is how we end up with a garage full of xs11's as "spare bikes."
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Spares

Originally posted by skids
                            Of course, Dan. That is how we end up with a garage full of xs11's as "spare bikes."
                            As one approches the Autumn of his life, he tends to seek out the simple answers to complicated problems as time is of the escence and can only be wasted by the young.It is true that this approach to the madness of maintaining an XS assures the accumulation of lot's of stuff,but it's the easiest way to do it.Actually I call it my stuff,but the little woman calls it junk S--- and so one persons treasure is another persons junk s--- of which I have a lot.

Comment

Re: Spares

That is the way I look at it also. In fact, I keep complete spares to optimize riding time. If you keep more than one runner, and if one bike is in need or is in progress of repairs, you can wait for that rainy day to finish the job and go ride the ready bike.

Originally posted by Dan Hodges
                              As one approches the Autumn of his life, (snip)
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Spare Runners

Originally posted by skids
                                That is the way I look at it also. In fact, I keep complete spares to optimize riding time. If you keep more than one runner, and if one bike is in need or is in progress of repairs, you can wait for that rainy day to finish the job and go ride the ready bike.

I too have a so called spare runner,my black V-Max which is also getting a bit long in the tooth but despite his age is a runner extraordinaire.Despite their differences,I always thought that they both bore a strong family resemblence.Actually one can never have too many toys as someone once said,he who dies with the most toys win's.And so it shall be.

Comment

Working...
                                X