Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - would a new TCI/Igniter for the XS11 be worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll - would a new TCI/Igniter for the XS11 be worth it?

In a previous thread Steve had mentioned using a Hall effect device to replace the pickup coil in the ignition system (because it would be a nicer signal to a new TCI/Igniter system.

If you were going to use this new Igniter would you be willing to change pull out your old pickup coils and install a hall effect sensor?

Dan
    No, I'll keep the old igniter and if it dies I'll find one off a donor bike
    16.00%
    I'll have my old igniter repaired before I put a newly designed one on
    2.00%
    What's an Igniter?
    6.00%
    Your that bloke who put fuel injection on, you've got electronics on the Brain. Make me some points that's what I'll use.
    0.00%
    I'd like a new igniter design if it was $100 or less, and if it could use my existing wiring, I might consider changing the pickup coil because the wires break off anyway
    20.00%
    I'd like a new igniter design if it was $100 or less, and if it could use my existing wiring, but I don't want to change my pickup coils
    14.00%
    Give me the full monty - new igniter, new hall effect sensor, and make it work with a $43 dollar coil pack off a Ford DIS system so I can change my plug wires!
    20.00%
    I don't know. If you build it, and it dyno's well I'll make up my mind
    22.00%
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

I have spare parts for stock, but I'm looking to upgrade for the "winter project". My problem is like most of us, I don't have a lot of disposable income.
    If you can put together something that works, and keep the price under about $100, I'll probably go that way. If I can switch to different coils with a bigger kick, so much the better.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Poll - would a new TCI/Igniter for the XS11 be worth it?
      Today it's worth about $50.

Tomorrow? When the spare supply dries up? Priceless!

Comment

$50 - $100, is it worth it? Would we notice anything different with our bikes?
        $85 for a Tkat forkbrace and you immediately can tell where your money went.
        Progressive shocks and forksprings, can usually tell a difference.
        I went from stock coils to Dyna coils. My diagnosis led me to the need for new coils and there weren't any on Ebay at that time. I had thought of aftermarket coils so there was a good excuse. Cost me $170 and I feel it was worth it though there seemed to be negligable improvement but I did notice an improvement. As an aside to that, the problem was with the TCI box .
        We now have an alternative voltage regulator that provides voltage at lower RPM. We know it's there and what's happening but does the bike run better?
        Switching to fuel injection. I don't recall any conclusive report on this.
        Switching to a different ignition system. Is there any reason to? Would it be more reliable? Last longer? Be easier to get replacement parts?
        Are we reinventing the wheel or improving it?
        This reminds me of a thread from a year or so ago, to restore these bikes like original or to upgrade trying to keep-up with the new bikes. Like I replied in that post, I see and endorse both sides. My solution was to have 2 XS11's. My E is the one I've done upgrades to. My midnight special I'm trying to keep original. I think of doing this or that to it and I have to remind myself of my goal of keeping it original (for riding comfort I have changed handlebars and added a small fairing. I'm hanging on to the original bars 'just in case').

I would consider the new TCI/igniter on the E just for the hell of it and would buy it for the LG if that was all that was available to keep it running.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thank you for making this poll with multiple votes!!
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

any benefit

Well, for me there would be a few of benefits:

1 - no need to hunt down a used TCI if mine goes bad

2 - revlimiter built into the new TCI design

3 - the ability to change the timing curve of the engine

4 - much hotter spark for easier starts

5 - ease of coil and plug wire replacement

On number 4 I know that I shouldn't need hotter sparks, if my carbs and jetting (or fuel injection) are all dialed in. But even when my XS had carbs it would miss on startup a little bit until she ran for a few minutes.
            Home of ENIAC

Comment

That all sound great.
              I wasn't trying to put-down your efforts. Just playing "devil advocate"
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Dan,

Your project sounds very ambitious and I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Rev limiting and timing curve adjustments were never included in my plans. I was going for a plain vanilla TCI replacement. Should be enough to get you going, though. I'll post it later.

Comment

I knew from the beginning that there would need to be a timing curve for this to be useful for a bike without the advancer like the xj's. Revlimiting doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do.

I was planning on using a small inexpensive microcontroller, a PIC, to do the calculations and trigger the coils.

Dan
                  Home of ENIAC

Comment

That said, I've never programmed a microcontroller.

How hard can it be :-)

Seriously, there's alot on the internet to help with the PIC.

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Comment

Hey Dan,

IT's not just the XJ's that need the timing curve, but the 81XS also needs one, cause it doesn't have a centrifugal advance, only the vacuum /retard unit, the advance is in the TCI, that's why Randy can't replicate it or replace it's PIC! The 78-80's that use both Cent. and vacuum will be the easiest, unless you plan on making only 1 style, and those that are going to install/ upgrade their TCI will then either need to Cap off the vacuum piston, and/or also remove or FREEZE the centrifugal advance parts, so then all they would need to do is ADD/change the Pickup coils, vs. being able to use the OEM's depending on your design!?

Thankfully, I've got a spare TCI for my 81, but if I didn't have it, then I know I'd be looking closely at your project!!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

this should work for the '81 as well.

I haven't looked at how hard it would be to freeze the advancer parts. Could it be as easy as drilling a hole thru the plate with the springs and putting in a tiny bolt to prevent advancing? that type of modification would be reversible.

what type of hardware is in the '81 and the XJ's TCI that control the advance now?

knowing the advance rates and rpm's for the pre 81, 81, and xj's will be helpful as well. Does anybody have those plotted out?

Dan
                        Home of ENIAC

Comment

I'll be looking at how megasquirt 'n spark handles ignition events and try to learn a thing or two.

But I pretty much imagine it might go like this:

1 calculate rpm

2 look up or calculate advance at that rpm

3 based on those two factors, fire the next cylinder x milliseconds after the previous cylinder's pickup coil event.

4 number of milliseconds to fire before reluctor passes the pickup coil threshold is related to the number of crank degree per second that the crank is moving at. Example being if at 5000 rpms the crank moves 20 degrees every 10 milliseconds, and i want to fire @ 20 degrees advanced, I will fire the coil 160 degrees after the previous coil's reluctor event, which would be ~ 80 milliseconds.

I'll try to draw a diagram.

Dan
                          Home of ENIAC

Comment

Here's a basic block diagram:

Home of ENIAC

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                              I went from stock coils to Dyna coils. My diagnosis led me to the need for new coils and there weren't any on Ebay at that time. I had thought of aftermarket coils so there was a good excuse. Cost me $170 and I feel it was worth it though there seemed to be negligable improvement but I did notice an improvement.
                              Don't think I'll ever spend $170 on Dyna coils or Accel coils when I could get coils from Mikes XS http://www.mikesxs.com/mikesxs-elect...ategory_id=2.1 part #17-6803 for $28 apiece or $56 the set...especially since I ohmetered the expensive Accel coil I bought for my XS650 and found it to be the exact same spec as a stock Yamaha coil.
                              Shiny side up,
                              650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                              XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X