No announcement yet.

Stainless Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a section of their web site called “Jigs”, where they list about 50 bikes for which they’re already made jigs, for fabricating the silencers. One of these is the Yamaha XS 650 original cones. My guess is that these bikes and silencers had the highest demand, to justify their own jigs.

So, perhaps if a few XS’ers sent them a multiple order, they would make a jig for the XS11?

Whether this would lower the price is another question. Plus, I think the Specials are slightly different than the Standards?

I’m sure the stainless system looks nice, and for sure it would last, but I’d like to see it close up. I think I prefer the shiny chrome of the original.

The TV guys make “one off” custom exhausts for their choppers all the time, and they are shiny chrome. I wonder if there is a shop somewhere in the States that could fab up a replica of the XS system, and reproduce it at an affordable price?
    Rick
    '80 SG
    '88 FXR
    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Don't some of the high end computer pipe benders have a function where you can put in an exiting pipe, and it will trace it out and be able to dupicate it? Been meaning to check around here to see, but haven't had time.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Yeah, Steve, I was thinking along those lines, too. I'll bet that's what the Brits are doing to make their stainless pipes, because they say they need an existing bike to work from.

There's got to be a Stateside outfit that can do the same thing, in chrome plated steel?
        Rick
        '80 SG
        '88 FXR
        '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Hi All
          I've just had a 4 into 2 sytem made up earlier this year by them for my XJ1100 and it's all made by hand without any computer wizardry. It normally takes 2 days to make a complete system but mine took 2½ because they had problems recreating the slash-cut mufflers on the XJ11.
          They're certainly good at what they do and are willing to listen and explain what they're doing.

I've posted a photo of the system here. I hope this is of some help.

Keep revving
          Last edited by Mike F; 01-11-2006, 11:42 PM.
          Mike Farnworth
          XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

.. thats realy a nice bike, Mike.. did they put in the cross over pipe from one muffler to the other on yours also?

Comment

Hi Gnepig

Yes, they did and they used silicone sealer for all the joints. (Good tip) They're push fit and so are easy to take apart but don't leak when in place.

Keep revving
              Mike Farnworth

Comment

cost

you live near them then? what did that system set you back? And by the way yes that is a very nice ride you have there...i'm jealous
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

No, I don't live near them - wish I did. I'm near Stonehenge and Gazelle are based in South West Wales (about 220 miles away)

The system cost me £600 to get made up and yes I know that you could buy a complete bike for that but we're not that lucky over here. Everything costs an arm and a leg! Even if we buy stuff from the States, we get stung for import duty, VAT and the Post Office's cut and suddenly, things don't seem that cheap anymore
                  Mike Farnworth

Comment

Working...
                  X