No announcement yet.

Wanna Swap Shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? Now I have to wonder what the &%#@ kind of motor I have on my bike??? Did XJ make a non-YICS motor?
    So you think I should use the jugs AND the head from the other motor? Would you hone and re-ring it?? Just hone it? Still re-do the head? Lap and grind and new valve seals?
    Sorry so many questions.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Trbg, just clean up the XJ head with a brass wirewheel on a drill, then slap it on your original motor. Assuming your motor was fine before all this - compression etc.. Your original head must be 78/79 eh? 30mm & 35mm valves? What's the engine block number? What model carbs?

Comment

The only numbers I see on the jugs is stamped 2H-700 Y-1, Back on the case it says 2H7-001279.

All I can find on the carbs is Mikuni KOGYO... and on the butterflies it has a 135 stamped on them????
        So the tube would leave holes open to draw unfiltered air into the intake.... plug these off with something?
        A little disappointed with the guy that sold me this. Said it was all original and miles were genuine. Sigh..

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Hey Tod,

Wow, those photos cleared up everything!!! Check your frame number, and your engine case numbers. IF your bike IS an XJ1100, then the frame number should start with 10M-xxxxx.

Your engine is apparently an earlier model XS, and if it has smaller sized valves, then it's the earlier model 78-79 engine! So....it looks like somebody did do an engine swap on your ?XJ?.

So....the second engine you got IS a real XJ1100 engine, hence the YICS porting in the jugs and head. You'll just need to plug up those 4 holes on the bottom of the head proximal to the intake manifolds. You'll need to remove those 2 studs, and possibly plug the remaining holes also, IF they also flow into the YICS ports!? Aside, from that, you should be good to go! How about a couple of photos of the SIDE of your engine, showing the crankshaft covers. Also, a wide shot of the bike so we can see the frame/seat/forks to further help discern that it's at least an XJ frame!?

Don't feel too badly, the early engine has a HIGHER compression ratio....or at least it did/does with the OEM head and cams, not sure what you'll get with the XJ head mounted on the XS jugs!?
          IF your original cams are in good shape, you may want to put them into your XJ head, with the larger valves, those cams are supposed to give you a little better power!! Couldn't hurt!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wow.
            Thanks guys. That's the first good news I have heard in a few days now... lol. Don't mind the messy garage, but here's a few pictures of the dirty beast.

I don't know where to find the numbers on the frame, but the registration says XJ.
            What about the carbs? Are these what came with them? I have another bank of carbs that are off of an XS (Manual slide choke bar). I don't know what I am looking for, but the butterflies on them say 135 also?
            The original cams are better shape, so I will use them. What about that "Lifter". The one that looks a little buffed on the side. Should I replace it with a prettier one, or just leave it with the one that's in it? Again, thanks for all your help guys.

Tod

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Messy garage?

Looks clean to me!
              Serial number is on the steering head, between the fork clamps, right side. Number is stamped into the frame... might have a data sheet decal on the left side.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

JYA10M**** Made 10/81

Wanna ask SWMBO's opinion of the garage?? lol.

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

10M... '82XJ

Nice about being divorced... The only opinion is mine. And if I want to sit on the toilet and flick ashes in the bathtub before my shower, I can do that, too!

Comment

Just a side-note for pro.... I grew up in Washington... Graham. Graduated Bethel High. Took some of my senior pics by the waterfall in that little park by the brewery there in Oly.
                    Anyway... WHat is something you would use to block the holes in the YICS tube? I want it to not come out, but not be so permanent that it can't be removed and the YICS be used at a later date. Thought about some RTV, but thought that might dry out or vibrate loose over time and maybe get injested. Suggestions??

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Not being familiar with the your head, (nice bone structure, though), what holds the pipes in? Or more correctly, what goes in the holes? Is it just a tube sealed with an O ring? Would it be possable to tap the holes and then thread in a coupla machine screws? I don't know what they're called.... the ones that look like threaded plugs, and have a hex hole for an allen wrench.

Comment

The holes on the head mount up directly to a "tube" that is machined into the backside of the XJ motor.

The head gasket for the XJ is built differently to accomodate these holes, and the extra 2 studs help keep them sealed.
                        Up inside these holes on the head side, there is an orifice (hole) that connects directly to the intake port in front of the valve (At least that's where it looks like to me..??)

That's not a bad idea, to go ahead and tap it... just don't have a tapper. I will go pick one up if no one can think of a better idea. 1/2 way afraid of having it mess with the machined edge that the head gasket would ride on. I know what you are talking about with the screws... just don't know the official name of them either.
                        Still no comments on the bucket question?? Can you swap these, or are they a matched set with the valve and spring after they have run a while?

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Sorry about the missing pictures above. I was getting a bunch in phtobucket.com and started deleting a few.. DOH!! Forgot that this is just a link in here.
                          Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

So, trbig (or anyone), how DO you get the pictures to appear in your post?

Nice pics, by the way.
                            Rick
                            '80 SG
                            '88 FXR
                            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Alen head screws

from prom

don't know what they're called.... the ones that look like threaded plugs, and have a hex hole for an allen wrench.
                              from trbig

I know what you are talking about with the screws... just don't know the official name of them either.

Comment

It's posted in here somewhere, but long story short... they don't store the pictures in here. I went to Photobucket.com. (There are others) After an easy, free registration, you upload a pic from your computer into your "Album" on photobucket. When your pic shows in photobucket, it will give you URL address... basically your own little website for THAT pic. When you are posting on here and you get to a spot you want to put that picture, copy the URL address from photobucket for your pic, come back in here to your post, and click on the little button that says "IMG". It will bring up a small box. Just right click in that address box and paste the address from photobucket of your pic. It will show your picture in here after you submit it... but it is only just a link. If you delete that picture from your album in photobucket, it kills the pic here too. (Found that out already)

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X