Xs750 rear wheel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LoftCol
    Truly XSive
    • Jul 2025
    • 108
    • UK

    #1

    Xs750 rear wheel

    Good morning


    This looks like a good deal to me, however the seller cannot be 100% certain it is from a xs750. It looks like a Yamaha rear wheel. Is the consensus that this 18" wheel fits the SF frame, if so what would be the widest tyre it would take?

    Thanks as ever .

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326354564...222804&segname
  • Socer4m
    XStremely XSive
    • Sep 2020
    • 299
    • san diego

    #2
    Howdy LoftCOL,,,,,,years ago I had a 81 xs1100 midnight special with the xs750 rim, 18 inch, and it fit fine. ONly issue was the tire was very tight just spinning without rubbing. I wish I could dig up that post, but it was from the old site,,,tons of info on exactly your issue. Anyway,,,bike ride fine, speedo was off around ten percent because of the oversize rim,,,better for highway travelling. I faintly remember the spokes were straight not swirly, wierd thing is in England the spokes were swirly after a member chimed in from there. I put a size larger than suggested for the rim and it fit fine. You can look up the size and width, most important to see what fits your frame, and compare with the specs for the factory issue rim width......bike tire specs usually listed online in the sites selling them,,,,good luck, Cheers, Mike in S.DIego and PA.

    Comment

    • DiverRay
      Moderator
      • Nov 2004
      • 7834
      • Star, IDAHO

      #3
      The spacing for the brake rotor will be the big thing, but an easy fix. You may need to change some of the spacers on the axle as well, but again not rocket science. The speedo being off is NOT from the rear tire, as the speedo drive is on the front tire.
      Tire size is not a problem unless you are trying to lower the rear end with shorter shocks. The 18 inch rim will not take a tire as wide as the 16 inch factory rim.
      Last edited by DiverRay; 10-02-2026, 07:28 AM.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

      Comment

      • bikerphil
        Master of XSology
        • Jan 2008
        • 8932
        • South Flori-DUH

        #4
        Mike, this may be the thread from the old site you were referring to...

        Last edited by bikerphil; 10-02-2026, 02:36 PM.
        2H7 (79) owned since '89
        3H3 owned since '06

        07 Triumph Tiger 1050 (night rider)

        "If it ain't broke, modify it"

        ☮

        Comment

        • Bonz
          XS-XJ Super Guru
          • Apr 2008
          • 3356
          • Palmer Lake, Colorado

          #5
          Mike, speedo wouldn't be off with a larger rear rim. That would affect the tachometer. And yes better for Highway riding, lowering the rpm.
          Howard

          2001 ZRX 1200
          1982 Seca 750
          1983 Nighthawk 550

          Comment

          • Socer4m
            XStremely XSive
            • Sep 2020
            • 299
            • san diego

            #6
            BikerPhil,,,,yes that is the old thread,,,the revs drop as the rear tire diameter is larger, and noticable at highway speeds, like a 6th gear overdrive,,,I never switched back to a stock rim so spacer, disc,,etc changes were unknown,,,but the drop in revs was VERY NICE on the highway,,,these bikes have more than enough power for the rev drop. HOW did you get the old thread?? I tried on the current search site and was unable,,,keep us informed, thanks for the info Ray, Bonz, ride on ,,,Mike in S.DIego and Pa.

            Comment

            • LoftCol
              Truly XSive
              • Jul 2025
              • 108
              • UK

              #7
              Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will buy it and add it to the winter jobs.

              Comment

              • bikerphil
                Master of XSology
                • Jan 2008
                • 8932
                • South Flori-DUH

                #8
                HOW did you get the old thread?
                Mike, I did an advanced search on this site using the key words "rear wheel" and your old handle (soccer4m) and there it was. A lot of older threads were brought over here from dot com.
                Last edited by bikerphil; 10-03-2026, 05:23 AM.
                2H7 (79) owned since '89
                3H3 owned since '06

                07 Triumph Tiger 1050 (night rider)

                "If it ain't broke, modify it"

                ☮

                Comment

                • Socer4m
                  XStremely XSive
                  • Sep 2020
                  • 299
                  • san diego

                  #9
                  Thanks Phil,,,,,thumbs up on the search ability, I will try that on the next search,,,that one had a lot of info on the xs 750,850 rear rim.... Mike in S.Diego and Pa.

                  Comment

                  • LoftCol
                    Truly XSive
                    • Jul 2025
                    • 108
                    • UK

                    #10
                    Thanks everyone for the advice, I have decided to stick with the 16" rear wheel for now, perhaps if the traffic in the UK gets a bit lighter, I may look at it again

                    Comment

                    • DiverRay
                      Moderator
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 7834
                      • Star, IDAHO

                      #11
                      Going to the 17" from the US "Standard" model will also take about 200rpm off the cruise speed. If you have a rim laying around, you only need the wheel spacer from the standard to line up the brake disk. The other option is washers under the disk, one per bolt, to line it up. And yes, I've done that trick for Special Ed when he was able to ride a few years ago.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

                      Comment

                      Working...