No announcement yet.

Carb Float Hinge Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I did and the repair seems ok Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3970.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	881886 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3971.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	881887
    Last edited by Mjpcarbon; 10-10-2024, 05:17 PM.

Comment

When I purchased the bike someone had their hands in it and wired the pin. My repair is 0-80 allen bolt
      Last edited by Mjpcarbon; 10-10-2024, 05:17 PM.

Comment

GREAT REPAIR Mjpcarbon,,,,it looks like Yamaha should have done that from the factory and it would have made it sooooo much easier when repairing the carbs and eliminate the dreaded broken post syndrome. If both ends of the post were like your repair from the factory, many a carb would still be good today. Thanks for the pics,,,,ride on, Mike in San DIego and Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjpcarbon View Post
          When I purchased the bike someone had their hands in it and wired the pin. My repair is great 0-80 allen bolt
          I'm sure it'll outlive the bike but I'm always leery of threads in aluminum, especially when they get that small. If I was gonna do a bolt I would take the post off below where he drilled the wire hole, then do what you did with a larger bolt threadlocked in and a hole drilled perpendicularly through the bolt.

Here's a handy chart for the curious, it mentions you should use a smaller drill in aluminum and gives ranges for the drill bits. Most drill/tap charts are for 75% threads, but you want like 85-90% in aluminum. A 0-80 thread has .006" thread height, so every little bit counts.

https://www.stanleyengineeredfasteni...ld-Forming.pdf

Comment

Certainly better than what I did,

Last edited by Mjpcarbon; 10-10-2024, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Didn't mean anything by it, plenty of ways to skin a cat

Comment

No worries, good rule of thumb for me, better to read and ask rather than participate

Comment

I feel you my guy, I'm ****ting myself thinking I've gotta take this thing on the road after doing all this myself. This is my first time opening a carb lmao I've barely touched a thing without posting somewhere, reading in my book, googling something, or some combination thereof...

Comment

Working...
                  X