Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any benefit to putting the stock airbox back on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any benefit to putting the stock airbox back on?

Recently picked up a '78. It runs great over about 3000 RPM, but stumbles at idle and low speeds. I've got new plugs, waiting for my replacement carb boots to arrive. When I replace the boots, I'll clean the carbs since they're coming off anyway. I'm not mechanically inclined, but told this is easy with the manual and videos available. Anyway - a couple questions. First - the bike currently has individual air filters; would there be any benefit to going back to the stock airbox? Seems like this will make carb removal more difficult in the future, but will it ease anything else, like getting the carbs dialed in? Second question: Like I said, this'll be my first time dealing with the carbs myself - so, any tips for synchronizing them? From my limited knowledge, it seems like cleaning 'em's no big deal, but getting them synced might be more difficult. Thanks for any insights - y'all have been really helpful.

Stock airbox looks good, and works well. If your bike does not have one, but is running "pods", don't worry too much. The ONLY thing you need to verify is that the pod filters do NOT block ANY ports on the filter side of the carbs. Some of the pods will not work on the BS carbs because of a lip on the filter. Do a search in the carb repair threads and you should be able to find what I'm talking about.
    Once you are ready to sync the carbs, you WILL need some proper tools. I have a set of four gauges to set the carbs with, and it helps a lot. If you can't/don't want to spend the money on the set, you can do a sync with a single gauge, but it will take most of the day. To get the most out of the bike, and I'm talking smooth running, easy start, and good throttle response you WILL need to have the carbs synced. Again, not hard but you need to go one step at a time. If there is a shop owned by an older guy near you, he may be able to get you dialed in the start, and you can then slowly purchase the tools needed for doing things yourself.
    If you post your location, there may also be someone close by who can help you with the tuning.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Like Ray said, don't block these holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l960 (2l).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	879400

Comment

Yes. Better low end. Took my pods off not long after I installed them years ago.
        Jeff Korn
        Original Owner 79XS1100 E
        Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

You can get the same low end by putting the pods on the stock velocity stacks from the airbox.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Pods will save you time taking the carbs off and putting them back on. They get a bad rap but I never had an issue with them.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

If it were my bike and I had an airbox, I would put it on. It will be easier to tune. Once you learn the process, removing and installing the carburetors with the airbox on is a simple process. AND, what Ray said.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

....and if you do eveything else as it should be done, you don't need to take off the airbox or the carbs for more than 10 years.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Until reality kicks in-I never intended to let my bike sit-got injured and tore my right rotator cuff Cant ride a bike when you cant raise your arm. Nothing having anyone around to do work then the bike sits, and carbs gum up. In a perfect world I would ride the bike more often but cant. I know too many people got injured and sold their bikes cheap because they couldnt ride.
                  Last edited by oldyam80sg; 04-29-2024, 08:26 PM. Reason: added content
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Anything on the bike that is not stock just requires extra work. The airbox was designed for the bike and obviously makes the bike easier to tune. I am the ultimate purest because all I own are Midnight Specials. Like Mike said you shouldn't have any reason to pull it again if you keep the bike running and store it properly when not riding it. I understand what Pete said. Life always seems to alter the best laid plans.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

I know some of you won't want to hear this. If you shorten the snorkel on the airbox and get rid of the center mounting bracket, the box can be pretty easily removed before the carbs, making the process a bit easier, lower half first, then upper.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

FWIW I have had my Carbs on and off the bike many times... stock airbox. I never had any real issues to be honest.

Comment

Either way runs fine as long as the carbs are set up properly. However, I will say it's nice to keep a rare old bike stock. As the years go on more and more stock bikes will be ruined by being chopped. More air boxes will go into the dumpster. More frames cut. More bad modifications. The stock bikes will remain as being the most desirable long after we are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post
                            FWIW I have had my Carbs on and off the bike many times... stock airbox. I never had any real issues to be honest.
                            Agreed. I think the big variable is what sort of condition (pliability) the airbox boots have. If you have nice compliant boots (as I am also lucky to have) then the airbox is not a big deal at all to deal with. It stays in the bike when I pull carbs, I just pull it backwards as far as it will go and wiggle the carbs past. I can have my carbs off the bike in about 5 minutes, back on in about 10.
                            Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, XS500C
                            Other bikes: 2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post

I can have my carbs off the bike in about 5 minutes, back on in about 10.
                              Experience is the key! It can be a daunting task the first time, you don't think twice about it the fifth time.

1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X