XS11 carb fuel T’s replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 carb fuel T’s replacement

I think it’s finally time to replace the fuel supply T’s on my carbs. I’ve dismantled the carbs multiple times, but I’ve never separated them from the rail. Seems a bit doubting what with the linkage between them and all.

I’d appreciate any words of wisdom before I tackle this issue. Both taking them apart and then back together.

I’m thinking I only need to remove carbs one and four from the rail.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

There's nothing tricky about putting them back together, especially compared to V4 carbs.

There is just the spring loaded tabs on the butterfly shaft, and the choke rod. Just make sure you capture the two little springs and two little ball bearings balls when you remove the choke rod.

You should expect to have difficulty getting the big screws out of the rail. You can use vice grips on the perimeter of the screws, and then go the hardware srore and replace them with nice stainless steel screws.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks Mike.

what about the carb synch screws? Would be nice to have them back to almost the same as before.
      Jeff Korn
      Original Owner 79XS1100 E
      Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Most of the parts can be found, if you need them. Take the carbs apart one at a time, and keep all the parts to the carb together. DO NOT mix part! I would buy the new seals for the throttle rods and replace them while you have things apart. It's a pain, but worth it with how many years are on the rubber that is in there now. Hard part about it is the throttle plate screws, as they are split so they can't back out. You can use a dremel with a cut off disk to get most of the split part of the screw removed before trying to pull them.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The carb sync screws won't be disturbed at all when separating the carb bank.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

^^ + Yes, sync screws don't need to be turned for disassembly/assembly. The sync tabs are held in place by a spring against the adjustment screw.

If you are worried about changing the idle mixture screws, you can count the turn to lightly seat them, then put them back to the same number of turns after cleaning.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
            X