Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 140/90-17 rear work on a standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 140/90-17 rear work on a standard?

I'm kind of in a pickle. Was headed north on I-75 near Valdosta, GA yesterday and my rear tire blew out sending me down at about 40-50mph. Took a good hit but checked out OK at the hospital. It's going to take a week to get a 130/90-17 shipped here but a local shop does have a 140/90-17 in stock. Is there any way this could work? Could it be ground, filed etc to fit? Yeah, it's a kooky idea but I'm kind of out of options at this point!
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

" I believe if you could actually get a 150 wide tire in there"

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...e-size-options

"The 140/90/16 will go on there but the sidewall will rub in the corners on the left side".
    80 G

Comment

It should fit as long as it does NOT have reaised lettering. If it does rub on the shaft side of the swing arm, you can use 60 grit sandpaper to take off a little of the rubber. And yes, I have done it on a few of my XS1100's.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        It should fit as long as it does NOT have reaised lettering. If it does rub on the shaft side of the swing arm, you can use 60 grit sandpaper to take off a little of the rubber. And yes, I have done it on a few of my XS1100's.
        Thanks! I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. Not sure what kind of tire he has on hand only that he has it on the shelf at his shop and at a reasonable price. I'm not going to wait until next Monday for a $185 Dunlop 404, I can darn near get a Michelin Classic for that price.
        1980 XS1100G

Comment

I don't know how much difference there is between the standard and special tire clearances but If this helps:
          I had the tire pictured (140-90-16) on a midnight special which normally has the 130-90-16 on the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	widerbacktiresize.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	878854
          Bob's Bikes:
          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
          "
          Project XS11"
          "Rucksack Grunt"
          "Small Unit Leadership"
          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
          For Sale Here.

Comment

Glad you are OK. Must have been wearing the proper gear.

Sure you don't wanna rest for a couple of days?
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
              Glad you are OK. Must have been wearing the proper gear.

Sure you don't wanna rest for a couple of days?
              Was wearing a Tourmaster mesh jacket with CE level 2 padding, Carhartt B01 double front canvas pants, leather work boots, leather engineer style work gloves and a 3/4 helmet.

Since it was about 50 degrees when I pulled up my camp I was wearing a fleece shirt under the jacket, how do you manage to scrape your elbow and forearm with that on? Same with my knee, there's a small abrasion on the pants and a scrape the size of a nickel on my knee.

As to resting, motel rooms cost money. So did having the bike and trailer hauled out ($200) I've often been accused of being a cheap b@$+@£∆ but then again, how do you afford this lifestyle on a working mans pension? As to the physical aspects I'm quite well built and still hike up to 20 miles a day from time to time. Iggy Pop ain't got much on me!

​​​​
              Last edited by LAB3; 04-10-2024, 03:01 AM.
              1980 XS1100G

Comment

Update: Somehow I knew there was in issue and after installation it became apparent why! The problem isn't the width of the tire clearing the swingarm it's the width of the rim that's a problem. The owner of the shop said "Those are the same model tires I use on my ST1300" and after spooning it on the bike felt like it was running on a flat tire, didn't dare go more than 20mph on it.

Made the long and wobbly trip to his shop so he could see it for himself and he agreed, the rim was too narrow for that tire which is a 140/70-17. The geometry of the lower profile sidewall tire gets tweaked. He ordered up a Dunlop 404 (he's a dealer) and set me up with a place to camp until Monday when it gets here. Can't ask for better service than that!
                Last edited by LAB3; 04-13-2024, 03:40 AM.
                1980 XS1100G

Comment

Working...
                X