80 XS1100 ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 XS1100 ignition

Recently bought a 82 XJ1100 pickup plate, rotor and TCI with hopes of trying to replace the ignition on my 80 XS1100 and do away with the flexing pickup coils wires.

According to the specs that I found the XJ1100 ignition coils should check out at 2.5 ohms of resistance on the primary side with a 10% variance being acceptable. The XS coils are 1.5 ohm so needless to say they won't work with the XJ setup.

My question is, where do I get 2.5 ohm coils other than finding used XJ coils? Will 3 ohm coils work? I'd like to use Honda CB750 coils or something similar so I can swap out the HT leads when needed. Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

Did you still have the ballast resistor installed when you measured resistance? A 3 ohm coil should work in place of a 2.5. The circuit would actually run cooler. You would not want to drop resistance as that could burn the circuit because it's closer to ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1167.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	878202

Comment

Originally posted by Efesdark View Post
      Recently bought a 82 XJ1100 pickup plate, rotor and TCI with hopes of trying to replace the ignition on my 80 XS1100 and do away with the flexing pickup coils wires.

According to the specs that I found the XJ1100 ignition coils should check out at 2.5 ohms of resistance on the primary side with a 10% variance being acceptable. The XS coils are 1.5 ohm so needless to say they won't work with the XJ setup.

My question is, where do I get 2.5 ohm coils other than finding used XJ coils? Will 3 ohm coils work? I'd like to use Honda CB750 coils or something similar so I can swap out the HT leads when needed. Any guidance on this would be appreciated!
      So, why did you copy/paste one of my posts from the XJ site as YOUR first post?
      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Eliminating the ballast resistor (on a 1978).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1165.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	878205

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
          Did you still have the ballast resistor installed when you measured resistance? A 3 ohm coil should work in place of a 2.5. The circuit would actually run cooler. You would not want to drop resistance as that could burn the circuit because it's closer to ground.
          As mentioned, this was a cut/paste job of one of my posts on an XJ forum. I've got a set of 3ohm Honda 750 coils on my XS right now, still have yet to attempt the rest of it.
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yep, as mentioned, 3 ohm coils will be fine, just bypass your ballast resistor.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X