No announcement yet.

XS1100… Need helping IDing specific model/year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would advise you to clean the carbs and re-install. This forum is loaded with tips on how this is done.

Since your bike has been modified, the best way for us to help you would be many more close-up clear photos in key areas.

Looking closer at what you have posted so far, it looks like the handlebar controls are Shovelhead era Harley Davidson. It also looks like there are clear long black wire harnesses. The right hand control would have a rocker switch for ignition on/off. Under the rocker switch would be two small black push-in momentary buttons. One would be start, the other would be signal right. This all depends on the builder and how he chose to wire it.

The item circled is the main fuse. 30A as Ray stated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4995.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	877487 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shovel control right.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	877488

Comment

This is the starter relay and it normally resides on the right hand side of the bike under the right side cover next to the fuses. In a pinch, you can take a cheap screw driver (not a nice one because it will leave weld marks) and cross the two terminals briefly to activate the starter. I would not do this until you have the carbs and engine oil corrected. It has also been mentioned that a small amount of thin oil (shot-glass) be poured into each cylinder by removing the spark plug (and then re-installing them) and let it sit like that for a few weeks while you work on the carbs. This will hopefully loosen any frozen rings on the piston. I have had good results with Marvel Mystery oil.

Name:	DSCN0802A.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	877490

Comment

This is the oil I use to un-glue cylinders of a bike that has been sitting for years.

Name:	71B0yT-59bL.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	877494

Comment

Outstanding instructional videos in the link below.

(111) Steptoexs11 - YouTube
          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 01-23-2024, 04:44 PM.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
            This is the oil I use to un-glue cylinders of a bike that has been sitting for years.

Name:	71B0yT-59bL.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	877494
            Love this stuff. I use it in my gas tank. I add just a small amount to every other tank full. You can also add a small amount to your oil. It has worked for me and I have been doing that for years now. It actually quiets down the cams against the valves when running.

Antwan, Do the basic things as suggested first to prove the viability of the bike before throwing a lot of money at it. You said you were going to buy a battery. You obviously need a good battery in the long run but you can get the bike running by jumping a good car battery to it. As Deebs has pointed out it looks like you have some kind of a wiring loom running up each side of your handle bars. One side or the other has to have some kind of a starter button. Every bike I have ever owned was on the right side. Of course you will need to have the ignition switch figured out too to get the circuit complete in order for the bike to start.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

The bike originally had a momentary button actuated by your right thumb.

We have no way of knowing what's on there now.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The two wires that were hooked up to the ignition🧐
                interesting!

Comment

I’ll get photos of the handlebar setup, soon.
                  thanks all

Comment

Working...
                  X