XS1100… Need helping IDing specific model/year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Yes the older models did have a shaft protruding and had a handle stored on the bike. If we are correct about your engine being a 1980LG it did not have the kick starter gear and they plugged the clutch cover basket like you have. Try to take close up pictures of the carbs. I am really curious to see what kind of caliper is mounted on the front right side.
    sounds good - I’ll post those ASAP. Thank you!

Comment

See attached photos. Thanks everyone so much!

Comment

Originally posted by antwan26 View Post
        It started off life as an LG - Midnight Special.

Comment

Originally posted by EvelKeevil View Post

It started off life as an LG - Midnight Special.
          Can you tell what parts are/aren’t original? Carbs.. ect. Anxious to order parts. Is the midnight better then the standard?

Comment

Originally posted by antwan26 View Post
            The serial numbers match and for sure the bike is a 1980 LG model. The carbs are not original. Seems you don't have a front brake caliper either. You do have a rear brake pedal, so I am assuming the oem rear brake system is still in place. The question is what is the lever and front master cylinder controlling? Like was mentioned previously, it will be difficult to order parts until you definitively know what you have. Maybe someone will recognize or identify parts with the new pictures. To answer your question concerning the midnight versus standard, I would say that question is an objective one. I for instance have never owned a standard and always liked the look of the specials of which the midnights are one of the specials. Some will argue the standard is faster. I have no reference point to verify that claim or not. I will say the bike you have was only made in 1980. There is also a 1981LH model Midnight Special and it shares a lot with the 1980 model, but much was changed between the two years. You need to decide for yourself how much money you want to put into the bike and what you want it to ultimately be. I am a purist; and my goal would be to bring it back to its original specs. Availability of parts is the problem. They are getting scarcer to find and when you do find them they generally sell at a premium.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

The serial numbers match and for sure the bike is a 1980 LG model. The carbs are not original. Seems you don't have a front brake caliper either. You do have a rear brake pedal, so I am assuming the oem rear brake system is still in place. The question is what is the lever and front master cylinder controlling? Like was mentioned previously, it will be difficult to order parts until you definitively know what you have. Maybe someone will recognize or identify parts with the new pictures. To answer your question concerning the midnight versus standard, I would say that question is an objective one. I for instance have never owned a standard and always liked the look of the specials of which the midnights are one of the specials. Some will argue the standard is faster. I have no reference point to verify that claim or not. I will say the bike you have was only made in 1980. There is also a 1981LH model Midnight Special and it shares a lot with the 1980 model, but much was changed between the two years. You need to decide for yourself how much money you want to put into the bike and what you want it to ultimately be. I am a purist; and my goal would be to bring it back to its original specs. Availability of parts is the problem. They are getting scarcer to find and when you do find them they generally sell at a premium.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the feedback. I’m all seriousness, I just want to get it on the road - I am by not a purist and would happily order aftermarket / non OEM parts to get it running again. I’ll probably do a deep dive of the bike and see what all Is there/isn’t there and make the determination on wether or not to fix it. I know that it rolls in neutral, fluids appear to be clean. Hopefully it isn’t a dumpster fire when I open it all up. Thanks again

Comment

I would ditch the forks, even if you can figure a way to mount a left caliper on there, that still won't be enough stopping power for that heavy bike.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  I would ditch the forks, even if you can figure a way to mount a left caliper on there, that still won't be enough stopping power for that heavy bike.
                  I’d like to get it running first - then go from there. Does anyone know what’s the process of turning over the bike? I know I’ll need a new battery - but does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Not knowing what condition it's in I'd go this way.
                    1. Can you turn the engine over with a wrench on the timing plate with the spark plugs removed. Yes, continue, no, junk.
                    2. Put about 2 ounces of oil in each plug hole and let it set overnight.
                    3. Pull Valve cover and check for movement with all valves. Check clearance while cover is off if valves look good.
                    4. If things are good to this point you can start thinking about carb rebuild and battery.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Slap a front end on the bike and put some miles on it. Here is a Special front end to bring the bike back to stock. Cheap. To bring that Midnight back to original stock would be economically unfeasible based on what is missing from your bike. However, you could find a piece here and there over the next ten years to make it a show winner if you choose. In the mean time - Slap a front end on it and ride it. You will lose interest if you do not fall in love by riding the motorcycle. I can attest to that. P.S.-Many, many front end parts cheap for that bike (non Midnight/stock Special) on eBay. It looks like you will need a rear fender & tail light as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40472513817...Bk9SR8iJnJKiYw

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l960 (4).jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	877172 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l960 (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	877173
                      Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-16-2024, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Top clamp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31470755918...Bk9SR9LLhZOiYw

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	877175

Comment

One last bit of advice. Paint your stock Special parts black. Now it's a Midnight.

Comment

This is an indication of the skill level of the previous owner. Hackmaster.

Name:	image_5029.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	877183

Comment

Side cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20460635910...Bk9SR4jujpeiYw

Name:	s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	877187
                              Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-16-2024, 02:49 AM.

Comment

NOS rear fender

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33404259721...Bk9SR8iqspeiYw

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	877189

Comment

Working...
                                X