Carb renewal kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb renewal kits

1980 XS11, barn find. Taking my time on an overhaul. Finally got the carb bank off the other day (no thanks to you, Mr. airbox) and, courtesy of seven years of sitting, the carbs are an awful mess.

I've noticed that eBay sells carb renewal kits for around twenty bucks, and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and risk the twenty on something of dubious quality. Also, I've read here that Yamaha used various carb set-ups for the first few years of these bikes, and so I'm not sure if I'd even be able to order the correct one.

Thanks, folks.

If or when you get the float bowls off take a few pictures of what you are working on for us. I looked at your bike from your previous post and could not really see enough of the carb to say what year model carbs you have. pictures with the carbs inverted showing the floats and jets helps all of us identify what you have so we can provide the right answers you are seeking. I will say this though, be careful of those kits for 20 dollars. Very little in them are what we would deem usable parts. Stick with genuine Mikuni parts. Check out JetsRus if you need to replace jets. Carburetor jets, parts and tuning items - Jets R Us.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

The kits DO work for new gaskets and seals, just DO NOT use any of the "jets" in the kit. Clean all your old jets and they should be fine. Jets are the #1 problem with the kits, so replace with Mikuni ONLY if you need new jets.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Do not buy Chinese junk carb kits. Find genuine parts or your bike will run like crap.

Comment

The only things you need to replace are the float bowl gasket and the float needle and seat oring, if it's an 80 carb. Pics will identify that.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I would buy some Berrymans carb cleaner in the 1 gallon pail to clean the jets and other parts except the o rings and of course the float bowl gaskets.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
              I would buy some Berrymans carb cleaner in the 1 gallon pail to clean the jets and other parts except the o rings and of course the float bowl gaskets.
              The 1 gallon pail is safe on rubber parts. I use it all the time and leave parts soaking for days with no harm. Amazon.com: Berryman 0996-ARM B-9 Chem Dip Parts Cleaner with Basket and Armlock, 3/4-Gallon Pail : Automotive
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

I think maybe regular Berrymans not the professional grade cleaner. I prefer not to dip rubber in parts cleaner.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

As before, I'm grateful for the suggestions and offers of help. Here is the pic of my carb bank at the moment.

I should also mention that about half of the sixteen bolts holding on the float bowls are boogered, and same with the bolts for the diaphragm covers. I'm assuming that these can be had easily enough at a good hardware store. The slides are frozen solid on three out of four, and are currently soaking in PB Blaster.

We've got warm weather coming up soon, so I'll be spending more time out in the garage working on these.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DaleE; 12-22-2023, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleE View Post
                    As before, I'm grateful for the suggestions and offers of help. Here is the pic of my carb bank at the moment.

I should also mention that about half of the sixteen bolts holding on the float bowls are boogered, and same with the bolts for the diaphragm covers. I'm assuming that these can be had easily enough at a good hardware store. The slides are frozen solid on three out of four, and are currently soaking in PB Blaster.

We've got warm weather coming up soon, so I'll be spending more time out in the garage working on these.
                    The carbs you have are the later 1980 carbs. When you source parts make sure you are getting parts for that year model. You can do your searches for the 1980 SG model. The reason those screws are probably messed up is because someone probably tried to remove them using regular Phillips head screwdrivers. If you are going to work on the bike you should go ahead and invest in a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. They fit those screws perfectly. Another good tool to have handy is an impact driver. Again get one with the correct size bits. The replacement screws can be found at ACE hardware or Lowes. If Lowes has them in stock they are stainless. You can also go with stainless allen head screws but you have to be very careful about over torquing those and stripping out the carbs. Very easily done so be careful if you elect to go that route. Where are you located?
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

The screws for your carbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19536215292...3ABFBMnMXq3pJj

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	876568

Comment

I have good luck with the gaskets in these kits. They are Japanese made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19168402883...Bk9SR6LF6t6SYw

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (10).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	876570

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          Where are you located?
                          I'm in Southwest Ohio.

Comment

DEEBS11 is showing the good carb kits, but DO NOT use the jets!! Everything else is high quality and has worked for me a few sets of carbs. If someone has buggered a jet, replace ONLY with Mikuni!
                            Also, keep all the parts in a cup for each carb it came out of. Do not mix the jets or needles from carb to carb as they may have "worn in" to that carb. Mixing parts may cause problems trying to get things tuned properly.
                            For the slides, soak in Berryman's B12 Chemtool bucket carb cleaner. You probably have old gas/varnish causing the stuck slides, and PB Blaster will not cut through it.
                            Ace has a better selection of stainless steel metric screws that Lowe's. I know, I work part time at Lowe's!
                            Last edited by DiverRay; 12-23-2023, 10:36 AM.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

One bike I bought had slides that where stuck solid from varnish, I dropped them into a pot of boiling water and about 15 minutes later they slid right out.
                              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X