Headlight warning lamp always lit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight warning lamp always lit

My headlight warning lamp on the dash is staying on despite my headlight working just fine. A couple of weeks ago it came on and it was obvious why, the connector going into the fairing had come loose, after plugging it back in the warning lamp has stayed lit. Any ideas what I'm looking at here?
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Maybe try bypassing the RLU and see if anything changes. I'd also check the ground to the fairing.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'll probably get a chance to go over it with a fine toothed comb either today or tomorrow since I'm in a good spot to dig into it. Never did do the customary "Go over every connection and clean it" routine so that's on my agenda.

PS: Found a reasonable deal on a used XJ ignition system (pickups and CDI) just last night, should be here next week, fingers crossed!
      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Turns out that the connector coming off the fairing had nothing to do with it at all. By coincidence the low beam portion of the headlight bulb is burned out!
        1980 XS1100G

Comment

Ahhh, so the RLU was actually doing it's job, shifting the current over to the other filament. Sweet.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            Turns out that the connector coming off the fairing had nothing to do with it at all. By coincidence the low beam portion of the headlight bulb is burned out!
            Good for you! That's great. I HATE when I over-analyze something when it turned out it was something ridiculously simple in the first place.
            lol
            ( I used to type GFY! until someone pointed out it had other connotations. lol )

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post

Good for you! That's great. I HATE when I over-analyze something when it turned out it was something ridiculously simple in the first place.
              lol
              ( I used to type GFY! until someone pointed out it had other connotations. lol )
              Oh believe me, it was over analyzed due to the suspected cause/effect non-relationship.
              1980 XS1100G

Comment

Working...
              X