Leaky neutral switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky neutral switch

I cannot stop my neutral switch from dripping oil on my exhaust. It is leaking from the screw hole where the wire attaches. There seems to be some kind of annular gasket around it.
    I am tired of my bike smelling like a piece of junk and oil covering the underside.
    "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Switch is still available...

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p...al-switch-assy
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Cool! I somehow figured it would be unavailable.
      Thanks.
      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

You betcha, there is also a copper washer (banjo bolt washer) that sits underneath, also still available. Your old one will probably be fine or use a brake line washer which is the same size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	neutral switch.png Views:	0 Size:	22.1 KB ID:	875571
        Last edited by bikerphil; 09-26-2023, 06:45 AM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          You betcha, there is also a copper washer (banjo bolt washer) that sits underneath, also still available. Your old one will probably be fine or use a brake line washer which is the same size.

Click image for larger version Name:	neutral switch.png Views:	0 Size:	22.1 KB ID:	875571
          Thanks for that! I'm in the same position and just happen to have a few banjo bolt washers around.

Question: can this be taken out and serviced with oil still in the engine or should I wait until oil change time?
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Tilt the bike to the right and prop it up while removing the switch. The oil will be away enough.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Don't make the mistake of buying an aftermarket Chinese made switch off of Ebay. Buy an original replacement.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Sure enough the switch itself is leaking on mine and not the washer, I'll be finding out if the Chinese knockoff I got on eBay works later today.
                1980 XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  Sure enough the switch itself is leaking on mine and not the washer, I'll be finding out if the Chinese knockoff I got on eBay works later today.
                  I tried those and they don't fit tight enough and will allow oil to get past the washer. The threads are not cut tight enough to make a good seal. Maybe they have fixed that but I tried two of them with no success. Getting that sensor on and off is a big enough pain to not want to do again and again. Why I suggested not to buy or use them and to get an original. Costs more but generally last for a good while.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

I tried those and they don't fit tight enough and will allow oil to get past the washer. The threads are not cut tight enough to make a good seal. Maybe they have fixed that but I tried two of them with no success. Getting that sensor on and off is a big enough pain to not want to do again and again. Why I suggested not to buy or use them and to get an original. Costs more but generally last for a good while.
                    I haven't dug into it yet but perhaps a wrap with some Teflon tape will help, thanks for the heads up.
                    1980 XS1100G

Comment

Use a NYLON washer and some thread seal, NOT teflon tape! Yamabond non hardening should do the trick, and not get bits of teflon into the oil system.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I tried all of that and the thing still leaked around the washer. My solution was to chuck those in the trash and I bought brand new ones and that solved the problem. I hope you have better luck then I did. Keep us posted.
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        Jim

Comment

An OEM switch is only $25, why risk buggering up the threads in the case with el cheapo?
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            An OEM switch is only $25, why risk buggering up the threads in the case with el cheapo?
                            Because I'm not a rich bas#@d looking to pi@# away his kids inherence. Besides I have other hobbies like housing myself and eating.
                            Last edited by LAB3; 10-05-2023, 03:15 AM.
                            1980 XS1100G

Comment

Ok, your choice, just saying. A burger and fries is about $25 these days.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X