X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nail in rear tire

would it ever be safe to plug or patch?
    80 G

I've used plugs in rear tires with never a problem. I'll put a mark on the sidewall where the plug is located so I can check on it from time to time for leaks with a spray bottle. I find the leather plug strips are the better type.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-30-2023, 11:40 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

As Phil stated, use the sticky arse leather plugs soaked with 3M weatherstrip adhesive (the yellow type) and you shoudn't have to look back. I usually cut the strip of leather in half and get two plugs out of one strip.
      What ensures a successful job is using a set of good quality tools, reamer and plug installer.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
        would it ever be safe to plug or patch?
        I never plug any tire. I would take the tire off and have it patched. Having it patched would also depend on the age and wear of the tire. Of course that is just my opinion. One thing about two wheels... they need to be reliable.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

I would put on a new tire. Not worth the risk. It's possible the nail severed or weakened one of the belts and Its a powerful, heavy bike. I have plugged motorcycle tires to get them home. Plugs do work great on car & lawn tractor tires but motorcycle equipment failure could be deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
            I would put on a new tire. Not worth the risk. It's possible the nail severed or weakened one of the belts and Its a powerful, heavy bike. I have plugged motorcycle tires to get them home. Plugs do work great on car & lawn tractor tires but motorcycle equipment failure could be deadly.
            I have to admit...........I replace the tire as well. Two wheels versus four. No need to risk a blow out on two wheels.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X