Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Switch

I am figuring out the ignition switch on my 1980 xs1100 special. I know it is a two position switch but there are 4 wires. Can someone explain what the four wires are. I don’t see them on the wiring diagram and was wondering why 4 wires are needed for a 2 position switch. Thanks

Red: Power into the switch
    Brown: Power out of the switch to the fuse panel
    Blu: Power to the tail/running light
    Other wire: Power to the emergency flashers

It is actually a 3 position switch, the far left position (key needs to be pushed down while turning) is for running/parking light/steering lock.

The earlier 78-79 models had a 3 wire switch as these bikes did not have emergency flashers.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-19-2023, 04:41 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If the switch is the stock switch, it's a FOUR position switch. Going from "run", counter clockwise, 1. Run 2. Stop 3. Lock, with front wheel full left or right 4. Park light, turns on tail and front running lights for night visibility.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Got it. So if I’m getting a universal ignition without lock I would need a 3 position switch 1.Off 2. Parking/emergency 3. Run?

Comment

I would replace it with an OEM switch myself. If you want just the off/run, that is OK as well. You will need to look at how the emergency flashers are wired to still use them. You don't "need" the park light feature.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X