Starter gear trashed, trans seized.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LambdaMatters View Post

I unfortunately do not… is there a pdf somewhere? I really don’t want to go in blind but i will. I may even record everything so i can remember.
    Unfortunately, the fella who hosted the PDF manuals is no longer around and his website is gone. Maybe someone else has another link or you could probably find a paper copy on Ebay for $20 or so.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

To anyone wanting to see what im dealing with:
      78 E

Comment

Originally posted by LambdaMatters View Post

I unfortunately do not… is there a pdf somewhere? I really don’t want to go in blind but i will. I may even record everything so i can remember.
        You may find what you are looking for here:
        Ringler.us | Manuals & Resources | Yamaha
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post

You may find what you are looking for here:
          Ringler.us | Manuals & Resources | Yamaha
          Alright well this is very helpful! Thank you!
          78 E

Comment

It seems like there might be more to it than the starter gear.

First question is what caused those gear teeth to be ripped off? Seems like something could have jammed downstream.

Second question is why the rear wheel doesn't turn if the transmission is in neutral. The starter clutch should not be engaged, so unless the broken starter gear teeth got into the transmission, maybe something else is the root cause?
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Send me a pm, I do have PDF's, but they need to be emailed. Too big for the site.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                It seems like there might be more to it than the starter gear.

First question is what caused those gear teeth to be ripped off? Seems like something could have jammed downstream.

Second question is why the rear wheel doesn't turn if the transmission is in neutral. The starter clutch should not be engaged, so unless the broken starter gear teeth got into the transmission, maybe something else is the root cause?

well i went to move it literal seconds before and it rolled without issue, went to start it, heard a clunk and starter free spun. Went to move it back into the garage and had to drag it.. so i am assuming that the section of gear is definitely stuck somewhere.
                78 E

Comment

You have a good feel for what happened, but doesn't it seem strange this happened out of the blue?

Is it possible one or more pistons were hydro-locked from gas leaking out of the carbs? A check of the oil level might be relevant.

Otherwise, it would probably be the only time any of us has ever heard of this failure happening spontaneously.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

No, I know of two bikes that locked up with trans gear failure! I have both engines in my garage at the moment. And No, I was not riding them when they let go, a PO did that TWICE on the same bike! I've NOT seen a starter gear go, but if a trans gear lost a tooth, and locked up the trans, it could break the starter gear.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                      You have a good feel for what happened, but doesn't it seem strange this happened out of the blue?

Is it possible one or more pistons were hydro-locked from gas leaking out of the carbs? A check of the oil level might be relevant.

Otherwise, it would probably be the only time any of us has ever heard of this failure happening spontaneously.
                      I think the bike has been warning me of this for a while, i was having starting issues for a while, starter kept disengaging, the engine turns over freely after having check after you mentioned. And the bike had previously started about 10-15 minutes prior for a warm up. Im just gonna tear into it and see whats up.

EDIT: the broken starter gear still spins freely.
                      78 E

Comment

Working...
                      X