No announcement yet.

Special petcock replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My petcock rebuild isn't successful (yet?). The bike runs fine, but I took my tank off after a ride and when I unhooked the fuel line on one side the gas poured out. Other side fine. Double checked and it doesn't seem gas was getting past the carbs and into the crankcase.

Switching the petcock to prime stopped the flow. Switching the other side to prime didn't start the flow. So something wasn't put together correctly, and I wonder about that little brass valve working on the one side (previous post above). I thought I was being careful to pay attention when dismantling but maybe not careful enough. There are tiny holes in the casting, the middle plate, and the rubber flaps. Hard to know if things are properly aligned. those rubber and centre plate pieces could each be positioned in 4 ways

Does anyone have a good clear picture of how the parts are supposed to align when assembling?

The alternative is to abandon and use non vacuum type, I guess add filters below? Already spent $70 CDN on the rebuilt kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	petcock parts.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	873846
    Attached Files
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

That's a lot of parts.I still have the original petcocks from my 80 SG but am not going to take them apart. Filters were removed a long time ago as they were bad.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Sounds like you might have the turn handle from the left petcock on the right petcock. Try switching the turn handles.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Does anyone have a good clear picture of how the parts are supposed to align when assembling?
          Rebuild video of a similar vacuum operated tap, 8:45 time is where the diaphram assembly starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIpEbkFd8mg
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

Rebuild video of a similar vacuum operated tap, 8:45 time is where the diaphram assembly starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIpEbkFd8mg
            Thanks, saw that. Different petcock. No pegs to align, or opening at side of spacer on mine

Comment

I'll look thru my stuff and see if I have one I can disassemble.

Name:	IMG_20230531_221356.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	873877

Name:	IMG_20230531_221404.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	873878
              Last edited by bikerphil; 05-31-2023, 08:15 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Name:	IMG_20230531_221922~2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	873880

Name:	IMG_20230531_222147~3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	873881

This is a right side. As for the diaphragm, just line up all the holes as close as possible, the tap body, the plastic spacer, the rubber diaphragm, and the cap.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Bikerphil - thank you for that picture. I thought you were on to something but mine checked out same as yours, and after studying the connecting pathways in each position it made sense to me that the right side was on the right side.

What I did find upon disassembling was some white crumbly gunk that probably was casing the diaphragm to stick open. I think the white gunk is from water in the fuel at some point. So another round of cleaning, and also a bit of expanding the spring and reassemble. No gas running out in "on" position or reserve, but unfortunately not in prime position either. I can't make sense of that yet.

So, a mystery not completely solved, but the bike runs and the gas isn't pouring out in normal "on" position, so I'm moving on with my life hoping that the gunk didn't make it's way further. So far OK. I'm due for a carb clean - next chapter of bike maintenance.

Comment

No problem Brian. That is strange what you are describing with no prime flow on that one side. The gas shutting off when it should is good though and now you can continue riding and enjoy the summer.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Working...
                    X