Powder Coated Spare Parts that'll make you drool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coated Spare Parts that'll make you drool

For your viewing pleasure....As I work on the dueling project, I've been going through my many boxes of spare parts to figure out what I already have for the projects and what I need to buy. This box of extra spare parts was black powder coated and never installed. I may use a few of the parts but I think there are some standard parts mixed in with the special parts that I am looking for. The rest will eventually go up for sale. Anyhow, I thought some of you might enjoy this picture, even though the picture doesn't show the high gloss beauties that they are, to me it's fine art!

Click image for larger version  Name:	powdercoat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	872707
    Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 03-09-2023, 03:20 PM.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Nice work.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

that main stand looks far to rough to use on your bike so send it over to the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
        that main stand looks far to rough to use on your bike so send it over to the UK
        Ha! maybe on the next boat across? Should be there by Christmas!
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

Nice parts Ranger. Question about lower triple tree: Is the lower race surface powder coated? I can't tell from the picture. It looks like the threads only are taped off. The coating would have to be removed to install the lower race. I have run into this situation myself with coated parts that needed removal in certain areas. This can be a real pain in the @ss. Even paint stripper won't work in some cases. Using abrasives can remove metal. BTW, I love the foot pegs.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
            Nice parts Ranger. Question about lower triple tree: Is the lower race surface powder coated? I can't tell from the picture. It looks like the threads only are taped off. The coating would have to be removed to install the lower race. I have run into this situation myself with coated parts that needed removal in certain areas. This can be a real pain in the @ss. Even paint stripper won't work in some cases. Using abrasives can remove metal. BTW, I love the foot pegs.
            I think the whole stem is wrapped up !!!!

Comment

Deebs, It looks like the entire shaft was taped up before powder coating the triple tree. I peeled back a corner of the tape for this pic. I believe this one is for a standard model and I don't know if it will work on my specials??

Click image for larger version

Name:	tripletree.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	872735
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

Does anyone know what the two parts that I have circled are?

Name:	powdercoat3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	872737
                Bob's Bikes:
                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                "
                Project XS11"
                "Rucksack Grunt"
                "Small Unit Leadership"
                "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                For Sale Here.

Comment

It's a good thing that was masked properly. It's very difficult to remove powder coating if needed on an interference fit. I have wasted many hours with that fun project.

I have read that Standard triple trees and Special triple trees are different but I don't suspect that is true. The fork tubes, calipers and lowers are different. Crazy Steve makes no mention of triple tree differences in his writings on model differences. The main difference between front ends is the fact that the Special front axle is mounted forward of the slider and the Standard is mounted in the middle. This changes wheelbase length for better ride geometry over bumps in the case of the Special. Good for sidecar rigs also.

Comment

They kinda look like KZ1000 type. Maybe Suzuki.

Comment

I have read that Standard triple trees and Special triple trees are different but I don't suspect that is true. The fork tubes, calipers and lowers are different. Crazy Steve makes no mention of triple tree differences in his writings on model differences. The main difference between front ends is the fact that the Special front axle is mounted forward of the slider and the Standard is mounted in the middle. This changes wheelbase length for better ride geometry over bumps in the case of the Special. Good for sidecar rigs also.

The triple trees are different because of the Special's axle being forward of the forks & the standard's axle being centered on the forks. You can mix & match but you change the geometry of the steering.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Red, I find this conversation interesting because the fork lower is what changes the geometry and that is absolutely a visual difference that can be seen and measured. If the triple trees are, in fact different, they could only differ in the angle of how they hold the fork itself. The tube diameter is the same. BTW this angle bore trick is done with Harleys and Goldwings with sidecar specific aftermarket triple trees.

To my knowledge, a difference in machining of the two types has never been shown or proven on this forum or any. Does anybody here have two sets that have a measurable difference in tolerance? This info would be very valuable to clear up this question.

Comment

I looked up original part numbers and the numbers are different for the two. This does not mean they are bored differently. Sometimes parts are the same from bike to bike yet they are numbered differently. Kawasaki is famous for this. An actual measurement would be needed to prove the difference. Maybe I will pick up a Special lower tree from Ebay and measure it. Lots of mislabeled used parts on Ebay may make this difficult. If it measures different it could be useful for my sidecar rig. Here is another cool way to kick out the front axle.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post

The triple trees are different because of the Special's axle being forward of the forks & the standard's axle being centered on the forks. You can mix & match but you change the geometry of the steering.
                            AND steering geometry seems like something I should not be messing with!! The glossy standard triple tree appears to have significant differences to the special one on the right. I've pretty much decided I'm not going to try using the standard T on my special. I think I'll just paint the old one. But Deebs, I'll be glad to provide more pictures or attempt measurements comparing the two if you tell me where to measure.

Name:	tripletreecomparison2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	872755

Name:	tripletreecomparison1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	872756

Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

Outstanding Ranger! You can clearly see the difference. Not sure if the bore angle is different but the proximity from fork tube to the tree axle is narrow on the special. Must have different wheel spacers too because the rims are the same. They must have wanted a slimmer front end look on the Special to emulate a Harley Narrow Glide. Very cool info.

Comment

Working...
                              X