Vacuum Advance Diaphram Assembley Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Advance Diaphram Assembley Replacement

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I chimed in. I have a question about the topic. Obviously buying this part new is out of the question. It seems only people selling them nowadays on FleaBay are selling with the whole pickup coil assembly and think the wires are made of gold. So, I'm curious since vacuum diaphragms were and still are used in many engines, has anyone ever found a suitable replacement or method to replace the OEM-installed version from another motor that will work as well?
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

I have a good NOS vacuum pod if you need it.
    80 G

Comment

Thanks, I'm good for now. Good to hear from you again. bikerphil was able to figure out how to fix the one I had to get to have more of a throw. Apparently, the one I had in my 80 G had one that Yamaha put in some bikes as a fix to stop them from knocking so much. Found a TSB actually about it.

I thought I had a spare additional in my parts box, but it turned out I don't. However, I may need it in the future because I have another bike that does have one needing replacement in the future. I was more curious though if anyone was able to adopt one from another bike or motor to work as a replacement though. I'll PM you about the one you have though.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Hey Jonathan, I've had a project on the back burner for a while now. That is to modify this vacuum break I have here. It's intended for an Olds with Quadrajet carb. It has plenty of travel which would need to be limited. It will just barely will fit under the side cover. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230306_203752~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	872638

It may not be the best candidate. I did modify one years ago from a Cadillac carburetor which was smaller and got it to work until I found a proper one.
        I may be wrong but I believe the XS11 is the only bike with a mechanical vacuum advance.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bikerphil; 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I may be wrong but I believe the XS11 is the only bike with a mechanical vacuum advance.
          My 1983 Goldwing had one
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

My 1983 Goldwing had one
            That is good to know. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230306-214300.png
Views:	136
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	872642