Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drilled disc rotors:

https://xs11.club/forum/modification...d-brake-rotors

I used member DennyZ's ^^^ drilled disc rotor pattern only doubled the pattern on each disc for my full dressed '80G.
    The rear squealed so loudly when it heated up I had to take it off and put a stock one back on.
    The fronts work great !!!
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Hi Schming, question on the vibration when heated: Were the holes cleaned up after drilling? (chamfered). If they were, another possible issue could be perhaps too much metal was removed and they could flex under a high stress situation. Of course this doesn't make much sense because the front units work OK. But they are a little cooler out in front.

Comment

Just wondering if pad wear is affected at all when used with a drilled vs. plain rotor. Never had a problem stopping in the rain - more concerned about compensating for road conditions / traction loss - thinking the slot in the middle of the pads must be helping dissipate water. Running good quality pads and down-shifting a lot I've found helps, too. However, when you really need stopping power is usually not an occasion you've seen coming well in advance. Was involved with a local rider training program years ago and always imparted to my students - "Drive Paranoid! Never mind this Drive Defensive stuff! Most everything else on the road is much bigger and heavier than you." The point I'm trying to make is that good driving habits, paying attention, not tailgating and staying out of blind spots will reduce the need to go hard on the binders regularly, as I assume most of you old sages already know these nuggets of wisdom - that's why you're still riding.
        Last edited by LenB; 03-19-2023, 01:04 PM.
        1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
        1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
        Owned - 1976 XS750D
        Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
        Owned - (unknown year) XS650
        (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
          Hi Schming, question on the vibration when heated: Were the holes cleaned up after drilling? (chamfered). If they were, another possible issue could be perhaps too much metal was removed and they could flex under a high stress situation. Of course this doesn't make much sense because the front units work OK. But they are a little cooler out in front.
          Hi DEEBS11,

I chamfered all 84 holes, both sides, in each disc rotor. My guess is that too much metal was removed not leaving ample heat sink capability, but it looks great hangin' on the shop wall
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
          X