Standard vs. Special Front End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard vs. Special Front End

Couple Quick Questions: Is the calipers on the Specials and the Standards the same? If not, can I use Special Calipers and Mounting Brackets on a standard front end? What year has the slotted front rotors? Can I use a slotted rotor on the rear? I have a set in my garage I'll be using for a project. Can I use a 15.8mm piston Master Cylinder with stock brakes?
    Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-03-2023, 02:18 PM.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

the callipers are not interchangeable. you would have to change the whole front end

Comment

The slotted rotor started around 1980. The rotors are interchangeable for different years. I believe you must keep fronts and rears separate. They may not be interchangeable.

Comment

Did any Standards use slotted rotors? I have a front end with slotted rotors, but can't remember if it came off a Standard or Special.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Did any Standards use slotted rotors? I have a front end with slotted rotors, but can't remember if it came off a Standard or Special.
          Could the slotted rotors be something that where available in the aftermarket?
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The 81 Standard (Venturer) has slotted rotors. You can put a front slotted rotor on the rear as long as it is a right side rotor.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Phil is right. The slots are directional.

Comment

does it really make that much difference though ? ive seen many bikes with the front disc's on the wrong side, slotted and curved drilled and still do the job. one of my 1200 bandits had the front disc's on opposite sides for a long time until i noticed them !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                  does it really make that much difference though ? ive seen many bikes with the front disc's on the wrong side, slotted and curved drilled and still do the job. one of my 1200 bandits had the front disc's on opposite sides for a long time until i noticed them !!!!
                  Does it make a difference which way they go? Probably does on some level known only to the minds of those that design such things. Hey, I'm one of those kinda guys who's not against breaking the rules but at some point you have to accept that the folks who design things have more experience and knowledge than I do! Will it still work? Probably. Is it set up for optimum capability if I do it "Their way"? Yes. Does it really matter? Give it a try, you probably won't know until you do.
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

According to rumors not read fact, the thought with grooves or holes in rotors is to disperse water in heavy rain and snow. The question of pattern direction would depend on possible rain/water "fling" off the rotors in motion in either direction. May not matter but they are certainly balanced to go in either direction.

Comment

Also, I do not believe the rotor effects the speedometer drive like an EVO Harley. Some bikes are notched in the rotor for the drive.

Comment

Looks like I got lucky: Greg says it's a Standard front end.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

For the record, the XS1100 standard has a front suspension made by KYB. The axle is mounted on the bottom of the sliders. The Special front suspension was made by Showa. The axle is mounted on the front of the sliders. Fenders, fork braces and calipers do not interchange.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

And yes, the holes/slots DO make a difference in the rain! I had my first '78 rotors drilled by a machine shop after blowing through a stop sign in the rain. Always stopped when needed after that.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              And yes, the holes/slots DO make a difference in the rain! I had my first '78 rotors drilled by a machine shop after blowing through a stop sign in the rain. Always stopped when needed after that.
                              yep, bang on Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X